Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/18-8/24 (Read 259 times)

Dave

I guess there is a reason cows don't run.
    Too funny Bugs. And good job on the 10 even if you did get sick afterwards. 4.5 for me this morning at an easy HR. I say "easy HR" because my "easy" pace seems to be all over the place lately. Cooler mornings and some consistent weeks seem to be paying off in terms of pace. This AM, "easy" was closer to Erika territory. Scary Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

NYC is a lottery right, so you got in? Wow, thought that was pretty hard to do. Gosh I'd like to run that one, it's been on my list. Maybe I could join you. My DH will no go with me because of kids in school so it'd be a quick trip for me but I just didn't want to be alone for all the pre-race part.
      Actually, I got a free entry from ING... they have our disability plan, and I guess this is one of the perks of being in the benefits department cuz our rep gave me a sponsored entry! I'm hoping I can defer it to next year, if not then maybe I'll just have to buck up and go!! I'd love to run it, but it would be fun to go with someone and DH hasn't said much about it. I think he just assumes I'll cancel it... I haven't yet. Ever the optimist. Hey Dave... easy is as easy does, right? I just find it hard to go slower, I feel like I'm shuffling. My form goes to hell and it makes me more tired than just getting out there and running a comfortable pace. If I really have to go slow I usually hop on the treadmill where I can dial in a pace and leave it... although I usually get bored after a couple of miles and bump it up anyway. I'm hopeless. Heading for hills tonight... Looking at going up the "hill" that is the core of the Equinox. More of a mountain by many standards, and I know I'll do a lot of walking (and huffing and puffing), but I haven't tackled that one yet this year and the race is exactly one month away!! (Eeek!!)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - that sounds fun! If you decide to go let me know!! I'll come up (3 hours from here) and cheer you on!! 3 miles today. My legs were a little rusty, but once they realized what was happening they loosened up. Probably ran to fast because I'm now a little queasy, but it felt easy and that's what's important. Now I'm gonna turn on a movie and lay down! haha I have to say I really like running after work. I went into school today and brought my stuff so I could run right from the school. And I just really like that! DH says we're going to the gym tonight so I'm thinking recumbent bike for me!

Happy Camper

Flyby post for me for now, although I have enjoyed reading up on everyone. Third recovery run of the week this morning. I've had no zip at all. Was planning 40-miles for the week and will stick to it. I'll rest more next week if I don't break out of the funk. Monday I was sick mid-run and post. We opened up the windows with the cooling temps and my allergies have come back bigtime. Hope this weather holds. New shoes should arrive today and I need them. I am feeling every step with the current ones. DD arrives tomorrow. It will be good to see her. We are all going to the football game with Illinois on the 30th. It will be a great time. I am so ready for college football.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Well, it happened about this time last marathon cycle, and here it is again. I always feel just a little in my right shin, but at some point, it forces a few days off every now and then. I think now is that time. Was planning on 8, but stopped at 2 because the shin didn't feel good. First time tihs happened about a year and a half ago, I tried to run through it, and it took a couple weeks to get over. When it happened about 6 months ago, I stopped in time, and it just took a few days. Hopefully this one is the same. Plenty of time until the marathon (mid November), so I'm not too worried about missing a couple of runs. So, I'll just keep the running shoes in the closet until Saturday for my long run and bust out the frozen peas.

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker - sounds like a smart move! I hope it works! Pace - YEAH for your daughter coming home!! I bet you are super excited! And I hope the new shoes do good things for your feet.

Bugs

P2R, Looks like your running pretty good for not having any zip. Winter will be welcome huh. Erika, Hym seems like God wants to run NYC, else why give you a rare free entry? I am pondering an idea of running another marathon mid November, haven't had time to pick on yet though. Don't tell DH. Big grin Brian, Is it shin splints? Try a litte self massage. Works wonders for me. Went to bed early last night, was tired. Dropped the kids off at daycare (which is at their school they will start in the fall) and all these parents are there. Panic set it while I felt guilt for not going through the pile of mail and crap building in my kitchen. Ya wouldn't you know parents are suppose to go there today pick up school supplies, register, etc.. I completely forgot. Oh I'm juggling this running, parenting, work, etc.. but barely. I'd at least like to look like I have my crap together.

