Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/11/2010 (Read 261 times)

Bugs

Cash,

Hope the achilles is better soon. I have graston work on mine a couple times a year, it is a trouble spot for me. Always starts with knots in the calves. Buy the way, decided I hate using a pull buoy. Got me a workout with sore legs at least.

RP, who is on the planning committee confessed that she thinks the Mankato Marathon may suck. I said, "I don't want to come off like a bitch but if there are only 60 or so runners you could come in last. And frankly I look like crap at the end of a marathon and I need a few 1000 people that look worse than me to finish with and I don't want every yahoo I know in town there to see me look like crap." She agreed and said "Let's do the half" My fall marathon schedule is now open!

Bugs

evanflein

As for me my year has started out pathetic. Guess that means it will ROCK at the end lol

Well Pam, it's the 12th, and I have yet to run a single bit in 2010. I think it's paying off though. Been cross training like a banshee to try to stay somewhat in the game for Boston, which is now (eek!) less than 14 weeks away. I hope you continue to improve and get better. You've got a really good base, so should bounce back quickly.

{{Lou}} After all you and PDR have been through and the work hours you're logging, I'd be surprised if you weren't tired and run down feeling. Lighten up a bit and you'll be fine.

Bugs, now that's funny. Way to lay it on the line. But I've seen you at the end of a marathon and you, dear, definitely don't look like crap. That finish picture of you and Jelly is one of the best I've seen!

Cash, my achilles started hurting yesterday afternoon and I hadn't done anything... literally! Just sitting at my desk and the damn thing starts aching. Hurt a bit later, too. Fine during my 40 minute pool run, fine now. Just strange stuff. I hope yours is a transient issue and not anything to worry about.

34 minutes (4 miles) elliptical at lunch. I went longer on that thing instead of my usual Tuesday weight workout (well, usual since the last couple months or so). I had a good longer workout on Sunday and my shoulder wanted another day to recover. Might do something else later this evening, not sure.

Ringmaster

Ha! I'm hoping my end-of-the-year rocks too! I'm getting more consistent now and beginning to feel like myself, where I speed up instead of dying at the end of the run. I'm planning two 12-milers on consecutive days to prep for my 15k-5k-half challenge, since the first two races are Saturday and the half on Sunday.

My cap is right at 50mpw for now; I do that a couple times and I'm pretty much done. Slowly but surely . . . 80mpw . . . wow!

My thoughts to those nursing injury. Be wise! I'm thinking of you and, of course, Lou and PDR.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
        Mile by Mile

Bugs

Bugs, now that's funny. Way to lay it on the line. But I've seen you at the end of a marathon and you, dear, definitely don't look like crap. That finish picture of you and Jelly is one of the best I've seen.

That is because we ran easy. Not often you get to finish a marathon with a friend. It hangs in my exercise room and it makes me smile everytime I see it. Now need some pictures of other Team Blister friends.

Bugs

Kimmie

So glad you're feeling better, Karina.

Erika-  your patience will pay off, I'm sure.   You do so well with cross training.   I wish I could do that well.

I MADE myself go to the group run last night.    I was being whiny about the weather and darkness, etc...    But I went, we strapped on the headlamps and it was a really fun run.   6 miles, 52 minutes, some icy patches and serious wind.

There was a Saucony rep at the running store and she had us try out shoes during the run and then did a drawing after and I won!!   It's a really nice jacket.   so, glad I made myself go.  Smile

I think we all just need to hang in there with these injuries and lack of motivation.   I feel like I am slowly getting some back, but not all the way yet.

I'm going to a dietician tomorrow who will probably tell me I need to eat more protein and more veggies.   

Lou- how are you?

Bugs

That is GREAT Kim!

