Marathon Trainers

Week of 2-16 (Read 333 times)

Kimmie

Hey you all.... Good running... Lou, Pam, pace, Jeremy, Dave, Shan and Cash... where's bugs?? I ran very short on the treadmill today... just seeing what I felt like doing... Tomorrow will be back to normal Dave, sorry to hear about the ER! I'm glad she's ok. It's scary when they're sick... yours are the same age as mine, I think. And you still got a run in too! Shan, I think the phrase "it's just like riding a bike" is true. If you got a bike and just started riding, I think you will do fine. Pick nice open areas where there aren't too many hills. Ok, I'm almost done talking about my marathon. I'm worried that my real life friends AND my internet friends are getting SICK Of hearing about it. But I wrote about it in my blog and I just feel better and able to move on to the next thing. Here's the link http://kimogorek.blogspot.com/ What's everyone's goal for National????
      I don't know anything about bikes other than WHAT A JERK that guy was. I probably was a bit of a jerk when I was 16, too, but I don't think I was that mean. Stoopid boys. MTA: Oops, sorry, Erika. Of course I wasn't talking about your boys. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks guys - he was a jerk. haha i think the first thing I need to do is find a bike... maybe i can borrow one from someone who no longer uses theirs... hhhmmm Kimmie - i'm still thinking sub-2 but i'm really not sure it's possible given my increased mileage and slowed pace.
          Dave - stinks having a sick kid. Hope you catch up on your sleep later this week. Glad she's feeling better.

theyapper

On the road again...

Dave, one of my boys was up ALL NIGHT last night throwing up pretty much every 30 minutes. Tight lipped No fun. Good thing is he's not thrown up all day today. Hope your household gets better, too. I am still base building, but every now and then I get the itch to let loose a bit, and today was one of those days. 40 minute tempo run that had a 10 minute interval in the middle at 5K pace. Felt good to get the HR up a bit and feel some different leg muscles. Now, back to the slower, easier runs the rest of this month and next. I'm sure I'll sprinkle a couple more days like this one in along the way. Wink Have good runs, everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Shan, You learn to bike by taking swimming lessons. You befriend a really hot ironman and say you want to get into biking. A bike ride together, leads to a drink, movie & dinner... Big grin How do you guys pick your workouts? Is it off of a schedule or do you randomly pick what you're going to run today?

Bugs

How do you guys pick your workouts? Is it off of a schedule or do you randomly pick what you're going to run today?
                I am following the Pfitzinger 24 week / 55 mile peak plan (from "Advanced Marathoning"). I've replaced the rest days with 3 mile recovery most times which would bring the peak week to 61 miles. See http://www.lousbrews.info/Training.htm for this plan. Note "easy" means "recovery", and the paces at the top are a little out of date.

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, You learn to bike by taking swimming lessons. You befriend a really hot ironman and say you want to get into biking. A bike ride together, leads to a drink, movie & dinner... Big grin
                  hahaha
                    How do you guys pick your workouts? Is it off of a schedule or do you randomly pick what you're going to run today?
                    I WAS supposed to be following this http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=5995&PageNum=&CategoryID= (I really suck at sticking to a schedule) however I've been letting my legs figure things out so to speak.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

got 9.2 done for my second run today. Had to take 7 year old dd to get new glasses today. Her prescription almost doubled this past year Shocked Made the appointment last week and her glasses broke today at school. Talk about timing.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

The Latest from Centripedal.com: a weblog and resources about life and multisports Marathon Training In The Real World Posted: 17 Feb 2009 03:00 AM CST Posted in the Resources: An excellent wake up call from a classic (it will be) Gordo Byrn post: I had a look at average results for all marathons in the US in 2005 -- the results didn't surprise me, but they might surprise you. Average male finish time was about 4.5 hours, with the ladies just over 5.0 hours. That is for stand-alone marathons -- not running after 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of running. Gordo goes on to state that athletes often want to learn everything possible about elite and high-end run training -- many years before these techniques are appropriate for them. I can definitely say that is true of myself. So in this article Gordo looks at the average marathon finisher, they of 4.5 to 5 hours and between 10-minutes and 11.5-minutes per mile pace, and the factors that will allow them to finish faster. For me the meat is the part about Long Term Consistent Mileage. Don't miss part two, which includes this great bit of writing: Until you are in the top 5% of your race category, you will likely find that your ratio of base-to-build should be more like 150:6 -- six weeks of build for every 150 weeks of base. Now that advice won't sell many magazines but I spent over five years doing nothing but base training. Base training doesn't mean going slow all the time -- it means a focus on building endurance, sport specific strength and using a little bit of tempo/mod-hard in the week. Read Original Article | Link to our summary
                        Cashmason

