Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

Just catching up a little -- we were on the road all day yesterday, and this is the first chance I got.  Not much to say other than

Shan - I'm looking forward to watching your progress

Erika - that's a beautiful place to run -- you have yourself a great time -- it's, what, another week, right?

This morning's run:

8.2 miles, 1:06:28, 8:07/mi, AHR 149 (76% MHR)

Yesterday was in Cambridge, 4.4 miles at 9:33 pace.  We met some friends and ran together -- fun!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

And this morning, in a light rain...

5.1 miles, 47:06, 9:10/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Very easy 8 miles this morning.  Cool, mid 50s, very relaxing.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ringmaster

Mid 50s--I think we'll get that a couple days in January. Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam - are you pulling a me and not saying where you are racing this weekend?

Bugs

VixDu,

Enjoy the little kids. Mine are 6 & 8 and the 8 year old seems so big, and clearly needs his Mom less; kind of makes me sad. One of the reasons I've backed off from running is I don't want to miss so much with my kids.

I want to order a picture of Shannon and I for the Mac Daddy Exercise room. What one should I get?

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=42403&BIB=68&S=230&PWD=

Bugs

I miss having "little" kids. Mine are almost 20 almost 19 almost 18 and my twin 8 year olds (who think they are going on 20 themselves). I still can't believe I have a sophmore in college *boy am I old* I have to say it was nice last night but a little weird. I was sitting with the twins having dinner while DH was out running.  I smiled at Frankie and said "now do you understand why I was excited about you starting school?"  I'm a little sad that the none of my family will be there for my race on Sunday however Katie made sure to let me know that they would be having fun despite missing me. After the Scout picnic the twins have a bowling party to go too. I'm hoping my little "social butterfly" (Katie) is willing to have a family day tomorrow and that Frankie can handle not playing Roblox for the day. I'm torn on this whole growing up thing though it does have it's advantages when it comes to my running.

Speaking of running I got in a nice 8 miler yesterday and my reg 5.5 this morning. I'll be doing 3-4 early tomorrow in the am. I'm looking forward to my Half this weekend.  I'm thinking of  a MP tempo run which means I should have a new PR come Sunday. 

BTW Would I do that Shan? Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

VixDu,

Enjoy the little kids. Mine are 6 & 8 and the 8 year old seems so big, and clearly needs his Mom less; kind of makes me sad. One of the reasons I've backed off from running is I don't want to miss so much with my kids.

I want to order a picture of Shannon and I for the Mac Daddy Exercise room. What one should I get?

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=42403&BIB=68&S=230&PWD=

This one

42403-516-001

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Definitely that one (42403-516-001). That's gotta be the best end of race picture I've seen in a long time!

Unintended rest day today. Heading back to the dentist over lunch hour, that tooth I had the root canal on is still not right. Very tender up at the top, like the end of the root. Wasn't sure if it was my sinus (we have all been cruddy in my house) or the tooth, and I'm sure it's the tooth now. So, there goes that chance.

Then tonight we've invited friends over for dinner (why do we do that? too stressful...) and that means a quick after work shopping trip and fast pickup/cleanup at home. One of the guys we've invited (and have been meaning to for ages) is a real "neatnik" and with my house always being such a disaster I haven't wanted him over. How silly is that. I mean, it's my house, right? If he thinks its too messy or whatever he doesn't have to come back, right? I'm sure it'll be fine... I'll be glad when its tomorrow and I can be messy all to myself again.

Oh Mighty Wing

BTW Would I do that Shan? Wink

apparently, yes!!! haha Well I hope that if you are where i am you say hi and that I get to help cheer you on!!!!

Oh Mighty Wing

5 and change... and I'm freezing!!! I LOVE RAIN RUNS!

Bugs

I just paid $18 to have a quality photo of JellyFish to hang in my exercise room. Maybe one day I'll have it autographed. Bet she signs it, "Keep Running More" Smile

Gotta get to sleep. 5K tomorrow. Don't laugh at my time. It's nothing but faster after tomorrow.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

BUGS YOU ROCK!!!! I'll only sign that if you sign one for me!!! and GOOD LUCK ON YOUR 5k!!!!
                            theyapper

On the road again...

18 miles for me this morning.  I took it very easy for the first 3/4 of the run and then picked the pace up on the last 4.5 miles.  I was pretty excited just to be doing 18 miles, but knocking out 3 sub 10s at the END of the run really made me smile and my last mile was my fastest.

Now, for some college football later today and then a week of vacation at the Isle of Palms near Charleston starting tomorrow.  Life is good!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

that is awesome, Bugs.  And I would never laugh at your time.

Just makes me more determined to have an RA race soon so I can post pictures of you guys in my exercise room.

we don't actually have an exercise room, but we're thinking of converting the garage.  My DH just bought P90x and the plan is to do it together.  I'm 6 weeks out from my marathon, so I'm a little leary of starting something so intense,  but I think I can pay attention to my body and take it kind of easy until after the marathon.

hey Paul-   Great job on the 18!!!  I love that feeling!  I also ran 18 this morning and it was awesome.  My legs were a little tight and sore at times, probably not enough stretching lately... but overall I felt good and ended up with a 9:15 pace or something.

What do you all think of the mental toughness aspect of training?   My running group does most of our training long runs on this trail- called the W&OD.... it's a rails to trail... like 45 miles long or something- and super convenient, but can be very boring.  I try to run on the horse trail and not the asphalt-  that provides a little more variety.

Anyways-  a friend of mine says that doing long runs on a boring trail will make it harder because you're not looking at pretty scenery.  I was just thinking today that maybe it helps to run on boring trails in training and then when you get to the marathon, you're flying because you're noticing all the pretty scenery?  I mean, could it increase your mental toughness to train this way?

It doesn't really matter, because I probably won't get in the car and drive to a more scenic location to train.

Ok, rambling over.

Bugs-  tell me what you think of P90X.