Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/3 (Read 310 times)

Cause I CAN

Race Listing November 8th Bugs - 5K Hoping surgery on throat will not cause me to cancel. November 16th Brian - Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa. Goal - Keep up with Dad December 7th Murphy - Vegas Marathon Goal - Sub 5 Shan - Brian's Run Goal - Sub 4 January 11, 2009 jhallum - Disney Marathon Erika -Disney Marathon February 14 2009 Kimmie - ? Marathon Goal 3:45- BQ March 21, 2009. Dave - National Marathon Goal - Sub 3:30 April 20, 2009 Erika - Boston Marathon May 8th, 2009 Bugs - Fargo Marathon May 23rd, 2009 Inertia - Bayshore Marathon
    Terri Georgia Marathon - March 29, 2009 hoping liver or work doesnt cause her to cancel
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

Everybody has a marathon before me. Flip I have six months to run my tush off. Don't you guys have winter??? Kimmie, Fargo is flat and cool too, but tends to be windy. I'm still hoping to get some professional help for the next one. Planning to keep a good base up, run about 10xWeek, loose 6 pounds, half marathon in January, March, and lots of hills. I have no advice on the 5K. I'd be interested in seeing the replies. I've always struggled running fast short distances after a marathon. I really think I detrain pretty quickly. I've always ran my best 5Ks (22-23:00) on high mileage, and some faster runs earlier in the week. I've been doing strides trying to get ready for mine this weekend. I run them very hard. The first mile I hold back just a little. The second mile I speed up, try to pass anyone I want to be road kill, and the last I just tell myself we're almost home, always listening for footsteps of someone on my heels. I don't use a watch for these races, This is good approach for flat 5K, not if huge hills at the end. I have surgery on my throat tomorrow, well at least that is what I was told was going to happen. I'm really hoping this is as minor as getting a tooth pulled as I don't want any down time.

Bugs

Bugs

Just got back from a parent teacher conference for my oldest (5th grade). She's doing great and will probably bring home straight A's.
        Must get those smarts from her Mother. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - i'm sub1 not sub4 hehe Dave - already told dh i'd be bringing you home for a shower before eating with you and the family Evil grin Kimmie - i might do a turkey day 5k as well!! Peach - yeah for a goal marathon!!

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you have 1 before me Wink i'll be thinking about you tomorrow! i hope it's easy as pie with a quick recovery

Bugs

Dave and Shan are going to shower together??? Shocked

Bugs

Cashmason

Kimmie, you will blow away your 24 minute 5k pr. I have run 22:55 for a 5k, and your marathon time is way faster than mine. You have the endurance from your marathon training to go out fast and hold it for the entire race. The hard part about a T-Day 5k is that they are usually crowded, and getting up to speed when a whole bunch of slower runners started in front of you can be difficult.
                  Have we heard from Erika?? Im sure shes travelling and whatnot..hope she came through it healthy. Got my 12 miles in yesterday at 8:30pm-10:30ish. Good run, I warmed down the last mile. My ankle is quite tender today. Will run an easy 3 today. Still have to vote. So will get out pretty late. Travelling Wed-Fri. May do treadmill miles--or running around a strip mall--fun Hope all goes well with the neck, bugs. Not sure what to make of the shan/Dave shower meet.

Dave

Alright, the peanut gallery is officially out of control. Shocked I think the concept was that she was offering a place to get a shower after the race given the 3 hour drive for me to get back home. I'm still negotiating with the wife on this one. I'm going to be crewing and taking pictures at the JFK 50 miler two weeks earlier for Tri-Kev and this will make two running events in three weeks. Might also mean we have to get someone to take our turn at childcare at church. On the plus side, I could get my daughter to run the 1 miler and possibly could sign my wife up for the 5K walk. Its a good cause. We'll see.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

they give hot chocolate at the end!!! and hot soup and fruit!

Bugs

I'm back..today was just consultation. (I asked the nurse if when the appointment was setup, ugh...) Long story short, I think we're back to just watching my neck and doing nothing for awhile. Good news is I got to run this morning, like 9.5 mile easy with strides mixed in. Was a good run. Bad news is my trend weight went up today.

Bugs

Kimmie

Bugs, so glad that you didn't have to have surgery today. 9 miles? wow! dave, I think I will run the Ashburn Farm 10K/5K on Thanksgiving Day. It's 2 miles from my house and they give out pizza after... very fun... You should come run it with me. Shan and I will duke it out over who gets custody of Dave. Smile

Bugs

It's a threesome now. Wink I feel so left out, probably because my trend weight is up. I can't believe it's Tuesday and I have 17.6 miles logged. I am loving this new schedule.

Bugs

I'm back..today was just consultation. (I asked the nurse if when the appointment was setup, ugh...) Long story short, I think we're back to just watching my neck and doing nothing for awhile. Good news is I got to run this morning, like 9.5 mile easy with strides mixed in. Was a good run. Bad news is my trend weight went up today.
                              So, what exactly are strides? I see them mentioned all over (especially by Nobby), but never knew exactly how to do them. Tempo run, got it; intervals, got it; fartlek, got it. I'm always thinking they concentrate on form, and are run very fast, just at random times during a run. This right? Are they "all-out" fast? What exactly is the point, what do you gain from them?

Bugs

Brain, LOL, I don't know exactly how I should be running them. Nobby gave me a schedule he made for one of his girls who is training for Boston which is close to when my marathon is, but without any specifics. I suppose I really do fartleks since the distance is guessed. His schedules are all by time. Really this makes quite sense because that is why the advanced schedules do not work for me, the volumne of running wears me out. So today I ran with spurts of fast running 5K-10K pace. They are a light form of speed work but without as much recovery needed. Today I kept it on the easy side because yesterday I was quite tired, and I have my 5K on Saturday and I've overdone it the week before so I tried to not do too much. MTA: Strides, Fartlek, Intervals...take your pick I'm not sure they're all that different of a workout. Well maybe strides are less taxing since they are shorter??? Opinions???

Bugs