Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah i think i'm gonna go to flying pig. It's only 9 hours away.

Bugs

IThe NJ Marathon is that weekend too and since we have friends up there, I might be able to entice the family along.
      Was looking at that marathon tonight, it looks perfect. Glad I motived everyone on the hill workouts.

Bugs

I must be one of the few people who don't like flat marathons and believe me they don't get any flatter than NJ. Did that last year. Did not like the flatness or the turns. I made the mistake of eating at the pasta dinner the night before. Talk about major tummy issue's during the race Dead

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Because Lou asked: The first exercise he called hill springing. The second hill bounding, I don't do that..
          Ok, I think I may be too self conscious to ever try running up a hill like that. Smile Maybe... I was pleased that I ran this hill because my running group has done this hill before and almost always we stop- say 60-90 seconds up... but I kept going and it gets steeper. The only thing I didn't do today was run the uphills fast. I know you're supposed to do that, but I just hadn't run hill repeats in so long that i was just happy to keep forward motion going. A man in a van drove by slowly with his window down, staring at me.. and I said "Can I help you?" very sarcastic like Evil grin Wow- where did that come from? Usually, I'm so nice. Big grin Paul- that's great that you got to run with your kids. I love running with my girls. And I watch that show too, but my DH hates it- so it's DVRed for another time. And eat Girl Scout cookies while you're watching it too.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - my flight is booked and race registered for Fargo!
            evanflein

So Shan... you stumble across some money tree to pay for all these flights/races? Geez... I guess it's not my business, but I'm amazed because I know how much this hobby costs... but then again not everyone has to fly across Canada just to get to the next state. I guess I'm jealous. Sorry. Ah, running hills. I have to work to avoid hills, actually. I do very few "hill repeats" but do pick some doozy hilly routes sometimes. Tonight was just baby hills... rolling stuff really. 5.2 miles in about 43 minutes, 8:17 pace. Then we went out to eat at a barbecue place where DH had coupons for, but it was closed. Apparently they're only open for lunch. So we went to a burger joint the kids like. They got burgers and club sandwiches with waffle fries. I couldn't find anything on the menu that looked good. Ended up ordering a salmon burger, but it was a preformed (and pre-frozen) salmon patty, dry and over salted. Gross. I asked for the tartar sauce on the side, and it was, but the bun was coated in greasy mayo. Yuk. I couldn't eat it. And the poor waitress asks how our food was, and I said it was the worst thing I'd ever had placed in front of me. She said "Oh, I'm sorry, you want me to take this away?" Yes, please. And take it off my bill! Well, they'd been trained to ask how you're doing, but not allowed or empowered to do anything about it. Yuk. Came home and had leftovers and popcorn.
                The first exercise he called hill springing. The second hill bounding, I don't do that..
                Thanks, Bugs. Looks like a good workout! Today's plan was 7 with 2 miles @ MP 7.1 miles, 57:33, 8:08/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR) Miles 2&3 were 7:57(149), 7:53(148) which might be an ok target. We'll have to see how long I can hold on to that. Note, of course, the garmin pace shows a little faster than actual pace -- the error is about 1% (5 secs/mi for me).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - I teach, work a supplemental activity at school, and tutor as much as I can. When I'm not running/sleeping I'm working to make some extra money. Most of my racing activities are covered with the side money i'm making. I can afford to fly 1x per month - roughly - everything else I need to drive. I live very very cheaply and I don't have anyone to pay for but myself so my bills are very cheap. And who knows in another month I may decide I can't afford it... but you are right it takes less to get me places than to get you places. So I think that last trail race ticked my ankle off. It's muscular but it's still not happy - so I didn't run yesterday afternoon or this morning. grumble grumble grumble.... hopefully this afternoon it will feel ok. Went to the trainer at school he confirmed it's muscular - instable ankle - just like the rest of me. I think the uneven grading of the trails just wore it out.
                  Kimmie

Erika- i wish I had more just hilly routes and not have to drive to run hill repeats. You can tell Lou is getting excited about Boston. Can't wait to hear about it. Shan- hope your ankle feels better. (sorry, I still can't call you jellyfish- I know you as Shan. Smile ) I remember having some disposable income before I was married with kids. I wish I was a marathoner then. Ok, I was going to post a question on the racing forum- but seriously, those people scare me with their sarcasm and wit. there's a half marathon on Sunday in the next town over. It's my PR- I have that 200 mile relay the following weekend. Should I run the half? Some of you have said yes already. I THINK I will feel recovered and we are running this relay for fun, but I've never done the relay thing and I just don't know how rested you should be going into it. This is not a hilly course, so that helps. And, I don't want to run it, I want to race it.... Just debating still... And my church is doing this banana split event that morning, so if I run it, I'm going to want to rush home, shower and still make it to church. Could be incentive to run fast. Pace- are you planning a taper for the relay? Can you tell I'm nervous about it? People in the group keep asking me if I'm ready. I'm like- yeah? I don't know- I've been running- what else is there to do? Have a good day all- I will be taking a Body Pump class and then running easy after that. Maybe I can get motivated to go outside in the rain again.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - Do it!!
                        Kimmie - if it were me I wouldn't run a race within a week of another race. Of course, remember I'm a lot older than you Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Bugs - my flight is booked and race registered for Fargo!
                          Big grin Awesome. When do you fly back? You're staying for the Saturday Night party right?

Bugs

Bugs

there's a half marathon on Sunday in the next town over. It's my PR- I have that 200 mile relay the following weekend. Should I run the half?
                            Do they have a 5K? You would probably run both races better if you ran a 5K. Running on tired legs sucks, but you seem to be able to do more hard workouts close together than I so maybe you would be fine. You know better than us.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Big grin Awesome. When do you fly back? You're staying for the Saturday Night party right?
                              I am flying in monday and out sunday.

Bugs

I am flying in monday and out sunday.
                                Monday????

Bugs