Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/23 (Read 280 times)

Dave - you're going to do great. The pace being slow for the first 5 really helps you keep your energy for the rest of the run.
    How about some pics, Lou?
    How about this? I'll post some pictures later -- we did take some yesterday and I plan to bring my camera with us while skiing today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Very cool Lou! Well, instead of friends watching my kids so I can run, I ended up watching their child. But that's totally OK. Smile I'm anxious to get back to a regular routine. Bugs, I forgot, is Fargo a training run and Grandma's your goal race?
      evanflein

Hope everyone has a great day today. Shan, that's terrible news. Hang in there and be kind to yourself. How'd the run go, Bugs? I'm thinking it's a beautiful day, and I'd love to run outside today... but there's just too much snow out there. Got more last night, too. My back is sore today from all the shoveling I did yesterday, but I don't think it'll slow me down too much. I was going to try 10/10 on my run today, but I really don't think I can stand 10 miles at 8:49 pace (which is where I usually start out). So, probably will work up a 5/5/5/5 plan, starting at 8:49 and ending at 8:20. That should work. Play with the elevation a bit and I think I can make this work. Lord help me.... Haven't done 20 on a treadmill since January 2006 training for Napa, when it was -45 for the entire weekend. Ugh.

Dave

Nice pic, Lou Big grin I did my best to take advice but came up a little short on the follow through. Managed to keep the pace under or at 9 until mile 10 and then just sort of got into a "comfortably hard" pace and held it to the end. Total was 20.6 with the last 10 at around a 7:45 average pace. Felt like I could hold it a bit longer. I feel like I'm faster than last time. I'm just not sure I'm going to be 10 minutes faster than last time Tongue Sorry to hear about the snow, Erika. It looks like we're going to get one final winter blast as well.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Shan - so sorry to hear about your student, and what happened with your dog? Nice run, Dave. A real confidence builder! Erika - hope you can listen to some good tunes for the TM run

Oh Mighty Wing

Lou - she was too big to keep in my small apartment. She was always under my feet and I couldn't get her the exercise she needs - if she were older it might have been different but at 9 months she just had WAY too much energy for our current situation. She had come soo far and will be an awesome addition into a family with kids to play with and people to love and exercise her. That was a really hard day for me... there were lots of tears. But I hear she is doing awesome - like she never left.
                Sorry, Shan, that must have been hard. She'll have a good life with her new family.

Oh Mighty Wing

Sorry, Shan, that must have been hard. She'll have a good life with her new family.
                  she will.... How's the skiing going?? MTA: I have a confession - yesterday I made raisin bread - today I ate the remaining 99%. No It was freakin delicious!!!! I also ate a hamburger - it was disgusting and disappointing...
                    How's the skiing going??
                    Thanks for asking! We didn't go skiing at all last year due to work, and first day out we always hold back a bit to test our legs. Actually I held back more than Harriet did, I think, because we were skiing together and I have more experience than she does. We did mostly intermediates, and a couple were more challenging with some fluffy stuff and even a few bumps. We'll take lessons tomorrow at our individual levels which should give us more confidence and also give us a good tour of the mountain.

Oh Mighty Wing

Lou - that sounds like fun!!! I'm so glad it is going well!!

Bugs

Shan, Very sorry about your student.. Wow, you have been through so much lately. I hope you know that even though technically we are virtual friends, we are real people that really care about you, and that makes us real friends. You need support we're here. My friend bailed on me. I was feeling icky, took a three hour hard nap and then ran 16.25 miles at an 8:57 pace, very very consistant pacing. I've never done that in marathon training before. It wasn't an easy run, just took a lot of focus but I'm still fighting a cold, I had to run in the stupid cold with all my layers...and think it was a dandy good run, we'll see what coach says tomorrow.

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs, I forgot, is Fargo a training run and Grandma's your goal race?
                          YES Fargo is JUST training. We're discussing various strategies. One is is to walk the first mile or two. But we're hoping to let me run it at 4:20 pace. But I am to run it easy. If it becomes difficult I will drop out. A metal is not necessary for a training run, although boy I am going to have a hard time explaining dropping out to my non-running friends and family. But the focus is Grandmas, and the goal is 3:45. Right now after Fargo my longest run is 2 hours, but there will be some short races in there. Those should be fun.

Bugs

Dave

Bugs, I think that run will pay off big time. Really great job. I'm sure your coach will approve. Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

thank you. your support means so much to me. I really am doing well. I took all day today to hole up in my apartment and be miserable!! It was fantastic and just what I needed. A day to just feel and be miserable... it led me to eating alot! Big grin and a couple hours ago it was like a big weight was lifted and I just felt sooo much better!!! I am a pretty private person and I think I was waiting for the IRL people to back off so I could just deal with things the way I do. I feel like i'm ready to get back to it now - and that is a nice feeling!

Bugs

Bugs, I think that run will pay off big time. Really great job. I'm sure your coach will approve. Smile
                                THANKS! I am very happy with it too. He wants these long runs to be a key run, run them strong, not all out but not easy. You ran crazy fast today. Good work. Now if you can just keep running, but take easy I bet you've got a big PR coming.

Bugs