Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/15 (Read 307 times)

Bugs

Remember that your DR. gave you the go ahead.

I think he knows if I keep running he can retire early.

Thank you for posting that Kim. I like that the people in this group that knows sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do, and not every race works out to be a PR.

Bugs

evanflein

...not every race works out to be a PR.

Bugs, this is my mantra this year! I plan on doing as many races as I can, but I also realize I don't have the speed I once had. Even striders in a regular run give me butt twinges. I'm fine as long as I keep it easy.

Kimmie, that's interesting. It proves to me that they really don't train volunteers very well. When I needed to bail at Boston, I had to ask about 5 people before we found someone who knew what to do (just leave the course, turn in your chip at the finish line). Also, when I realized I didn't have my chip at Disney, the volunteers all just stood there with blank looks on their faces, they had no idea what to tell me. Kind of disappointing. These were both big well known and (mostly) well run races. But the volunteers were clueless.

Bugs, one more thing. After Boston, I didn't want to wear the shirt. I've always believed the stuff you get at the race is for FINISHING the race. But then I checked, and they call it a "Participant Shirt." Hey, cool! I did participate! I ran half that thing with half a butt! I certainly deserve to wear it! And I do.   Same thing with the poster. It's a memento of your experience, whether that included finishing or not. But I bet you will.

Kimmie

ok, one more thing on this Bugs.  If I were you, which I'm not, so take it for what's it worth, Smile  I would line up with a pace group that I thought would be easy... so 4:30?  or whatever around there that you think of as easy.  Then, think of yourself as a co-pace leader and really enjoy the experience by talking with the people in the group who do not find that pace easy.  They will REALLY appreciate having you there.  THEN, at mile 18 or whatever, if you still feel good, pick it up.  That way, you know that you will enjoy yourself AND you could help some people along.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Have fun!

Kimmie - I do pump my arms.  I'm also carrying 3 lb dumbbels to keep the heartrate up.  This is ok, and I like trying to get faster, but I can't wait to run again.  I go to the doctor who will likely give me a shot in the back tomorrow -- hopefully that helps some.  But I'm not complaining, just letting you all now what's going on.

Bugs - looking forward to hearing about your experience at Grandma's

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

What a roller coaster of a day *sigh*

Looks like my days running with Kallie are over, though I'll find out for sure tomorrow. She got admitted into the hospital today. Her immune system (like mine) is FUC%ED Sad Hopefully she'll be stable enough to come home tomorrow.  So I spent half my day in tears (damn baby that I am).  Couldn't even get out for my second run. I can run pissed but I can't run depressed ughhhh.

Anyway hope everyone else's week is going better!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

WRFB, you rock. I think I might try to do that power walking post marathon, LOL or post half marathon whatever it ends up being.

Pam,

Oh that is sad. So sorry.  Hang in there.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Aw Pam!  Hope she bounces back.  Dogs live in the moment.  She'll be glad to just be with you all. 

Kimmie:  Hope DD feels better tomorrow.  Summer colds are tough. 

4-miles running and 2000 yds in the pool today.  I'm getting an appointment with the Chiro tomorrow.  Today was the closest to normal I've felt in 4-weeks between the shoulder and the nerve pain in the back.  I was in strong pain last night after 4 hours in the car and 7 hours sitting in meetings.  I finally threw in the towel and got the "hillbilly" chiro adjustment.  I laid down on the floor on my stomach and had DW put one foot on my low back and the other on my tail bone and shift her weight back and forth. (The things a married couple will do for one another and no, nothings been uploaded to youtube.)  She was able to pop the area into better alignment.  I felt pressure off the nerve and knew it was better as soon as I sat up.  I bet it would have been amusing to watch through the window .  Add that to the medical book just after butterknife therapy. Hopefully the Chiro will fix it better.   I finally feel like there's a chance to get back at it and not miss out on any goals this fall.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

not every race works out to be a PR.

That's gotta become more and more true, the longer you run, cause aging is gonna get us all

I know a couple guys in their 50s who used to do mile repeats in college where they had to finish each mile repeat in 5min or less. Now neither of them can run a single 5min mile all-out. So they can't possibly set any more lifetime PRs.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Geez, Perry... it's one thing for us old folks to say that, but when you young pups say it it's really depressing! My best year for smokin' PR's was 2007. I set a few more (like Boston in 3:38) in 2008, but I figure for the most part, my PRs are behind me.

8.1 miles tonight, with miles 2 thru 6 at tempo pace, or what is working for tempo pace for me nowadays. 

Pam - sorry to hear this about Kallie.

Bryan - glad to hear you got some relief.

Regarding PRs, it helped me to start running when I was 48 Wink

I almost made it through the walk semi-dry, but the skies opened up with about 1/2 mile to go.  I am a little bit like a drowned rat now (or maybe like a drowned vole) Smile

5.0 miles, 59:28, 11:48/mi, AHR 140 (72% MHR)

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad to hear the clinic went well, Kim.  I knew it would.

Today I got in 4 miles jogging at a pace only slightly faster than Lou's walk.  

Bugs, hope you have a blast at Grandma's.  All this talk about marathons makes me want November to get here soon so I can "join the club."

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

That's gotta become more and more true, the longer you run, cause aging is gonna get us all

I blame the extra ten pounds (and obviously injury this time).  I still think I got lots of PRs ahead me of me. Just not on Saturday.

Bugs

Bugs

P2R,

Why don't you ask your chiropractor about graston treatment. My guy uses it on 90% of his patients, because almost all injuries there are knots and scar tissue to scrap out. I highly recommend going to a doc that is certified to do it. The two that I went to (before) that helped, but it would have taken a million appointments to fix even the smallest issues.

Bugs

Bugs

Where is everybody? I ran three miles. My heartrate was nuts because it was so hot but legs felt okay. I feel out of shape but it was very hot. WIsh this humidity would vanish.

Bugs

I'm buried at work right now -- glad to hear your legs feel good, though.