Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-16 (Read 305 times)

evanflein

Well, I guess I don't mind being the queen of cold if you don't mind being king of early! It's nice to get up and run early when I don't have much else going on. But I couldn't do it on a regular work day at home... I got out for another run along the waterfront this morning (and hey, it was 6:30 a.m., so that's really early for me!). It's funny seeing some people so bundled up out there, and I'm in shorts and a singlet and sweating... Not much any fog on the bay, more like a light mist, and the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz were clear this morning. I did stop at the turnaround point and admire the view... will be leaving tomorrow and no time in the morning for a run so this was it. 5.8 easy miles, 50:50 for just under 8:50 pace. Oh... it's 54 now and the sun is bright, hardly any clouds. A gorgeous day in San Francisco! And it's -19 in Fairbanks and cloudy... do I have to go home??

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika that sounds sooo nice!!! I'm jealous.
        I'm sooooooo jealous of you Erika!! I lived in SF years and years ago and LOVED It!! I'd love to run there some day! Glad your able to enjoy the City!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Got in a nice 9.25 mile run in the rain this morning. I've gotta keep myself busy cause I'm really itching to get out there again. Gotta calm these legs down a bit , I think they are enjoying themeselves way too much lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ok I'm having a REAL HARD TIME keeping myself from getting my running clothes and heading back out. Some one smack me lol. I'm running 16 or so tomorrow with a friend so I know i'm better off with just the one run i've done today however something is going on and I'm feeling WAY TO GOOD. I'm wondering if my body is finally adjusting to these longer daily runs. Anyhoo I'm sending all the extra energy to anyone who may need it today!

Oh Mighty Wing

Ok I'm having a REAL HARD TIME keeping myself from getting my running clothes and heading back out. Some one smack me lol. I'm running 16 or so tomorrow with a friend so I know i'm better off with just the one run i've done today however something is going on and I'm feeling WAY TO GOOD. I'm wondering if my body is finally adjusting to these longer daily runs. Anyhoo I'm sending all the extra energy to anyone who may need it today!
              i was going to say it might be the weather... hard to not want to be outside when it's warming up you know?? I had to control myself also - only 2 runs the last 2 days and 1 run today - even though I wanted to run alot more!!! haha maybe we are just adjusting to the running!!!
                I'm thinking you two are (even more) OCD (than the rest of us). Big grin

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

I'm thinking you two are (even more) OCD (than the rest of us). Big grin
                  DING, DING, DING. We have a winner !! Two awful days at work but at least I wasn't trying to log miles. I'm going to hit the expo around lunch tomorrow assuming work cooperates. I'll be in uniform most likely so I'll be easy to spot.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

I haven't run since Monday!!! I'm the opposite of Shan and Pam... can't seem to get going... another sinus headache for me. sigh- I will be at the EXPO at 12 ish tomorrow... don't know what I'm wearing... but you've seen my picture.

Bugs

Erika, You're there for work right? You sure get to go to nice places. I was there once, I would have told you bring extra sweaters. (Bugs likes it HOT). Boss thinks he might send me to New Jersey soon, of all the rotten luck. RockenMamma, You're in amazing shape. Kim, Sorry you are not feeling better. You will be back at it. Just a crappy time of year. I've been coughing this week. Not as bad as Nobby. Poor guy isn't going to want to hang out with sick-o-bugs again. I get the coughing tight chest thing now and then. It really sucks. Cash, What makes you think Nobby is coaching me ;0 Seriously though, this is a see what happens plan. I think the email coaching is a little like throwing darts blind folded. I did fartlek tonight. New plan, Thursdays are suppose to alternate fast-longer, and the next week really-fast and shorter. I ran .6 mile intervals 4:20-3:58 (like 7:1-6:40 pace), would have been very easy if my dam lungs would open up. I guess we'll call this short-and-fast. I wish I would not keep having handicaps on point workout days.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Well, I guess I don't mind being the queen of cold if you don't mind being king of early! It's nice to get up and run early when I don't have much else going on. But I couldn't do it on a regular work day at home... I got out for another run along the waterfront this morning (and hey, it was 6:30 a.m., so that's really early for me!). It's funny seeing some people so bundled up out there, and I'm in shorts and a singlet and sweating... Not much any fog on the bay, more like a light mist, and the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz were clear this morning. I did stop at the turnaround point and admire the view... will be leaving tomorrow and no time in the morning for a run so this was it. 5.8 easy miles, 50:50 for just under 8:50 pace. Oh... it's 54 now and the sun is bright, hardly any clouds. A gorgeous day in San Francisco! And it's -19 in Fairbanks and cloudy... do I have to go home??
                        I love running in San Fran. That run around the Embarcadero from the Bay Bridge until you get in sight of the Golden Gate Bridge, although long, is hard to beat for the number of sights to see. I don't think I'm going to get there this year, unfortunately, my conference travel is going to take me to Chicago this year. (Woo). 8.5 for me today with strides. But, I've put in 70 over the last seven days, which is cool. First time for that in 2 and a half months...
                          Good luck in DC Saturday, everyone!! Im really sad I won't be there. I will however be in Dayton tomorrow, watching basketball from noon til midnight, and on Sunday. 8 miles tonight. I felt really good. Had a few more miles in me. Thats a good sign. Im still 10 pounds above my normalish weight..I should lose that by the Flying Pig. Will probably run a few tomorrow morning. Nothing crazy..Have medium-long run planned for Sat and long run for Sunday morning. Cmon someone else run the Pig...Shan?
                          Cashmason

RockenMamma, You're in amazing shape. .
                            Bugs, all the ladies on this thread are in amazing shape..... that includes you! On line long distance coaching works fine if you dont need pointers on form. The rest of coaching is run X miles at Y pace or RPE, so you develop the proper body adaptations so that you can run further and faster. The coach just makes sure you do the runs that advance you the fastest while reducing the chance for injury. Not much running this week. Will wind up teaching spin 5 days instead of the regular two days. Several of the sessions are in the evening and then again 12 hours later the next morning. Plus meeting a friend for a hike tomorrow after teaching spin. Will try to get a swim in after spin before hiking. If the classes are 24 hours apart, I can run after spin. But I dont recover fast enough these days to teach, run and turn around and teach 12 hours later.
                            Cashmason

Shan around the block at this point is fine on the bike. I love the speed bumbs. We talk about sore bums on the bike, all the time You will learn to raise your bum a half inch off the seat and let your knees act as shock absorbers when you go over speed bumps. Its a lot more comfortable that way.
                                What to wear for the race? It looks like it will be about 36°F at the start, with 6 mph wind. Same weather here at home this morning. I'm going to try a short run without pants, although this temp is on the edge of pants for me. I think I'd get warm though during the race. Howcum no discussion of the weather, Dave? Isn't that a pre-marathon pastime?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com