Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/12 (Read 295 times)

Getting defensive here... Wink Trying to see the major differences...
    No kidding. That's about what I wear for -10 or so...
    Thhhp. Wind-chill was about 0
    For runs about zero, I'd wear my Brooks winter weight tights (these are old so I'm sure newer ones are more effective); and I have some "Arctic" pants by Hind to put over the tights.
    bottom: heavy tights, warmup pants
    For my top, I always try to keep my core warm. I have a vest made of the softest wool ... as my first layer. One or two tech type long-sleeved shirts. I have a heavy weight top for winter running, it's cool with a hood and it's bright pink. I love it. If it's colder than zero, I'll add a fleece jacket. This is the jacket I'll wear all the way down to -30 and it works just fine.
    top: compression shirt turtleneck (underarmour hot gear), regular long sleeve running shirt, running "jacket" (half zip technical sweatshirt really)
    Head: Colder temps I'll add a balaclava (I got a nice new one with holes for the mouth/nose area which really helps the breathing, but at the really cold temps even these frost up and make it difficult to breathe.) but add the headband over that cuz my ears get cold easily.
    head: thin technical ear warmer (like a band that goes around ears thin at forehead), heavy "skullcap" hat (technical material), balaclava (thin technical)
    Hands: Glove liners, a light polypro if warmer, heavier fleece if colder. Right now, I'm just wearing the fleece ones alone. Colder temps, I have a couple of different weights of mittens I add over them. Nothing beats mittens for keeping your hands warm, especially with a glove liner inside.
    hands: thin technical nike gloves, thick gloves over top

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

WRFB - aww don't get defensive!!! we <3 you!!!! i like hearing about this because i can never get it right!! only the last couple runs have i been doing well and it's because i've given up caring if i look like a crazy person out there. course that being said i ran at 3 - 3 miles. it's now 5 - my fingers are still tingly... i really need my gloves to arrive - it'll be a couple more days with numb fingers after runs!!! you!!!!="" i="" like="" hearing="" about="" this="" because="" i="" can="" never="" get="" it="" right!!="" only="" the="" last="" couple="" runs="" have="" i="" been="" doing="" well="" and="" it's="" because="" i've="" given="" up="" caring="" if="" i="" look="" like="" a="" crazy="" person="" out="" there.="" course="" that="" being="" said="" i="" ran="" at="" 3="" -="" 3="" miles.="" it's="" now="" 5="" -="" my="" fingers="" are="" still="" tingly...="" i="" really="" need="" my="" gloves="" to="" arrive="" -="" it'll="" be="" a="" couple="" more="" days="" with="" numb="" fingers="" after=""></3 you!!!! i like hearing about this because i can never get it right!! only the last couple runs have i been doing well and it's because i've given up caring if i look like a crazy person out there. course that being said i ran at 3 - 3 miles. it's now 5 - my fingers are still tingly... i really need my gloves to arrive - it'll be a couple more days with numb fingers after runs!!!>

Dave

thanks guys... but I think that means I have to go shopping this afternoon... no baclava... possibly need thicker tights? wow- I'm freaking out- but I need to get it done I
        If you can delay your long run until Sunday, its supposed to warm up a bit. My work slammed me again today. Not going to let this day get away. Heading off to the treadmill tonight at 8 to get at least 5 in.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

69 degrees today. Ran in shorts and sleeveless tech shirt. Thats way better than the 84 degrees it was 2 days ago. Ran in shorts and short sleeve tech shirt then too.

Oh Mighty Wing

69 degrees today. Ran in shorts and sleeveless tech shirt. Thats way better than the 84 degrees it was 2 days ago. Ran in shorts and short sleeve tech shirt then too.
            brag brag brag Big grin
              Cash - where do you live?

Dave

3F this morning. I'll wait until it warms up into the teens today before I run. 6 on the TM last night with 4 at MP. I planned on running easy but my gym was closing so tempo got the miles in.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

More miles than degrees for me. Temp range was 0.4° to 2.9°F according to sporttracks weather tracking. This is the coldest conditions I've ever run in, according to my extensive metrics. Yesterday, at 7-8°F was my second coldest. 5.1 miles, 48:31, 9:07/mi, AHR 142 (huh? why so high?) I wore pretty much what I wore yesterday, except I added a thin neck gaiter.

Dave

Lou, here's my data from last week's 10 miler My max HR (after ignoring the early spike due to poor contact) was about 175 and you can see at the end, my pace dropped way down into the 9's going up that last hill (that hill looks inconsequential on this graph but it sure didn't feel that way). I could only muster about 172 going up that hill and then I dropped back into the 160's for the finish. Kind of fizzled. My HR/pace was much better managed on the way up the hill.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Ha! The sub-zero crap is out of here for now! I'll run later when I can wear trishorts. Core workout is finished. MTA: 10.33 miles at aerobic effort. Avg HR 159 bpm. 6 miles were at Tempo HR.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

WRFB- More miles than degrees- that is awesome. me too! Smile ok, so i ran 13.5 miles in 3 degrees... I figured out what to wear but I just couldn't make myself do too much more than this. My fuel belt bottles were frozen at the top. My hand ended up getting a little wet when I scooped out some gatorade out of our cooler because the spigot thing was frozen... so after my hand got wet, it started to hurt and I had two layers of gloves on. I decided that I still have 4 weeks left to get another couple of long runs in... maybe I wimped out, maybe I was smart.
                          Lou, here's my data from last week's 10 miler
                          I'm amazed at how even your heartrate was. I think I must have a higher max HR than you -- mine is 195-200 bpm. Your HR was very well managed at the hills -- only changing maybe 10 bpm. At the top of that last hill you got your speed back and finished really strongly.

Oh Mighty Wing

there are some good runs going on!!! I need to get my run done! I went to a track meet - it was AWESOME!!! I had a blast. It was all boys and next week it's girls/boys.

Dave

8.79 for me at 8:48 pace, 151 AHR. I waited until it warmed up. 23F felt pretty comfortable once I got going. This is my first week of attempting the Saturday/Sunday back to back medium/long runs. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. Smile On the HR stuff, my max is around 183-185 so your max is much higher. I can usually sustain 170 for quite a while. Turns out I've lost my data on the USMC so I won't bore you with those details. I'm considering the B&A Trail HM up your way on 1 March as a train up race.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

38 miles biking in 2 hours 6 seconds. 70 degrees. So not more miles than degrees. Practicing Pacelining skills ( drafting). My wheel is 4 inches behind my friends and we are going anywhere from 17 to 23 miles per hour on the flats, max speed today was only 28 miles per hour. Invited a cute girl to suck my wheel, and she stayed right there for 12 miles. Turns out her husband is a Cat 1 rider ( one level below professional). She was on mile 52 of an 80 mile ride and she had more energy than I did. For a comparison, 1 mile running is equal to roughly 3 miles biking. Lou I live in Orange County Calif. about 12 miles south of Ilene Forward and a few miles north of Sherie Rainier. SloJim is about 20 miles inland from where I am.