Rats the links dont work when you cut and paste. When I get back from the gym I will try to find the article and post it. Shan, ask me anything you want about bikes. It is 1/3 of my training and racing. Also at Kickrunners dot com they have a multi sport thread and we talk about biking a lot. Beginners questions are more than welcome, we also talk running and swimming. Introduce yourself over there.

Happy Camper

Thanks Cash! I bookmarked both parts 1&2.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Part 1 This is going to be a two-part series on marathon training. Part One will share some concepts which I believe impact all endurance sports, but especially, marathon training (stand alone and Ironman). Part Two will pick up the questions from last week, as well as, any from this week. ++ It has been a hectic week for me in Europe and I am now in Asia for a few days before returning to the US. Sorry that I missed the Friday deadline but I was busy growing grey hairs! No announcements this week, we will roll straight into Part One. ++ I had a look at average results for all marathons in the US in 2005 -- the results didn't surprise me, but they might surprise you. Average male finish time was about 4.5 hours, with the ladies just over 5.0 hours. That is for stand-alone marathons -- not running after 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of running. One of the interesting aspects about watching the US Election was that it reminded me that Americans are aspirational in their politics. What I mean is that some Americans will vote against their likely long-term financial interest to protect themselves for when they make-it-big. In America, people believe that everyone has a shot at making it big. In many other countries, people believe that the system is stacked against them (the only way to make it big in many places is to leave!) -- in those situations, soft socialialism (Cdn Style) can make sense. For all you Republicans out there, you have to see the irony about the Democrats co-opting the hope message. In many ways, I see similar psychological attitudes towards endurance training. Athletes wanting to learn everything possible about elite and high-end run training -- many years before these techniques are appropriate for them. Thinking about those average marathon finishers... they are racing at between 10-minutes and 11.5-minutes per mile. What are the factors that will impact their finish time? Nutrition -- the single greatest performance enhancer for the bulk of the field is improved nutrition. This flows through in three main ways: improved body composition; increased energy; and increased training consistency (through reduced illness). Nutrition is NOT the same as weight loss. A weight-loss focus with poor nutrition is a short-term strategy that will result in PERMANENT endurance performance impairment via impaired metabolic function. That said, the main benefit to the average runner's performance flows through reduced body weight. Now, when you read the science, it will tell you that losing weight is an effective way to improve your VO2max (and I agree with that). However, is our average competitor (4.5 hours +/- 1 hour) really limited by VO2max? Is the average runner limited by their central capacity? I would say that average runner is peripherally limited. In other words, their capacity to put strain on their central aerobic system is what limits them. Why is this the case? Put plainly, most runners lack the necessary mileage to make marathoning an aerobic endurance event. For most, it is a strength endurance event. The media, and popular press, feed what our psychology desires, not what our lives need. So we need to recognize a cognitive bias that we share when it comes to performance in all fields. Consistently plugging away for years (saving, eating right, moderate training, getting out of bed...) these success factors are much more habitual than enjoyable. What is deeply satisfying is the life-situation that arises from an early-to-bed-early-to-rise approach to living. Back to running! So if your main goal for athletics is consistent training with outstanding nutrition... how should you approach your training? Long Term Consistent Mileage -- your optimal training approach is the strategy (today) that will MAXIMIZE your ten-year mileage. Unfortunately, humans are particularly poor at long term pay-offs. That's why only 1.6% of American Marathon finishers were able to get under 3-hours in 2005. What is mileage? As my friend, and coach, Bobby McGee says... EVERYTHING is mileage! Hiking, walking, jogging, running and, as a triathlete, I would add swimming, biking, crosstraining. For the mileage limited (and nearly all of us fall into that category), we need to use every means possible to sneak in bonus training. What are the items that most risk mileage? Here are mine: Not training first thing in the morning Getting off a routine sleep pattern Excessive training stress (session duration or intensity) resulting in injury Driving everywhere (a mile driven is one that you never get back into your log!) Excessive training stress (weekly or monthly volume) resulting in deep fatigue Lack of discipline with evening commitments (letting things run late, missing sleep) Note I still haven't mentioned a single thing about training protocol. I haven't because it doesn't matter to that average finisher. As student, we must demonstrate an ability "to do" (for years) before we are constrained by "what we do". Here's the basic week that I use to maintain my endurance options when I want to do a lot of work. The nice thing about running is that you get a large fitness return per minute invested. Five days per week -- at least one hour of running One day per week -- 2-4 hours of crosstraining, running, or mixed bike/hike One day per week -- an hour of walking or crosstraining 6 days per week are easy/steady and one day per week will include some mod-hard/tempo. Long time readers will know how I define intensity but an easy way would be to use Mark Allen's article on max aerobic heart rate. Easy is 20 under, Steady is 10 under, Mod-hard is just under... Mark's heart rate. The system isn't perfect but it is simple/effective and won't distract us from sorting out our nutrition/mileage (daily, for the next decade). Now, you'll see above that I listed 8-10 hours of exercise per week. That's far too much if you aren't used to it. So you will need to taper into the volume. Here's how: Until you can run for 10 minutes (any speed) and keep your heart rate under Mark's max aerobic, just walk. You should be able to walk fast and get your heart rate within 20 beats of your max aerobic zone -- and that is enough. Aim for 20 minutes of aerobic walking per day. Prove that you can do that daily, for a month, before progressing. Once your walking habit is well-established then try this workout. Walk ten minutes; (3x) 5 minutes easy running (with short steps) alternating with 1 minute brisk walking; walk ten minutes. At first, do this workout 1-2x per week. When you can manage it 4x per week, for 4 weeks, then consider adding a long hike on the weekend. Remember that your goal is high-quality nutrition and mileage by any means necessary. Speed is meaningless, while you will see rapid progress with this approach, it will be years before you learn your full potential. Enjoy the journey, it is a lot of fun. gordo PS -- In the early 90s, I was unable to complete a 5K run. In 2004, I ran a 2:46 marathon at the end of an Ironman Triathlon. You'll never know if you don't try and the rewards are much greater than athletic performance alone.
                              Cashmason

