Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/18-8/24 (Read 259 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

here is my question about family: when do you break off and be your own family?? For example, when do you start to celebrate the holiday's with your sibling and parents instead of your parents siblings?? At first we were thinking when we have kids we will start to host holiday's. Which will definately happen for Christmas morning, but we will still probably be required to go visiting... Holiday family functions are my Achilles heel.
    Cashmason

Bugs, Cute pic ! Shan, start doing it now, why wait for kids. And you will still have to put in an appearance at other family events. Nobody says you have to go all day to them. Get there late, make a showy enterance. Say hello to every one so they know you showed up. Eat, and leave early. Start hosting your own holiday events now. For Erika, a rr from Swimmerbee of Kick runners on her Alaska swim races. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SE Alaska is having bad weather and cold water this year. The 1km in a sheltered area had tmes in the high 50's took 2nd in the no-wetusit women's The 8.3 mile had temps attemptign to reach the mid 50's (52-56 ish), 3rd place women's no wetsuit, wished I could have swum faster & not got lost so I could have gotten out sooner. Of course I signed up for next year already! Longer RR plus SR for the Santa Barbara Channel crossing-Anacapa passage to come soon! Yes thats 8.3 miles in 50 degree water with no wetsuit. She is nuts. She also has swum from Catalina Island to mainland California 26 miles = marathon = longer than the English Channel. She hasn't swum the English Channel yet because getting the necessary permits is too expensive for her budget right now.

Bugs

You could always send brownies to get brownie points!!
        See then I'd be the bad Mom that sugar'd up the kids.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - currently we do thankgiving with Brian's parents - because his sister comes up from Nashville for that holiday and not christmas. So whatever they do we do. Christmas morning my parents (all 4 of them) come up for breakfast - it causes fights because my mom and step-mom want to see us alone - i've told them this is prep for kids and to get over it. Then we go to a family event where we pop in say hello stay for an hour or so and leave. So slowly we are working on it, but it gets complicated with 3 sets of parents. Stupid juggling! It's much better than when I was young - Christmas: wake up with mom, go to dads, go to best friends, go to step-dad's family, go to dad's family. If there was a boyfriend add in his family's. Mom's family was a different day. It was ridiculous and I think it's the reason I HATE all the running around now.

Oh Mighty Wing

See then I'd be the bad Mom that sugar'd up the kids.
            no for the teacher... believe me she won't share the treats with the kids! haha

Bugs

here is my question about family: when do you break off and be your own family?? For example, when do you start to celebrate the holiday's with your sibling and parents instead of your parents siblings?? At first we were thinking when we have kids we will start to host holiday's. Which will definately happen for Christmas morning, but we will still probably be required to go visiting... Holiday family functions are my Achilles heel.
              Can we adopt you? It's great when someone wants to host a holiday. Although I know my MIL wants all her family at Christmas at her house, and we don't mess with that family tradition, not yet anyway. When you have kids you’ll want some of your own traditions, and it gets tricky. Xmas at DH’s is nuts, so I keep all ‘our’ presents at our house, and when we get home from traveling we open them. His parents were annoyed. Too bad, we need some Xmas celebration at our house too. Another issue was Santa Claus, I wanted to scale down. Well after one Xmas watching my kids get squat compared to cousins I adapted to their way of Santa Claus. (Ya, Santa comes twice for my kids because I want them to remember Santa at our home, ufta.) So you find a way to get a bit of your own wishes in the holidays and you try not to step on too many toes. Not celebrating the parent's siblings usually happens with the parent's kids start having lots of kids. The aunts and uncles will say it’s too much work. Sometimes I'll have a girlfriend that say, "I'm pulling my hair out because I've got all these people coming over and I got to cook and clean, blah blah", it's a rant and I get it but all I can think is, "You are so lucky!". Sounds like Thanksgiving is at SHan's house. If you got a turkey trot in town I'm in. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

