Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/12 (Read 221 times)

Bugs

Erika,

I checked the forecast and who the heck knows. It could be 30 and raining or 50 with sun. Bring everything.

Kim,

Glad you got the calf worked. I know mine the muscles can be so tight, it is not something I can fix on my own. I go get it massaged before it works it way up to behind the knee or into the achilles.

Pam,

Hey I don't know how you got those arms, I sure love some advice. I've been working hardcore in the weight room for over three months and I got bigger muscles, but you can't see them unless I'm working out. But overall I do like how I look much better, more balanced in my upper and lower body body.  However I think I'm a good 9 months away from getting the pipes I want.

Lou,

How are you doing?

Cash,

Getting some help with that calf?

I get graston today for a few minor aches and pains. I got a bump on my achilles that happens a few times a year. Graston always clears it right up. Took last night off, just pooped.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

That weather forecast for Boston is all over the place!  It's hard to decide what to wear while I watch it from the computer in my study.

Started the day out with a nice 1:15 run - just over 7.5 miles.  After a number of weeks in the low 20s, I'm ramping up to upper 20s / low 30s this week.  Looking very doable this week and my body feels fine.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

That weather forecast for Boston is all over the place!  It's hard to decide what to wear while I watch it from the computer in my study.

This is funny.

I'm waiting until Friday to make my final decision.  I have 2 outfits- warm and cooler.... 

Thanks for the input of the calf.   I don't know if it's form or not... it may be... I rested again today and will do a test run tomorrow.

Lou?

Not there yet, but thanks for asking.

Current plan - non-invasive test Thursday (tomorrow), stop when it hurts.

If I ran 7 miles Thursday (it didn't hurt), run 3-4 easy on Saturday.

If I stopped Thursday, run 5-6 on Saturday, running through pain to see how bad it really is.

So I guess I decide Saturday.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

{{Lou's stoopid leg}} Hope you pass the test the first time.
              {{Lou's stoopid leg}} Hope you pass the test the first time.

DITTO THIS!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

posted a long post earlier but lost it when my computer decided to shut off *sigh*

Anyway condensed version. IF any one is interested my bib is 18858.   

I also run on my forefoot however haven't *knock on wood* had calf issue's . The one issue I realized I've had in races is that running downhill on your forefoot tends to cause you to brake. I'm looking to remedy this at Boston. I've been working on that whenever I run steep enough downhills that it matters.

As for what to wear. Figure I'll wear my new Saucony compression running shorts. Sports bra or tank depending on temps and my Zensah arm sleeves.  I tend to overheat in more than that for long runs unless it's like 30 degrees. In that case I'll add a long sleeve Tech shirt.

BTW I'm still trying to figure out my racing plan. I'll be heading out with a friend who's looking to do 3:50. Guess it will be what it is and I'll just find out at the end lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks, guys.

Uh, today's run, not so good.  I was pretty confident in the beginning, manageable 1 of 10.  Thinking this would be ok for 26.2.  Then at 3.7, twang to 4, just like that.  So it's not looking good for Monday -- I will set my sights on getting healthy and having a good marine corps.  Hmm, forgot to take ibuprofen today but I guess that wouldn't have mattered much.  I'll take some now.

So I am sort of looking forward to hanging out at mile 20 with some of my masters friends from RA and KR.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry, Lou.  You've had a rough go, lately.  Sounds like you've got a good perspective on it, but I'm sure it's frustrating.

Rest day for me today.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Oh man Lou, that sucks. I wish I was going to be at mile 20 with you. Still pretty great to be there!

Kim, I just found a way to let m leg heal more than anything. I have not made up my mind about "Chi Running". BTW, do you have some good side ab exercises for me? I'm certain I am not hitting those muscles in my strength workouts.

Pam, you run crazy miles, whatever your form is keep doing it!

Upper body at noon, and 5 mile jog with strides, iced my cranky leg, followed by many lunges and squats. 7 tired miles at a 9:10 pace with the girls. Should have ran slower but I just wanted to get it done. Oh am I sore. My plan is to really ease up till Sunday when I'm going to run 19 and hopefully feel strong. Then I'm headed to a local lake for an ice bath.

Bugs

Kimmie

Aw, Lou, I am so sorry that you are not going to run.   Like Paul said, you do sound like you have a good perspective.  I would be whining  big time.  I will be happy to see you guys at mile 20, though.

Getting ready to go test out the calf... short, easy, 4 miles on tap.

Bugs, you can email me and I 'll send you some ab exercises.  Unless other people here want them.  i don't know if its anything too original.  just the standard stuff.

I may google the Chi running thing and look into after Boston.  Can't think about that now.

I'm doing my typical taper week freak out.  I started cleaning out DD1's closet yesterday.  It's like I have all of this pent up energy.  I've been helping with the 3rd grade musical at school and that's been totally crazy.  We have one more performance tonight and then tomorrow, more kids' activities and then Saturday we leave.    Ah!   Smile

Silly fashion question... weather looks to be in the low 50s or so.  I think I will wear tank and shorts, with the arm warmer thing.  DH has complained past marathons that a white shirt does not stand out (it has my name on it in marker)  So, this time I'm thinking purple?   Or I have an orange T-shirt  and I can just put my name on in duct tape.

Lou-  I may need to get a few spectating tips from you for Greg... easiest ways to get there with the girls in tow.

Dave

Sorry to hear that Lou.  I've been lurking (because I've not been running) but I've got to come out of hiding for that one.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My condolences as well, Lou. And I hope you have fun up there at mile 20 at least.

What musical Kim -- just curious.

(Crystal did a Twain collection recently -- oh, that was a play, not musical - with her kids, and so there was this thousand page book of Twain's works at the house for a while, so I reread Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer...)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

Sorry to hear that, Lou, that really sucks.  I'll be looking for you at the base of Heartbreak.  Still kind of figuring out what to wear, (it was 82 today before we left Ann Arbor, sucks that it will be 40s this weekend in Boston), but I think Tshirt and shorts are where it's at.

I might have to look at those Zensah arm sleeves at the expo, if anyone has em.  

Kimmie

The musical was called "I'm a Small Part of the World"   Really cute- 15 songs from different countries, complete with African drums, castanets, etc... Picture 125 3rd graders all trying to get into the right place and get their instruments....

Fun, but I'm tired.     Taper week and all I want to do is sit and obsess.  Smile

Going back to the massage guy in the morning for some smoothing... I doubt he'll do anything deep tissue.  I don't want to freak out.