For Shan, Random thoughts on biking. The more comfortable the bike the slower it goes. The faster the bike can go the more it hurts your butt. Most comfortable = beach cruisers, hybrids, mountain bikes. Less comfortable = road bikes. Probably your best bet if you want to use biking for training for running. Least comfortable, time trial/ triathlon bikes. = overkill for what you are wanting to do now. Any bike you can borrow from friends or family is fine. No need to spend big bucks on a bike. Used bikes from garage sales or craigslist are fine too. The first 10 rides on a bike are usually gonna hurt your butt, until your butt gets used to the saddle. Make the first rides short ... say half hour or less even 10 minutes is fine..... this is like starting couch to 5k again. If I remember, you are about 5 foot 7. So your bike size will probably be about 54 cm. This could be up or down by 2 cm. So 52 to 56 would probably fit you. But let the bike store tell you for sure. Somebody your same size, might ride a different bike since their leg length and torso length will be different. Bike size is measured in centimeters from the center of the bottom bracket ( where the pedals come out of the frame of the bike) to the the top of the seat tube. Seat tube is the tube the seat and seat post fit into. It does not include the seat post or the seat, just the tube that is part of the frame. In general the top tube ( tube that runs parallel to the ground) should be about an inch under your crotch, and the top of the seat should be roughly equal to the top of your hip bone. You can move the seat up and down about 2 inches each way, so dont worry too much if the one you look at isnt at that height now.