Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

Dave

Interval day for me today. Should've run outside but I defaulted to the treadmill since it was raining earlier. I guess that's the downside to working in a big building without windows. Mile warmup and cooldown and 5x800M intervals at 6:50 pace with 400M recovery jogs at 9:00. Feeling surprisingly good afterwards. I've now run 11 out of the last 12 days.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice run Dave and WTG with your streaking!! I got in an AWESOME 19 miler. If I had brought water I would have probably gone for at least 3 more miles. It didn't quite go as I had planned. I was thinking to do something like this. First 5 9:15-10:00 pace then speed up and do the next 5 between 8:45-8:55 than speed up for the next 5 8:25-8:35. Last five would be nice and easy around 9:00-9:15 pace. Anyways I ended up with 12 miles faster than Marathon pace 6 of them faster than 8:35. I never did do the 5 easy pace miles at the end. All I could think about was water and how I actually thought about drinking out of the river Shocked cause I was so thirsty. I also only stopped once for water and had 2 powerbar gel blasts (not even a single serving) I was looking for something long hard and wet however it wasn't quite as hard or wet as I thought it would be! So 19 miles at an average pace of 8:48 Cool

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

I'm thinking I know what hill bounding is, but I'll wait for Bug's answer. Well, all this talk about running inspired me to go conquer a hill I haven't done in awhile... it's long and fairly decent in incline... I went all the way up ( about .35 miles) to the top and all the way down 9 times with a warmup and cooldown. And I did it in the rain. Smile I love it when you're running downhill and you feel so fast. Smile Lou, when do you leave for Boston? Dave, nice streak as well... still haven't decided on the half- I will let you know. Pam- again, wow- I would have needed water. Shan- where's your race?
          Sounds like you had fun Kimmie! Way to conquer that hill! MTA: Kimmie I sooooooooo needed water hence why I stopped at 19 miles since I was right by the house and not close to anywater other than a river, the rain and mud puddles. Pretty sad when your in the shower drinking the hot water coming down Blush

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Lol Pam I have done that too, drinking the water in the shower. I now carry a trail water bottle with even on short runs. I can drink when ever I want, and refill at a park drinking fountain if I have too. Kimmie, nice hill workout in the rain. I always think I will slip on the downhills in the rain when it is wet. And Bugs, I so agree with your coach about lack of stride length in the last 10k of a marathon, at least for me. Legs feel like they are moving the same speed, but I can tell I am slowing down, so my stride must be getting shorter. And I have nothing left energy wise to get back the stride I had the first 20 miles. So guess that means more hills for me.
              Kimmie - we're leaving for Boston day after tomorrow. I think there will be two days of all day shopping for the grandson arriving in August Smile, well, maybe we'll hit the expo Friday evening and shop all day Saturday. Whatever, it'll be fun. We're meeting up with a bunch of RA and KR (old coolrunning) masters at a party on Sunday, then run and run and run, and hopefully a good postrace party. Do I sound excited? We went to a reception for a brewpub we're investing in, in VA tonight -- that was fun! This was the first time I had any of the beers by the CEO/brewmaster -- needless to say they were excellent. They're hoping to open in November. Really nice facility, although it's all concrete floors and ceilings now. If any of the pictures I took come out well I'll post them, but it might be a couple of days before I find time.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Lou, Notice I said "hill springing" is different not better than running hills. Coach has all this girls do these exercises, but he still likes some runs on hills. What he would recommend for someone else, I can't say. I will find a link that shows it the best but I need to dig for it. Dave, Very nice interval workout. Thanks for running my intervals for me. Wink I almost got this client I'm working with this week convinced to start running and shoot for a 5K three months from now. She's my age, no kids, and (while she doesn't know it yet) has a very stressful job ahead of her and needs a way to burn off stress. Big grin

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Got an easy 6m in, and although it looked threatening and sprinkled briefly, it didn't rain. My wife said she was going to run until she felt done; I said I'd bring the fork (that's how you test if something is done, right?) Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow. Hard to keep up with all the great work you guys are doing. That's a great streak, Dave. I was feeling good about how tomorrow will be my 6th day in a row, but 11 out of 12 is a great run. It's nice when running isn't like work, huh? Kimmie, your hill run today made me think about this incredibly steep incline that's about .15 long right outside my door. Maybe after I'm done building this LHR base. Looks like good forecast for Boston. You guys should have a great time. I got a nice, easy 4.5 miles today and then followed it up with a mile run with 2 of my children. Now, to clean the kitchen and watch The Biggest Loser.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Because Lou asked:
                      You pump your knees up, swing your arms from and back straight (doesn't mean not bending but not side-way swing). As you lift your knees up, you sort of "snap" your ankle and back-leg to push off the ground. You should feel a bit of tension behind your knees; not much, but a little tension. Here's the slow-motion visual: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx For now, though, stick with the first exercise.: Steep Hill Running. The other two are very demanding to your legs; particularly on your Achilles. Chance of getting injured is too high.
                      The first exercise he called hill springing. The second hill bounding, I don't do that..

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Interval day for me today. Should've run outside but I defaulted to the treadmill since it was raining earlier. I guess that's the downside to working in a big building without windows. Mile warmup and cooldown and 5x800M intervals at 6:50 pace with 400M recovery jogs at 9:00. Feeling surprisingly good afterwards. I've now run 11 out of the last 12 days.
                        Nice running Dave. Good work! Today was 4 easy. Felt a little toasted after yesterday, and I was really busy at work, so I cut wayyyy back. Tomorrow is back to normal.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Reading these hill workout discussions also makes me want to do some hill repeats at some point.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

Now, to clean the kitchen and watch The Biggest Loser.
                            I am SO guilty of watching that show. 145 pounds lost for the one guy on there. Amazing. Makes me want to get a treadmill so that I can run while watching it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave did you suggest flying pig to me??

Dave

I probably mentioned it at some point. I'd love to run it but I'm not sure how my schedule is going to shake out. Based on the hilly course, I'm pretty sure I won't run Frederick. Maybe the half. The NJ Marathon is that weekend too and since we have friends up there, I might be able to entice the family along.

dgb2n@yahoo.com