Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/14/10 (Read 228 times)

evanflein

Big shoes.

Pam, why are you taking Tylenol PM? That stuff does nothing for allergy symptoms or congestion. If it's truly allergies, you need to address that. I take a generic store brand of Zyrtec. (It's actually Fred Meyer or Kroger brand) Not expensive and works like a charm, you take one a day. If it doesn't help after a couple days, then you know it's not allergies you're dealing with.

I think Jeremy said he had a stress fracture? (maybe two?) And I think he's more than halfway through the recovery stage of no running.

I ran garminless last night, but not intentionally. Garmin died about a third of a mile into my run so I just ran a route where I knew the distance, and guessed at the time. It actually ended up being a good run of sub 8:30 average pace.

Today I ran 8.1 miles at lunch (took a long lunch break), mostly easy effort running but threw in several striders (20-30 seconds) in miles 5 & 6 at almost all-out effort. I think I was running mile race pace there for a bit! I lost track of how many I did, maybe 8 or 9? Was shooting for 10 but lost count. Those brought the overall pace down to just under 8 m/m for the whole run (mile 5 was 7:11 pace!). I don't do those often, and it was obvious because my pace was all over the place. But it was fun and a nice way to make the time pass on an otherwise longish unexciting run.

ETA: {{Cash}} Sorry your having so much trouble with your stoopid calves. That sucks.

((((CASH))))) I can only hope to run Western States Since I'm from Washington.

Erica, One of the main ingredients for Tylenol PM is benadryl hence why I was taking it. We have both Zyrtec and Clariton but both take a few days to kick in, something I'm considering doing however it would have no effect for the now which is why I was taking the Tylenol PM

Nice run today Erika and sorry the Garmin died

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

I think the Benadryl in the Tylenol PM is to help you sleep (it has a sedating effect on most people), but I don't think it's a strong enough dose to ease allergy symptoms. I think you're better off taking the actual allergy  meds. Hope you're feeling better soon!
          I'm on of those people that have crazy reactions to most meds so I RARELY take anything and when I do it's usually half the dosage. Course I'm sure zyrtec or clariton would work for me IF I remembered to take it each day. I have an issue with remembering. Anyway thanks!  I'll probably start taking zyrtec. If my kids can take it so can I

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sorry I havent been posting much...Ramping back up the miles. Should get to 30 miles this week. My dad and step mom coming to town for fathers day. Looing forward to that. They havent seen their granddaughter for 3 months, and shes changed so much. Crawling around now, saying 'dadda' and sometimes 'daddy'.

Im kinda focussing more on my weight loss than marathon training. Its going much better than expected. Im down to 183 from 197 lbs 3 weeks ago. this is just about the lowest Ive weighed since I took up running.

Im doing more shorter runs--starting to do some doubles of 3 -4 miles each. That seems better for weight loss goals and better for my schedule right now. And I should actually get in more miles this way.

Bugs, youre going to kill your marathon. Cant wait for you to run it and hear the report!

Yeah, Jeremy has a broken foot.

theyapper

On the road again...

Don't know how I missed/forgot about Jeremy's injury.

Went for a 90 minute run this morning - goal was to include some speedwork, but that didn't last long.  Ended up being a faster-than-normal-pace mid-week long run, but that's too long of a label for the log.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice to see you Murph!! They grow so fast and change so much the first year. Congrats on the weight loss!

Nice run Paul Smile

Well I have a spring cold! Dh is starting to show the same symptoms. Guess I already had the bug and running on Sunday lowered my immune system enough that the bug had at it and boom I'm sick. Explains why the Tylenol PM wasn't doing much. Didn't take anything last night so didn't sleep well and I feel like crap. Will probably run this evening if I run.

Bugs

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  I ran last night in the 85F and legs wanted to go at an 8:30 pace, I slowed it way down but it was hard to jog it.. Legs have never felt this ready to go before a marathon. Man though I feel fat, I wont' even step on the scale. I just hope these jelly legs (everything is loose - which is good) contain more muscle than they've had before.

Compared to last year's training/debacle... I've already met my goals.

Bugs

Bugs

Im kinda focussing more on my weight loss than marathon training. Its going much better than expected. Im down to 183 from 197 lbs 3 weeks ago. this is just about the lowest Ive weighed since I took up running.

AWESOME! Oh this is my first goal after marathon.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I see Paul managed to fit faster-than-normal-midweek-long-run onto his chart, with an abbreviated name.

Hope Pam can hydrate and sleep and blow through the cold.

Bugs: I think it is good for you to keep resisting the urge to go run fast and long -- until the marathon.

Swam my longest open water swim yesterday, then had a good run after. Right after the swim, the guy who was kayaking said a dorsal fin went in between him & me, but he didn't tell me because he didn't want to scare me. Good choice. I'd a been scared, I think. He said anyway the rays they get there in the river don't sting -- but I'm already starting to worry about jellyfish, because they are due here pretty soon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Legs have never felt this ready to go before a marathon.

Someone's fixin' to go kill a marathon!  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I'm blowing right through the tissue lol   BTW Thanks Perry I sure hope I get better soon too

Kimmie

I've been running- just not posting a ton.....

super busy with end of the year stuff.

Tonight is track.   Yay!!

I'm also excited that I'm starting up a boot camp for our neighborhood women next week.  I was really surprised that I got takers.... I thought that they would say no way.  They see me as some kind of super fit person who runs marathons.  Well, the truth is I really need a workout like this too.  So, I plan to organize it, but I will not be walking around, checking form... I want to participate.  We'll see.

Bugs, you'll do great... that is how you're supposed to feel right before a marathon.

Pam- feel better!!

Murphy- I've been wondering about you-   sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Paul-  90 minutes?  That's awesome!!

evanflein

Ended up being a faster-than-normal-pace mid-week long run, but that's too long of a label for the log.

Hey! I have a lot of those. I just put them down as "training run" most of the time. Nice run, regardless of pace!

Goooo Bugs!!! I'm getting excited for you! Be sure to get enough rest tonight because tomorrow night you might be a wee bit wound up. Hoping for good weather and conditions. If you get a favorable day weather wise, you're gonna knock this one out of the park!

Hey Murphy! Good job on the weight loss, wow. Wish my DH would get motivated to do that. (oops, did I just say that?) I think it's about time we got a new picture of you-know-who posted here...

The boot camp sounds like a good plan, Kimmie. Very cool that you got neighborhood participation! Do you have a program you follow for this or is it one you make up as you go? You've probably done these before as a trainer. I've never done one but have heard they can be very intense.

Perry, don't go telling us you're afraid of a dumb ol' shark. C'mon dude. You're ruining my image of you and your take-no-prisoners approach. Big grin

Hope you're feeling better, Pam. Maybe some sudafed if it's not allergies. Take care of yourself and don't push it. I know you've got the 100 miler coming up, but you don't want to be completely burned out at the starting line!

Another cool and cloudy day here. It looks more like late July or August than mid-June. This is usually our sunny, dry hot time of year. Weird weather. Planning a RAL, probably my standard 5 miler.