Bugs

evanflein

Kim, how cool is that? Now you'll want to go to all those group runs! I know I would. As for the cross training I think I just got to the point where I could see I wasn't getting better with the sporadic running, I needed to stop pounding my foot/ankle. And with Boston looming, and my butt growing at a fearsome pace, I decided it was time to get serious. I'm hoping it pays off when I start running again, because after a few easy runs I want to get back in the program and move on. But I promise to listen carefully to the foot and that damn post tibial tendon, which has caused me problems in the past.

I went back to the gym after dropping off DS2 at soccer and did a 5k on the rowing machine in 22:55. OMG, that thing is a quad killer! I'm hoping it helps keep me in somewhat decent hill shape. Then I did 25 minutes of weights, just large muscle group stuff.

We watched Angels & Demons last night. I love Tom Hanks.

evanflein

So today I get paragraph breaks. Go figure.

Bugs

Erika,

Remember when I hurt my feet training for Grandmas and I XTed like crazy when I wasn't running, best marathon ever. Keep up the XTing you'll be glad you did in Boston. The best thing I noticed about the XTing I've been doing lately is it is making a nice shape on my body, but damn I'm sore. But that soreness has to have a positive effect for running.

Still dealing with some soreness which is testing my patience. Feel fine when I move around, but sore as I sit all day. Got kid stuff tonight, and am super tired and really want to just sleep, that might be best.

Bugs

Dave

Rowing machines are evil.  Back when I was crossfitting, there was a workout that alternated 500M on the rowing machine and sets of 25 burpees.  Eeeeevilll.

Work has been brutal this week.  Snuck out for a quick 4 on the treadmill today though.  Flying in the morning to DC for Thursday and Friday sessions.

If Lou's work weren't so awful too, I'd ask him to join me for an evening run Thursday night.  Wait, did I just ask?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, as is almost always the case, one bad run deserves a good one, and today was infinitely better than Monday's run.  Broke through 4 miles just for the mental benefit of doing that much without knee pain and that was nice.  Just a very nice, relaxed run.

I can relate to tired and heavy legs, Lou, although I've not had the stress that you've had lately.  Most of my runs I feel like my feet are pounding the pavement like a mule.  Hope you get some rest and find your stride again soon.  I'm sure you will.

Sorry about the achilles, Cash.  That can't feel good.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Dave,

Sorry work is being a b!tch. Thanks for working so hard for us though.

I was reviewing my log and well I think it is clear why I'm hurting. Not any easy in that schedule. You guys can't see it, but I'm making an L with my hand and putting it up to my forhead. Can't do much but easy easy run through it.

I'm so sick of winter. I just do better on dry pavement.

Bugs

Hawt and sexy

okay.  Okay.  I am here.  I got a lot going on.  The manslave has me most of the time  I am researching this business thing.  I am teaching myself to touch type.  Oh, and I run. 

I am busy.  I gots issues.

I'm touching your pants.

Cashmason

Bugs,  if you are sick of winter already.....  you might possibly live in the wrong state.

Now Erika has 51 weeks of winter.

I always wondered how a woman could determine that her butt was growing at a fearsome rate?

Mirrors?  Pants?  How about we take up a collection for  Team Blister Carnival mirrors,  which make everyone look either really skinny   or really fat?

If Lou's work weren't so awful too, I'd ask him to join me for an evening run Thursday night.  Wait, did I just ask?

I'd love to, but let's put it this way:  I left work yesterday at 7:15, and thought, "it's good to get out early for a change".  I wouldn't be able to get out to run with you.

Regardless, I need to rest some.  Sunday, after my run, I got a sharp, sudden pain in my left inner thigh -- too low for a groin pull.  Well, today during a longish fastish run, I realized it was getting worse, so I aborted at about 4.5 miles.  I'll rest tomorrow, possibly Saturday, then maybe see if I can do my long run on Sunday.

That also fits in with Erika's suggestion to light up a bit to let my legs rest.  (if you want paragraph breaks after a quote, you have to put in a space on the blank line)

Kim, cool about the jacket!

A willamona sighting!  Hi, Amanda!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com