Bugs

Dave

I'm hopeless.
                  This time I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, just pleased with the improvement in my slow pace even at the same (143) HR. As long as my HR is down, faster is better for my easy runs. Yesterday it was around 8:30 so that was about a 30 second improvement. I only wish I could keep up with you on race day. Big grin Too much family drama here on vacation. I guess there's a reason we move out of our parents house. May get a run in later today but I'm not betting on it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - your picture is gorgeous! And you will get it all together. I mean really is it imperative to have supplies the first day? I would bet not. Dave - sorry to hear about drama. That really has a way of putting a good damper on things.
                    evanflein

Bugs I love your picture! Stunning, my dear. And we are soul sisters, I swear. The day I get all my crap together I'll probably fall over dead from shock! I have a few of those horrid piles of $hit building up in the house. What kills me is, most of it is not mine! And my guys (all three of them) go digging around looking for stuff, cursing that they can't find something they just knew was there, but they never do anything to clean it up!! So it would seem that they all expect ME to do it... I just say, "well, if you'd clean up this stuff and put your things away, maybe you could find it!!" Angry Argh. And it seems so unfair that when I have a few free moments, I think "Oh good, I can get this done or that done," and when they have free time they watch tv or take a nap!!! Grrrrr. Ok, [/rant] Brian, ice is your friend!! Forget the peas... get some paper Dixie cups, fill part way with water, freeze, and then use said frozen cups to ice your shins. Peel the paper off the end so the ice is exposed but you still have a paper cup "handle," sit on the floor with a towel under your calf, and rub that sucker back and forth over your sore shins. The ice will melt and drip, so you need the towel. By the time the ice is pretty much all gone, you've done a good icing job on your shin. Ice, ibuprofen and rest are pretty much the best cures for shin splints. And icing at the first sign (and backing off, like you're doing) will hold them at bay. Also, make sure you're not heel striking when you run, and go easy on hill work while you're healing. Shin splints suck. I had them in 2006 and tried to get rid of them before the Napa Marathon... really took the joy out of that one, I'll tell ya. Nice running Dave. And if you can do those paces in training, they'll be there on race day. I promise. Last night I ran up the Equinox hill. Well, "ran" is not quite right... I run/walk this thing. I haven't done as much hill work as I should have by now, so was concerned my time would suck and I'd die out there. But it was ok. Legs got tired, but I was able to keep up a good walk/run rotation the whole way. Went from mile 7.7 to just past mile 14, then turned around and went back up to the peak (about mile 13.5) where DH met me on his motorcycle to take me back down the hill. Then I ran from the base of the hill back to the car (.7 mile) to end on a nice flattish section. 7.7 miles in about 1 hr 21 minutes... Not bad actually. (all concept of marathon pace sort of dies on this course...)

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - sounds like a nice run!!

Bugs

Bugs I love your picture! Stunning, my dear. And we are soul sisters, I swear. The day I get all my crap together I'll probably fall over dead from shock! I have a few of those horrid piles of $hit building up in the house. What kills me is, most of it is not mine! And my guys (all three of them) go digging around looking for stuff, cursing that they can't find something they just knew was there, but they never do anything to clean it up!! So it would seem that they all expect ME to do it... I just say, "well, if you'd clean up this stuff and put your things away, maybe you could find it!!" Angry Argh. And it seems so unfair that when I have a few free moments, I think "Oh good, I can get this done or that done," and when they have free time they watch tv or take a nap!!! Grrrrr. Ok, [/rant]
                          I hope for your sake you are not blessed with a sister that has it all together. I do and she just shakes her head at me. Quick looking at marathons, there is the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll marathon and I can get frequent flyer tickets to it. I wonder if I really have the guts to do this. I wouldn't put any time pressure on myself, just go to say I've done two in a short amount of time and actually got out of MN to run once.

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs - your picture is gorgeous! And you will get it all together.
                            The one day I did my hair. Big grin Funny thing is that was right before a race. Yes I do my hair for a race, gotta impress the cute boys.
                            I mean really is it imperative to have supplies the first day? I would bet not.
                            Was not the first day of school, was the registration crap, sign-up for meet the teacher's conferences. One thing I know is not to tick of the teachers, principal, etc... It's kind of like "don't mess with the hand that rock's the craddle/back pack" deal. I got two kids that will put their teachers through the ringer. One is class clown, and not one teacher has found his tricks funny, and the 5 year old has started a sporatic poop in the pants thing. I know there will be phone calls. Is it to early to give the teachers their christmas presents? I need all the brownie points I can get. Black eye

Bugs

Bugs

Too much family drama here on vacation. I guess there's a reason we move out of our parents house. May get a run in later today but I'm not betting on it.
                              Sorry to hear that. I think most of have a family like that. Mine use to be a riot. Could not get together because sister inlaw might have slept with brother inlaw, sister slept w. brother inlaw (and I found them), people wouldn't go to x-mas at so and so's house, bitchie step-mother.. I mean it was just bad. DH really was thinking, "What the hell did I get myself into." But now parents are both gone, brother inlaw is out of the picture, people have their own families etc... Time with extended family is rare and so the fighting is all in the past. Life seems quiet but a bit lonely also. My point is sometimes I wish I could go back and hear all the fighting because it meant we are all alive and together. So hopefully you can stay out the mess. Sometimes when it comes to all that drama it's easier just to "eat a little crap" and keep the peace.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

oh I meant that as an its ok to not be totally together for school! haha but with sporadic pooping it might be best to have supplies! You could always send brownies to get brownie points!!