Marathon Trainers

Week of July 28 thru August 3 (Read 189 times)

evanflein

Shan, I like that... not knowing the difference between hard and harder. I believe there is merit in picking a tough marathon for your first. Heck, my first was the Equinox which is supposed to be second only to Pike's Peak for tough elevation and terrain! And I loved it. And... my goal ever since has been to beat my time that first time around on that course! Dave, yeah, the LHR folks always say I run too fast. But oh well, like I said the slower paces just feel awkward and uncomfortable. I go by effort, or "RPE" for rate of perceived effort and it seems to work for me! Rain has stopped, sun peeking out... I think I'm zipping out of here for a 5 miler!

Bugs

Bugs, a mix of those 2 plans could be interesting. I avoided the Pfitz plan this time because it has fewer, longer runs and I seem to feel healthier if I run more days/week. Seems like the 18/55 only had you running 4 days some weeks with a lot of cross training. I'm not very good about getting any cross training in. You've certainly got the long runs to jump into about any marathon anytime this fall. Had you been racing most weekends? How did you make that work with your long runs? I'd love to do more of the local 5k/10k races, but worry about turning around and doing a LR the next day.
      It was the 24 plan I've been glancing at, but really I'm only ready for that plan now. Pfitz does not cutback enough for me. I don't plan to run more 60 miles. But I was clearly ahead of Hal's so I added weekly mileage instead of LR miles during base building. I think it has helped me avoid injury. Sometimes I run 6 days, like on weeks I hit a new mpw. Then the next I might run the same mpw but only 5, then take a cut-back. I want to run 3 20's and one 22 and have 9+ weeks to the marathon. I'm not sure if I'll alternate LRs of 20-12-20-12, like Hal does or do it more like pfit. I'm kind of just deciding as I go with the reminder that rest is important too. I was racing a little more earlier in training and I would run say 17 one weekend, race the next weekend, and run 17 the next. Legs felt really good doing that. Racing on a Saturday, and running LR on Sunday isn't so bad, but DH likes to fish. Erika, tends to train like that. (pace on Sat, LR on Sunday) I think it is fine but you need to make at least Monday and Tuesday easy or rest days.

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs, WTG on the glasses! That's awesome. I need some sunglasses for running and biking, if only to help keep the bugs out of my eyes (especially on the bike). One of these years I'll do Twin Cities...
        The glasses seem really nice. Everything has more color, but the sun is still blocked out. You know when you decide to run Twin Cities I will run it too. Although I wasn't going to next year, course I say that every year.

Bugs

Bugs

I'm nervous and very excited. I hope that I can train well and fit in as many hills as possible and then I will just do my best. And then I will just plan on doing better on the next one!
          That's a great plan. It's such a thrill beating your last time. Make your first marathon all about completing your first marathon. Enjoy the run. The second one you can beat the time of your first.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Man you guys are just the support the doctor ordered!! Big grin 5 miles. Saw some friends somewhere in the middle so I walked and chatted a little with them. That was actually pretty nice.

Happy Camper

You all are making me feel like such a slacker with your training. Mine just keep on changing. It is now looking more like I'll be able to do the Heart of America on September 1st. DD should be back in the States the 3rd week of August. I have not ran longer than 14-miles in over a month. With 4 weeks to go and the temps what they are I can't claim to be too enthusiastic about doing a 20-miler either. There is a semi-formal 10k Saturday here that I can do for a tempo. You predict your time and the start is staggard. Goal is to have everyone finish close to the same time. The wild card is that you are allowed to sandbag to improve your odds. Winner gets their name on a humility trophy that they must return next year. Otherwise it has been a struggle lately to do 10.5 minute miles. I think I might as well just run easy in August and air it out on Labor Day. Not the smartest plan but time is running out. I dont' know how much there would be to gain out of wedging in a 20 just to say I've done one since June. Shan, Erika, Bugs, Dave, Cash, Brian, your training is going great!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - that predict your time thing sounds fun!! And you must be so excited for your DD to be coming home! 3rd week in Aug going to be here before you know it!
                Cashmason

7 miles tonight in an hour one minute... drat that one minute. Meant to bike today, but mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool and an earthquake changed those plans.

Bugs

P2R, You are so funny. Only running up to "14" miles. Most people can't run 1 mile. Smile That's an interesting race. We seem to be having more 5Ks around here, but they are not getting many people because they're all the same. Something out of the norm might get some more registerants. (?sp) Took yesterday as a restday. DH sent me to bed at 8:00, said I was like an overtired kid that is short on sleep and ate too much sugar. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - that's pretty funny. Cash - I hope that didn't earthquake didn't get to close.
                        After sleeping in yesterday I got 4 hot (95 degrees) miles in last night. Woke up this morning intending to run 6, but stopped at 3. Still can't totally shake this allergy/cold/whatever thing. I'm feeling better, but it's kinda in my chest now. Sure it'll be better tomorrow. We had a similar estimator race. I didn't run it, but it looked pretty cool. It was 8 miles, part road, part trail. Nobody knew the route, only when and where to start. No watches were allowed and there were no mile markers on the route. You guessed your time before you started and whoever came the closest, won. Our local trail & ultra group has had a few original ideas the last year or so.
                        evanflein

Now Brian, THAT is a neat idea! Guess your time but run naked. Cool, I love it. Hey Cash, what's shakin'? Heh, just some stoopid earthquake humor. We have tremblers all the time here. The difference here is we get a few shaken up moose and squirrels, but in CA they crumble freeways and such. Haven't felt a real good one in several years. Sorta miss it. I like earthquakes. Smile P2R, you've got a good enough base (or at least you had...) that you should be able to pull it off. Don't hurt yourself... {{tired cranky Bugs}} that's sweet. Mine just gets mad at me for being cranky and then HE goes to bed! Planning another after work run today. Don't think I'll run home though. I have an 8k race on Saturday so don't want to overdo hills today, but need to get 10 or so miles. So I'll run from my office out to the base of Ester Dome, the big ol' hill (mountain?) we climb for the Equinox, then back to the student rec center. Someone should be able to pick me up and take me home by then... or I'll just keep going and they can find me along the way. Good way to get some extra miles in! Our weather is pretty bad today, cool, windy, drizzly, fog by the river... ugh. Should clear up a bit later on though (I hope!).

Oh Mighty Wing

3 today... not a good 3... a dizzy 3... and so to fix that I ate a big pile o crap... clearly it is an indication of how little I ate today when all of my crap put me at just 2100 Cal or the day....

Dave

Great runs everyone. Sorry to hear you felt bad on yours, Shan. Still, 3 is 3. Way to push through. Feeling your pain on the heat, Brian. 4 for me in about 85F and 80% humidity. Forced myself to run in the evening (which I rarely do because I don't get to see DD2 because it gets so late and she's asleep). 8 at marathon pace planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Well, I finally got smart (I think) and skipped a run this morning. Still not feeling well and trying to run through it the last 2 days doesn't seem to be a good idea. I'll get back at it tomorrow and see how things go. Hopefully in good enough shape for 13 on Saturday. Now, if taking a day off would only fix this weather . . . Shan, nice looking pie you got there!