Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/6 (Read 341 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Off day for me today. Might do some weight work. Just wanted to slip in and say hey. As far as running a lot, I'm sure counting on that to lower my times. I felt like last year I was turning every training run into a race and it cost me injury-wise. I'm taking 3 months to build a base of LHR miles now to experiment with that. I know my heart is stronger already, and hope it translates into faster race times. But my training times are SSSLLLLLOOOOWWWWWW and I'm injury-free. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

theyapper, I really like how you're running the marathon in your brother's memory. Much more noble reason than most of us. Do you buy a certain thing at every marathon? I buy the poster and a sweatshirt.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

That's the way to go...slow and easy does it, at least for a while. There will be plenty of time for go fast as your bod readjusts! Today is 10 with a fast component...somehow. I'm kind of making it up as I go along this time, so I think it's 6x6min fartleks at LT with three recovery in between. I saw a cool workout in Runner's world this month that I want to try (maybe next week Monday). It's 2x6mi at or near LT with like 6 min recovery in between. I forget the details, but it's the first useful thing (other than the article on Kara) that I've been able to get from there in a few months. I also have a conundrum I'm trying to figure out. As MrI knows, Bayshore is 6+ weeks out. The Glass City half, which I'm also running is 4+ weeks out. My HM PR is my oldest PR, and I think I'm in good enough shape to crack it, but I'm worried about the aftermath. I figure it will take about 10 days to recover from it, which means that it will be just about taper time Bayshore. So I'm unsure how to best recover from Glass City without compromising the marathon training...
          I also have a conundrum I'm trying to figure out. As MrI knows, Bayshore is 6+ weeks out. The Glass City half, which I'm also running is 4+ weeks out. My HM PR is my oldest PR, and I think I'm in good enough shape to crack it, but I'm worried about the aftermath. I figure it will take about 10 days to recover from it, which means that it will be just about taper time Bayshore. So I'm unsure how to best recover from Glass City without compromising the marathon training...
          Well the hay will be in the barn for the marathon. Just run easy ! Like you my HM is my oldest PR and I'm doing a HM 2 weeks before my marathon. I may do a couple mid long runs however they will be nice easy. I figure 10-13 the weekend before the marathon and maybe an 8-10 the Wed before the marathon. All but maybe a few miles in my last mid long run will be very easy. MTA: after checking this out http://www.runningahead.com/logs/021deabc2c61467e90de7505d4899b04/calendar/2009/3 I may have to rethink my plan

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm injury-free. Big grin
            THAT is what is most important!! Enjoy your day off!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

TY - don't worry about speed. Lots of easy miles... that's what it's all about. Jhal - why 10 days?

Hail to The Victors!

Well the hay will be in the barn for the marathon. Just run easy ! Like you my HM is my oldest PR and I'm doing a HM 2 weeks before my marathon. I may do a couple mid long runs however they will be nice easy. I figure 10-13 the weekend before the marathon and maybe an 8-10 the Wed before the marathon. All but maybe a few miles in my last mid long run will be very easy. MTA: after checking this out http://www.runningahead.com/logs/021deabc2c61467e90de7505d4899b04/calendar/2009/3 I may have to rethink my plan
                Yeah, Thunder is insane. I almost wish that the Half was two weeks out, I think I would do the same thing that you want to do and that Thunder is doing. I think that Mikey's advice in the swamp is also sound, though, and just taking it easy that week after is probably best, while maintaining mileage.

Hail to The Victors!

TY - don't worry about speed. Lots of easy miles... that's what it's all about. Jhal - why 10 days?
                  After my last half, I felt like it was almost 12 days until I felt right as rain again. Of course, that was only with mileage in the 40s. Now, with mileage in the mid 70s, I have heard that the recovery times are a bit shorter,so I'm expecting 9-10 days.
                    Yeah, Thunder is insane. I almost wish that the Half was two weeks out, I think I would do the same thing that you want to do and that Thunder is doing. I think that Mikey's advice in the swamp is also sound, though, and just taking it easy that week after is probably best, while maintaining mileage.
                    Well Mike's advice is EXACTLY what I plan (and already planned before I saw it) to do! Thats' also why this was my first line to you Well the hay will be in the barn for the marathon. Just run easy !

theyapper

On the road again...

theyapper, I really like how you're running the marathon in your brother's memory. Much more noble reason than most of us. Do you buy a certain thing at every marathon? I buy the poster and a sweatshirt.
                      Thanks, Bugs. I'm really looking forward to it and expect it to be quite the emotional day. My first marathon on what would have been my brother's 40th birthday almost 6 years to the day that the worst year of my life started. A lot of family is coming and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you if you run Richmond. Hopefully we'll meet before the race because I imagine I'll be a teary, snot-running mess at the finish. Big grin And considering the meaning behind it, I'll probably be the sucker that buys too much crap at Richmond. Undecided

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

You ran a hellova race last year, Erika. Do you have any hints how to get an 11 minute PR (!) at Boston?
                        Thanks. I did everything wrong. I took off like a shot. Caught Perchcreek by mile 4 (he started in corral 14, I was in 19). Ran with him till 14 or so, then took off again. Walked up parts of the hills. Walked thru some water stations. Slapped hands of kids. I even walked a bit the last mile! Then ran like hell after turning that final corner. Crossing that finish line was the best feeling ever! The only drag was all the crippled up looking/staggering runners who were in my way on my way to the medals!! Big grin 7.3 mile tempo run last night. Miles 4 & 5 were both 7:41. Mile 4 was downhill, sort of like the start of Boston, and I wanted to work on fast downhill running. Felt great, until I came up on a bunch of icy spots and had to slow down or FOMA.

Dave

Great recap of your Boston PR, Erika. Gives us all hope Big grin 5.7 consistently easy miles today. 8:45 pace or thereabouts. I haven't been running with my HRM lately so it will be interesting to see what my HR looks like at that pace. I tend to run more disciplined with the HRM than without it. Today I was disciplined anyway. Nothing faster than 8:40. I was afraid I'd be hurting after yesterday's speedwork. Little tweaky for the first mile or so (hips and knees) but it smoothed out after that.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Uh, I don't think I'll follow the Erika plan. I'm afraid to walk during a marathon because I figure I won't start running again Smile I did slap some hands last year, though -- I think it might have been around mile 12 (Wellesley) Blush

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I've never NOT walked in a marathon. I practice sometimes in training runs (i.e. run out of gas) so have it down pat. Lou, are you sure those were hands you were slapping? Wink
                              Cashmason

TY, I have set all sorts of PR after doing nothing but slow running during training. I got to the start line uninjured and raring to go. The only downside, is friends would ask before the race what my goal time was. I had no clue how fast I could run, since my training wasnt in that direction. During the race, I had no pace goals, just run as fast as my body would allow on that day, and accept what ever came. What came were usually PR by several minutes.