Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/3 (Read 310 times)

Cashmason

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- How I measure progress. 10 weeks ago the Swim Nazi ( swim and tri coach) was harping on my head was too high, and I was looking forward too much and not down. 3 weeks ago, harping on not reaching enough and elbows not high enough on recovery. Today she was harping on my fingers were spread apart and not closed. I'm thinking the main problem is getting smaller, so that is progress. 10 weeks ago 20 minute time trial 600 yards ( needed lots of rest breaks to catch my breath) today 950 yards in 20 minutes. Was hoping for 1000, but not quite there yet. 25 yard sprint 18 seconds... which for me is good. That was the morning. Afternoon, I taught Indoor Cycle class, can't call it spin because Johnny G copyrighted the Spin name. But everyone else calls it spin, except the people he can sue for using the name. Good for building upper leg strength, not so good for lower leg strength. Oh well, I can do it, and the calf doesnt hurt doing that.

Dave

Cash, sounds like the swimming is going .... well ... swimmingly Tongue (sorry, couldn't resist). P2R, hitting 50 on 5 running days is fantastic. It's pretty good on 7 days now that I think about it. Nice running, Shan. You have been so consistent lately. I'm back at home this morning after my impromptu business trip. Nothing like flying 6 hours for a 3 hour meeting. I did get in 5 miles on the treadmill at the hotel though. Might try and get 4 or 5 in today and then will meet a few RA'ers downtown tomorrow for a 10 mile run (Trent and a couple others). Still struggling with some hangstring pain from Tuesday's workout (thrusters are evil) but it probably won't affect my running much. MTA: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Barbell_Thruster.wmv . It looks sort of like that when I do it except I'm using much less weight and whining pretty much the whole time.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Cash, That's funny about the spin name. I work for a company that has bought and sold companies, been bought and sold. Well along the way we got this patent for e-mail software, it's very general, like using software to route e-mail. Think how many companies got these big support centers with email that needs to be routed to the right department? EVERYONE. So we sold the patent, and this guy goes and sues everyone that didn't have the right because he has the patent. No one wants a lawsuit on their hands, so they each give him $2 mil to shut-up. I know he made at least $58 mil. Only in America P2R, Great work on the miles. You take a few days off and you can jump right back up there that's great. Weather is bad for 5K today, cold and windy. Off to run a warm-up on TM. I need to break last years time of 25:18 which shouldn't be hard at all. (Coming off injury last year.)

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Erika, Nice race report, and nice way to gut it out to fit with a respectable time! Bugs, Kimmie, etal: I don't have a Bosu, but I used one when I did PT two years ago. It's totally cool, and I've been thinking about buying one myself. Worth every penny, I'd bet. Bugs, Did the snow miss you guys? My parents barely got an inch, so I figure you guys couldn't have gotten all that much. I'm spending the weekend at my inlaws in the Boston Suburbs, and the running has been great here. It's still warm, and will be until we get back to Michigan, when it'll be cold again. This bout of Indian Summer sure has been nice, though, it would be nice to get another week in the 50s before it shuts down for real... Jeremy

Bugs

Number One Wins First First in A.G anyway. It was a race with with lots of young bucks and doe (deer season talk) which is good, those 20 year old should beat me. My good friend (the one also running Fargo) ran and I kept her behind me barely. She was breathing really hard, not me. I just couldn't clear my throat and felt a little crappy today. I have not figured out the perfect schedule to run these 5Ks. My legs felt flat and my cold didn't help either. But I'm very happy about today as it s basically same time as I ran in September and proves this is my best come back post marathon ever. So now I have a bench mark to improve next 5K in one month. LOL, almost forgot to post time: 23:28. I'll do better in a month, assuming the weather doesn't prevent me to get to the cities. My first hardware (besides finisher metals) all year... jhallum, We got mostly rain and it's melting fast. Windy today though. I talked to Mother inlaw in ND and they 8 inches and everything was shutdown because of bad roads. ND is not a running friendly state, show, ice, and no trees to break the wind.

Bugs

CONGRATS BUGS ON THE AG WIN!! Went a short 2-1/2 miles tosay, and walked the last 1-1/2 back with my dw who came out with me and walked/ran 1.5. My ankle hurt a bit initially. But actually ran a good pace. Ran on the flat trail. Long run scheduled for tomorrow. May actually go back out for a few more easy today.
              Kimmie

Kimmie, Is that this guy? .
                no, that's not him... His name is Patrick Goudeau. And nice job on the AG win! How were your mile splits? I still don't know how to pace a 5K. I've been at a soccer tournament all day so no running for me today. Dave, what's the 10 miler tomorrow?

Bugs

And nice job on the AG win! How were your mile splits? I still don't know how to pace a 5K.
                  I didn't wear a watch, don't like to for a 5K. Assuming a mostly flat course I like to run the first mile holding just a little back, second you run it like it is your last mile. During the second mile try to pick off anybody within reach. If you can get even 10 feet ahead of them mentally it is very hard for someone to pass you the last mile. Odds are they will pace off you and not pass you. Listen for footsteps, your somebody's target, don't let them win. The third mile you just focus about how you will rest will you finish. Don't save finish kick for the very end, do it sooner. Keep telling yourself in seven minutes I'll be done. Don't let up the last .25 mile, even the last 10 feet. Too many times I have thought I had my placement and somebody whips past me because I let up. Oh that makes me angry at myself. Can you tell I like 5Ks? I feel crudy, this cold sucks.

Bugs

Bugs

Wow, today was my 2nd best 5K ever. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

awesome job Bugs!!! Wussed out of my long run today - did the 2 miles that are due tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow will go better. Long runs have become this huge mental wall that I am having trouble knocking down.

Dave

WAY TO GO BUGS!! No second place for you Big grin I predict 22 minutes for a 5K by next summer.
                        Dave, what's the 10 miler tomorrow?
                        Trent is in town for some sort of conference. Meeting up with him tomorrow afternoon and a couple of others for a run around the mall. It will be slow, which I need right now.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Trent is in town for some sort of conference. Meeting up with him tomorrow afternoon and a couple of others for a run around the mall. It will be slow, which I need right now.
                          you are gonna love trent! (if men do that) Wish I had paid more attention I would have drove down!

Dave

you are gonna love trent! (if men do that) Wish I had paid more attention I would have drove down!
                            You've got time if you want to come down. Doesn't start until 3:30. BTW, some men do that. I don't Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

hehe ok then you will thoroughly enjoy his company. He's very nice. Can't tomorrow, but good news is that barring all complications I've got the go ahead for march!!

Bugs

I predict 22 minutes for a 5K by next summer.
                                Or sooner! I am certain I ran a 20:26 once, but the course was short and nobody had a garmin on because it was raining. I ran a 2 mile in 13:56 (6:58 pace once). I think I will shoot for sub 23 for next 5k, in one month. I just wish I knew how to rest for them. I actually do better if I am rest more the week before, and running quick the week of.

Bugs