Marathon Trainers

Week of 1 - 7 Sept 2008 (Read 163 times)

Bugs

Brian, Hope your child is better. It's exhausting taking care of a sick little one. Probably smart to skip the LR, stay rested don't get the illness yourself. Erika, I think you are fine to keep running, just keep watching it like you are. Everybody told me not to run when I hurt my feet but actually the running made it feel better. Running will help break up the scar tissue crap. Just because you're running doesn't mean your not continuing to heal. (BTW, my feet took 4 months to stop hurting.) My ankle got stiff over the night but after gentle stretching nothing hurts. I am going to try for 10 tonight. Stopping in the middle to make sure all is OK. I know it's a little early to go that distance but sometimes it's better to keep training, keep everything stretched out. Otherwise next week it'll be tight and higher chance of tearing something. We'll see if it's smart plan or not so. Baby went to school today, he was so excited, spent extra time getting ready wearing his fanciest clothes. Mom almost Cry

Bugs

Dave

Erika, nice pace on those last couple of miles. Glad to hear your foot seems to be improving. I'm sure taper will help. Congrats on signing up for Boston. I'm just a couple of decades away from qualifying Big grin Bugs, couldn't you test it out with a nice 5 miler? Hope it goes OK for you. 9 miles today in more sweltering heat. Got out fairly early and that helped. Sort of an odd run. Easy warmup then a bunch of miles at MP (8:35-8:40), then faster down to a 7:43, then stopped at a water fountain and slowed down for the rest of the run. If I had a "stupid" category in my log I would've put it in that way but logged as "fartlek" instead.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Aw Dave, don't be so hard on yourself. Besides, Fartlek is more fun to say than stoopid. Bugs, my baby started high school this year. Egads, and he's taller than I am by almost 2 inches! When did that happen? I'm the shortest one in the house now, well besides the dog and cat. I got up at oh-dark-ugly to get my 8 miles in today. That sucked. I don't know how people who run at 5 a.m. do it. I did get to bed earlier (around 10), got to sleep probably 10:30'ish... got up around 1:30 for bathroom break and I was starving. Convinced my stomach it wouldn't die to wait till breakfast, got up at 4:45 and on the road by 5. Was hungry and thirsty by mile 4... I'd had half glass of water beforehand. Legs-o-lead sort of run, but got it done. Today's schedule wouldn't allow a daytime or afterwork run, so early it had to be. Glad that's over.

Bugs

Dave, You make me laugh. 5 mile was yesterday, it feels so normal I figured I'd go on a longer run. I only missed a couple days of running, but feels like I'm falling behind. Your run wasn't stupid, it was very good training for that 10K we're going to race. Smile Erika, They do grow up fast don't they. The bus got them to school late and the 7 yr old did not want to walk 5 yr old to his classroom (like Mother instructed). I guess I should be like one of those Mom's that follow the bus to school and walk them to class. I hope you have the stay out of trouble kind of kids. I promised my kids that if they have NO that if there are no notes sent home we'll go to Disney World. (It'll never happen.) I can easily get up in the AM if I know it's the only time I can run. One day a week I meet a friend and we run 10 miles at m-pace together. Much easier with a friend. Recommend, when you get up to pee drink a glass of water. You'll feel better when you run. Thought you'd be use to the dark from your winter runs. 12 miles, avp pace 9:10. Ankle was sore the last mile but seemed fine when I stopped running. I hope it doesn't start screaming during the night.

Bugs

Bugs

Update on Ankle: Seems about the same.

Bugs

evanflein

Thought you'd be use to the dark from your winter runs.
              But it takes awhile to get used to that again, and it's a gradual process. Remember, I'm coming off several months of 18-20+ hours of daylight! I drove in the dark with my headlights on for the first time in months just a couple weeks ago... My kids would die if I drove behind the bus. Heheh, I should do it, honking and waving at them... heheh. It's funny that what they'd like and find reassuring when they're starting grade school would be totally mortifying to them in high school! Big grin Since I took Tuesday as a rest day, I'll be doing my Tuesday run today. Just 4-5 easy miles at lunchtime, a much more civilized hour if you ask me.

Bugs

Erika, If you really want to embarass them make them pack an extra set of clothes in case of pooping accident. "But Mom nobody else brings extra clothes". Then go tell his teacher that he had an enema this morning, and "if he says he has to go to the bathroom I WOULD NOT wait." Sad I'm sure teenagers provide a different set of struggles. On the flip side 5 yr old wanted to be held this morning and that was kind of nice. I forgot about the daylight thing. How are your legs feeling? When is your 2nd marathon? I still gotta come run with you! I moved up an appointment with doc to today and going to have him look at this ankle. I hope he'll give me the what he would do as a runner advice and not the doctor's perspective. I'm still hoping to run 60 miles next week. Undecided My legs are so over rested and just want to run.

