Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/1 (Read 283 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

omg please tell me to shut up... I know nothing about this thing called running - I should totally not be giving you advice... you should be giving it to me!

Bugs

Of course if you are doing a HRM then I guess you have to follow that number, but that's a different matter altogether, but I didn't think you were doing that.
      I was just playing with it for a couple of runs. I felt that I felt worse trying to run slower than my slow pace. I'm probably just having an off week.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I was just playing with it for a couple of runs. I felt that I felt worse trying to run slower than my slow pace. I'm probably just having an off week.
        an off week you say... then I suggest wine or ice cream! I have a feeling I will be trying the whole HRM at some point. But we shall see. Oh and as of tomorrow I am temporarily done streaking. I will have 1 rest day a week, but I hope that doesn't last too long!

Bugs

an off week you say... then I suggest wine or ice cream! I have a feeling I will be trying the whole HRM at some point. But we shall see. Oh and as of tomorrow I am temporarily done streaking. I will have 1 rest day a week, but I hope that doesn't last too long!
          I had ice cream today. Surprised Why are you quiting the streak? Just want to rearrange miles? I was ready to quit the streak earlier this week, tired of it hanging over my head, but now I'll wait and see. I hope to get back up to 50 mpw next week and I might need seven days to do it.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I have a friend who is going to help me get where I want to go in regards to running and one of his things is that he wants me to have a day off to think about running and keep me wanting it. But we both agree that it may not last long. We just have to see how i respond to training. I have myself a Nobby. hehe
            evanflein

I agree with calling the runs how they feel, not so much related to actual pace. I can do an 8:30 7 mile run and have it feel pretty easy. But the 4.5 to 5 mile out-and-back I do from home can be a pretty hard effort with the pace closer to 9 because of the long uphill return trip. So, that one is frequently in the 8:50 to 9 range, but I don't call it "easy."

Bugs

I have myself a Nobby. hehe
                There is only one Nobby, and very few in his league. But having someone that has exerience is a plus.

Bugs

Shan I'm sure it's from running more... Easy mainly keeps you from getting injured or burned out. And look at you, aren't you cute giving Bugs her own advice. Big grin I find it really hard to run slowly, if I run slower than 9 m/m I get sloppy and achey. Strange, I know. My "sweet spot" for speed really is my goal MP of 8:20 to 8:30. I feel like I can go all day at that pace. Of course, it's harder some days if I'm tired or sore or went out too fast at the beginning of the marathon... Roll eyes Murphy, get to bed earlier!! Goodness, the last few days before you leave is when you should be sleeping as much as you can because the last day or so will be hectic with travel and excitement. You know this, why am I saying it...? Bugs, in my case it's not the cold that slows me down, but the snow. Unless it's hard packed, it's a real drag on my legs. I read somewhere that Jeff Galloway believes that running 9 miles in snow is like running 12 miles on dry land. Not sure what the real ratio is or why he picked that example, but I believe it! And I trained for Boston through some pretty wicked weather, or temperatures I should say. Did most of my mid-week runs on the treadmill (tempos, intervals, mile repeats, easy, etc) and tried to do my weekend runs outside. That way I could run in the sunlight, which really helps. I'll run in the cold, and I'll sometimes run in the dark (but have a hard time with footing), but I really don't like dark AND cold!
                  Im still awake....ugh. I will relax all day Saturday..

Oh Mighty Wing

There is only one Nobby, and very few in his league. But having someone that has exerience is a plus.
                    I only meant someone who has taken me under their wing for reasons unknown to me. (you might know the reasons, but I don't) I meant more that to others it seems an unusual pairing, not that they were of the same caliber.

Bugs

I only meant someone who has taken me under their wing for reasons unknown to me. (you might know the reasons, but I don't) I meant more that to others it seems an unusual pairing, not that they were of the same caliber.
                      I was just teasing you. Nobby has some unique coaching techniques, that I have not seen with others, so no I wouldn't group him with others. He seems particularly interested and experienced helping the midpackers. One of the reason I admire him so much. I have seen various coaches on the forums give advice for slower runners that is not a good fit for them, but would be if you're faster. So many of the "coaches" don't consider time on feet. MTA: Not that you have to worry about that...like everyone said running more and you will see big improvements. If I was going to guess who was helping you...I would guess MarathonJunkie, but I have no idea. Could be Nobby himself for all I know.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I know you were teasing. Smile

Bugs

Bugs - I know you were teasing. Smile
                          Well you kept hassling me about asking in the swamp for coaching advice, but yet here you are ignoring the masses and trying to focus on one "coaches" advice which I think is a good thing.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Well you kept hassling me about asking in the swamp for coaching advice, but yet here you are ignoring the masses and trying to focus on one "coaches" advice which I think is a good thing.
                            I only meant to go there to get opinions. I think they offer lots of good opinions and advice, but they are hardly the place to go if you don't know enough to take what they offer and mold it into something usable - which is where I am. I know you could do that though. And I asked for help there and got good advice. I got good advice from all of you as well. The thing I realized and that I guess I was missing earlier when you were first talking about it is that it helps to have someone who supports or understands or isn't going to make fun of your goals and what drives you.

Bugs

I only meant to go there to get opinions. I think they offer lots of good opinions and advice, but they are hardly the place to go if you don't know enough to take what they offer and mold it into something usable - which is where I am. I know you could do that though. And I asked for help there and got good advice. I got good advice from all of you as well. The thing I realized and that I guess I was missing earlier when you were first talking about it is that it helps to have someone who supports or understands or isn't going to make fun of your goals and what drives you.
                              Oh Shan, I hope you don't feel as anyone is making fun of your goals. I think your potential is very unknown and with some miles in the books you could do anything you want. The swamp was not the right place for me post TCM. I was just in a place in my training and life where I needed more direct help from one source that I knew was reliable. There is a lot of bad advice on the forums and I've been bit by that before. I'm too old to keep making mistakes.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh Shan, I hope you don't feel as anyone is making fun of your goals. I think your potential is very unknown and with some miles in the books you could do anything you want. The swamp was not the right place for me post TCM. I was just in a place in my training and life where I needed more direct help from one source that I knew was reliable. There is a lot of bad advice on the forums and I've been bit by that before. I'm too old to keep making mistakes.
                                I don't think you guys are. This is the one place I feel I could divulge my goals and even if you thought I was crazy you would all be supportive. Smile And I agree with you - not that you are old - but I think we are both very similar in the fact that we could use direct help! It just took me getting serioius to realize what you meant all those times...