we definately do have a turkey trot!!! DH's aunt hosts thanksgiving usually and last year she made a comment about us getting to do it when we have kids... they have the youngest kids. And I said to Brian it makes sense because then we don't have to cart our kids around and by then her kids are old enough to be entertained without their toys. So it might be coming in the next year or two LOL. Yeah it will all be tricky, but it will work out - it definately helps that my mom and dad are still friends. If not that would be much harder.
                  Erika - Thanks for the Dixie cup advise, I'll have to grab some at the store next time. Tonight I'll just go with an ice cube and paper towel. I've also been slacking on my "This Stick" usage. I've found that keeping the calves rolled out helps the shins. Think a pair of shoes might be going out as well, I'll just take them out of the rotation and go shopping soon! No complaints about that. Shan - Ah, shared family time. I'm the wrong one to ask, we still argue about it everytime we head up to Nebraska. Both families are there, but about 100 miles apart. Both moms complain, so DW and I have finally told them to shut up or we won't come at all. Since we bring the 2 year old grandson . . . they stopped complaining. Now, if DW and I could just agree about it all. Good luck with that!

Bugs

Shan, If we all came and visited you trust me, we would race. My money's on Erika. 10.5 miles 9:09 pace, but the miles were everywhere from 10:08 to 7:20. The run doesn't get fun till the 5th mile.

Bugs

Dave

Sometimes when it comes to all that drama it's easier just to "eat a little crap" and keep the peace.
                      Thanks for that response Bugs. Just what we needed to hear (DW read as well). Good words of wisdom and nice to hear someone else's family is "interesting" as well Smile DW has done awesome in her running here. She's gone 1.6M without walking and logged a couple of 3 milers run/walk. Nothing like some conflict to push her out the door Evil grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave's DW - GREAT JOB!!!! Bugs - you too!

Dave

I just noticed Bug's new avatar. Nice. Are you allowed to use a glamour shot? Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I just noticed Bug's new avatar. Nice. Are you allowed to use a glamour shot? Big grin
                            Wow all this attention is making my week. I'm wearing my Grandma's Marathon Sweatshirt. How can your eyes not sparkle when wearing your marathon sweatshirt? Side note, just 3 more weeks of training and then's taper time. Makes me nervous. I need some good running books to get be motivated during taper.

Bugs

Bugs

TGIF! Anyone got exciting weekend plans? I am racing a 5K. We'll see if I can beat my 4 mile pace. I plan to run 4-5 miles as a warm-up. The course is not described well so we'll see what happens.

Bugs

evanflein

I'm running a 5k trail race tomorrow morning. It's the course the high school XC teams use, and DS1 has already warned me it's rooty and can be slick in spots. I am sooo not risking a fall! I'd blow it off entirely except that I'm one of just a few who have run all the series races so far, and there's an extra prize at the end of year awards for doing them all (last year was a very nice long-sleeved black tech shirt). So, I'll go run it as part of my total miles for the day, and add 3 more on as warm-up and cool-down to get 6 or so total. DS2 has soccer tryouts tomorrow too. For next year's ODP team (Olympic Development Program), not his comp team (that's two weeks later). He had so much fun at that camp in Oregon this year, and learned so much, he's really hoping to make it again this year. Then DH wants to take the boat out on the river to toodle around and try some water skiing before freeze up. The weather has been perfect this week and should continue into next week. He'll need to wear a wet suit cuz the water is soooo cold! But as long as it's still kind of high from the recent rains, we should do ok. He has a little Bayliner and it doesn't like our shallow rivers...(long story about the boat, but he bought it a few years ago from a pawn shop!) Family stuff...ours can get complicated since DH's family always seems to be battling some issue or another. My family is much more easy to get along with. They all live here, except DH's brother and one niece (in NY). For the most part, we sort of do our own thing now but get together for dinners, brunches, desserts, whatever. When the kids were small though, it seemed like huge productions but never at our house (yeah) because it's too small... DH's sister has 5 kids, the other has 3, we have 2... can get to be a big crowd.