Bugs

Dave

Thats just cruel, Bugs Big grin 8 more for me today. Mostly easy with one hard mile around mile 7. Hot and humid (Shan, I know you're feeling this too). Hoping for 5 tomorrow for my first 50 mile week. Tropical storm coming up the coast (about 80 miles south it's raining) so may not be able to fit them in. Overall, I'm pretty beat up from the mileage but I'm afraid I got too dehydrated and now have a flare up of gout in my foot. At least its sore. We'll see what happens.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

I went out for what was supposed to be an "easy" run, but fast felt easy today for the most part. So much different than yesterday when the pace was slower but the effort so much harder... 5.5 miles, 7:58 avg pace. Mile Splits: 8:10, 8:10, 8:07, 7:51, 7:34, 7:47 for last half mile. Really nice out there... 52F and sunny/cloudy with no wind. I need to stay off that nice dirt bike path when I'm trying for easy pace. It's just too "fast" to not let go. And my other options have too many hills! Argh. Dave, isn't gout a flare up from too much uric acid, i.e., too much protein in your diet? (if you're susceptible, that is) I saw something about it when I was looking up my metatarsal problem...

Dave

Dave, isn't gout a flare up from too much uric acid, i.e., too much protein in your diet? (if you're susceptible, that is) I saw something about it when I was looking up my metatarsal problem...
                      It is but dehydration is a contributing factor as well. I haven't had a problem in a few years since I've been running consistently. The increased circulation from the exercise seems to hold it at bay. This isn't as bad as previous outbreaks so I'm hoping some extra hydration will flush the uric acid away. Sucks.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dave, I know I'm an evil person. I did whisper to the teacher. Son did say his tummy felt much better. Gout sounds just awful. Chronic conditions like that are the most frustrating. Erika, Wow that's fast. I wish we had more up and down paths here. The roads seem either flat or 3/4 mile steep hills. Doc says ankle is tendonities. He was OK with how I was training through it. We agreed I probably should run my races, but not race them this weekend. Some of easy runs should be XTing next week with my most important runs pace runs. And move my LR to be 1 1/2 weeks away. Hopefully my graston doc will be able to make it feel better. (Run/Walking doesn't hurt, but if my foot is flat and raise my toe I feel it right in the middle of my ankle.) Told doc he was smart to get into sports medicine, steady income there. Doc is a natural. His miles are low, but he does run long, he's ran up to 24 miles, but no 60 mile weeks like I have. He will be about a 3:10 marathon. Not fair. Although, I wonder if he down grades how far he runs.

Bugs

Dave

Erika, I didn't even look at your run and splits. I am jealous of both the 52 temps and how easy it sounds like it felt. I've been running some miles in the 7's and I wouldn't describe too many of them as "easy", at least for me. Guess I'll get a better guage as the temps drop here. FWIW, I brought the gout stuff on myself this time, I think. Couple of extra beers this week along with the extra mileage probably didn't do me any favors. My diet isn't terrible but we did have steak last night. Bugs, nice that you can run though it but I hope you take it easy on the races. I'm such a nag.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Sitting at work today I didn't have a clue how to fit my 18-miler into the weekend. Husker game tomorrow morning (and I didn't feel like the usual 5:00 alarm), Eagles concert tomorrow night (finally a date night with DW) and I don't usually like pushing them to Sunday. So, I went at 8:30 tonight and it was kinda fun. Best weather in months, about 65 with lower humidity than normal. Definitely felt like my first 18 in 4 months, but made it through not feeling too bad. Much better than my first 18 miler last time around, it was worse than the 20s. Well, better get to bed, DS will be up at 7:00 no matter how late I stay up. Shan??? Mr. I??? Bueller . . . Bueller . . .

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - I am lurking but here. Smile

Dave

Seems like everyone is too busy enjoying the cooler weather and not posting about it Cool Schedule called for 20 today but I just couldn't get my head around it. By the time I got out the door for my run, it was too late to get in all 20 and return in time for church. So I did just under 13 at (hopefully) marathon pace. Lots of hills but the cooler weather felt great. Gout went away pretty quick as I stopped all alchohol (always a trigger for me) and hydrated better. Hope everyone else's nagging injuries (feet, ankles, motivation) are feeling better. Race day getting closer for everyone.

dgb2n@yahoo.com