Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/18-8/24 (Read 259 times)

Bugs

I'm running a 5k trail race tomorrow morning.
    Very smart. Don't get hurt. Your marathon is not that far away. Have fun.

Bugs

Bugs

Hashing the idea of running to my race tomorrow. It's 8 miles away. But I'd have to be there by 8:30 to register and race starts to 9:00. Not sure what a large break does to training. I like to warm-up 4-5 miles and then rest a bit before race, so this is a bit much. Think it's wiser just to run 18-19m LR on Sunday?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I don't really have any advice but can you run some miles for me. As my mileage is totally down the toilet.

Bugs

I don't really have any advice but can you run some miles for me. As my mileage is totally down the toilet.
          Sorry to hear that. Remember saltine crackers are good for morning sickness. I'm going to drive to the race easier to bring goodie bag home. (I know Erika would have ran.)

Bugs

Bugs

Good but small 'fun run'. 5K, flat and fast, but some wind. Time 23:38, 7:38 pace. Faster than last weekend but mostly it just felt better. First 1/4 mile I'm the third girl and I try to pass #2, can't do it. I'm breathing hard and she's making it look easy. So I keep my eyes on her, get passed by a couple of people, and start passing some others. About half way through I find a surge. I pass and she says, "Good job." THought that was really nice, because we both knew we were racing this deal. I keep going and worry because I can't see her. I kept thinking you got a bull’s-eye on your back. I even glance back once to make sure she's not on my heels, she was way back there. Calf muscle was pretty tight last mile and was slightly working against me. No awards, door prizes or nothing, but there was lots of free power bars. Friends loaded up because there was more than enough. Had to get my money's worth. I don't eat em but when DS-7 has Tae Kwon Doe for 3 hours he needs something. Good workout. I got 2 more 5Ks before marathon, will be fun to try to beat those times. Oh, can not run San Antonio Marathon on Nov 16th. I looked into, airline tickets and all and then remembered shit it's my anniversary. Completely forgot. Dam, would have been fun.

Bugs

Oh, can not run San Antonio Marathon on Nov 16th. I looked into, airline tickets and all and then remembered shit it's my anniversary. Completely forgot. Dam, would have been fun.
              Wow, never knew women forgot anniversaries, birthdays, etc. From all the crap us guys catch, you'd think women were perfect at that stuff. Smile Nice time on the 5k. 15 miles for me this morning and they felt really good. It was only about 75, but the dewpoint was about there as well. Shins were a bit sore the first couple, then they quieted down and it was a good run.

Oh Mighty Wing

Wow, never knew women forgot anniversaries, birthdays, etc. From all the crap us guys catch, you'd think women were perfect at that stuff. Smile Nice time on the 5k.
                We just make sure it gets onto our calenders! Funny thing this reminded me of: A co-worker of mine has a reminder set on a calendar so that it sends him a message on the 1st of the year to order flowers for valentines day. And so he does - right then in the 1st week of the year. That way he can't forget even if he does.

Bugs

Wow, never knew women forgot anniversaries, birthdays, etc. From all the crap us guys catch, you'd think women were perfect at that stuff. Smile Nice time on the 5k.
                  We are perfectly imperfect. Nice 15 miles. I am get anxious to get my long run in as I'm use to doing it on Saturdays. I am in the middle of painting my bedroom, a chocolate brown on one wall, and sandstone on the rest. It is WOW looking. I sure hope I have the energy to finish painting after LR.

Bugs

I won't spoil it in case someone has taped the men's marathon, but that was about the worst broadcast I could imagine. They kinda showed the leader's time at each mile, but no real splits, barely showed anyone but the lead pack. Oh well. Good luck on the LR Bugs, how far?

Bugs

I won't spoil it in case someone has taped the men's marathon, but that was about the worst broadcast I could imagine. They kinda showed the leader's time at each mile, but no real splits, barely showed anyone but the lead pack. Oh well. Good luck on the LR Bugs, how far?
                      I was really surprised there was so few commercials, could not get my vacuming done. I would have appreciated if as they said who was in what place they mention the country they were from more often (but maybe my reception is fuzzier than most). I was also disappointed there was no interviews afterwards. I would have liked to heard what their strategy and thoughts were.
                      Good luck on the LR Bugs, how far?
                      I think 19. I want to run a 20 and 22 before marathon and have 4 LRS before taper. So I was thinking 19, 20, cutback (12-14) 22 and at last taper. I feel it will be hard to stop at 19, but I don't want to overdue it and not get to run 20 next week. My random thoughts about my running: I've run more miles this year but don't really feel I'm faster for it. I was thinking about what a girlfriend said, who use to run like a 3:40 marathon, and now runs about 3:20. I've watched her increase miles from peak of 55 to 100 for a marathon. She said that she really didn't think the increase in miles start to payoff until the next race she trains for. I didn't get it at the time, but I think I do now. You start running more but you loose some of your faster running because your legs are tired. (And we all know the increase mileage and speed at the same time is a big no-no.) I can see in my log I'm not hitting the averages I was last spring. (Ya, the times I ran right before hurting my feet.) I could try to run faster, but pace runs are good enough for this marathon. I don't want to get hurt. My body is handling much more than it did last year, and if I can stay off the injured list next year hopefully I can handle pace runs at a faster pace. I must be growing up as I find myself being protective of my training and not running as reckless.

Bugs

So, one cycle you'll bump your mileage at an easy pace. Then, the next cycle you'll be able to handle those same miles at a better pace and see the improvement in your race times? Sounds logical if that's what you're talking about.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - your running is going awesome this go round. And it sounds like you are doing better at seeing/feeling triggers and getting it taken care of before it turns into a big deal. I think your speed with come. I think you are in base building phase still. The next cycle you can work on speed. You have done more smart running and I think that's awesome!

Happy Camper

Awesome race yesterday Bugs! Great time for racing without breaking training. Nice longruns going on too everyone. I ran a strong 6 yesterday and then had a good pace run of 6 -miles this moring . Averaged 9:03 mm with average HR of 152 bpm. PR pace at St. Louis this year was 9:02. I would like the HR to be below 150bpm the first hour of marathon. I'll need more rest and hopefully a cooler morning than today to hit the target HR. 147 - 161 bbm is 70% - 80% of HRR for me. I think pushing it up a too early into the marathon is the biggest mistake I've made in other runs. I hope to stay under 160bpm the first 18-miles. Funny thing is I won't know as I don't plan to wear the strap during the Marathon. I'll be running according to the pace band to hit goal. I plan on 24-miles this week with Saturday and Sunday being no run days. I think I'm ready.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Sounds like you're on track for a great race, P2R. I've raced with the HR strap and I have to agree that pushing the HR too high, too early is a sure bet for problems in a marathon. I ignored it on my last half and held up well but it was only a HM. My running partner (tri-kev on RA) for that race ignored it and paid the price later in the marathon. Might be worth looking into his log for that race (March marathon) to see what it looked like for him. I had two runs this morning. A fantastic 15 miler (1:53 at the HM split) and a 3 mile death march including frequent walk breaks. It would have been a great fast finish 15 miler but I guess I forgot about the last 3 miles after that. Lots of mistakes including not enough water (no place to buy it along the route and my fuel belt was empty) and way too fast early. Live and learn. I'll post splits later if anyone's curious.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

So, one cycle you'll bump your mileage at an easy pace. Then, the next cycle you'll be able to handle those same miles at a better pace and see the improvement in your race times? Sounds logical if that's what you're talking about.
                                Yes, I have a feeling how that's it works. I'll have to ask her more about how she increases miles and pace. Also I don't plan to run the beginning of this marathon faster than I did two years ago but I think that miles 16-24 will be easier for all the base building, at least I hope. My first goal is to break 4:06, and will run with 4 hour group. If I think I could run say a 3:55 that day at what mile do you pick up the pace? Shan, Thanks, how are you feeling? P2R, I don't do much HR training but sounds like you are ready. Can you give us a site & bib number so we can track you? Dgb, All in it's still a good workout right? A strong pace run followed by 3 miles of intervals. I did a triathlon today, First part was a 19.5 mile run with lots of hills, avgp 9:21. I was running up the hills at 9:30 pace. Really odd my legs felt fresh this morning. My reward was an ice bath, which isn't so bad if you eat a strawberry pie while bathing. Second event was taking kids to McDonalds with playland. Ugh hate that place. Third event was painting my bedroom, wow is that room looking looking great. But man after running hard going up and down the ladder was an adventure. 60 miles for me this week, much easier 60 miles than two weeks ago.

Bugs