Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/25 (Read 160 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Dave, sorry to hear that.

Erika - it was a kid from RA actually.

I went to a local xcountry championship race today, and got shangaied into spotting, so I didn't get to see the finishes, but I did run around the course some before it all started, and then got some tiny little run segments in, running back to my spotting position after each race began. I didn't see as much of the boys varsity race as the others, b/c I was afraid to stay as long near the big area in the middle where they keep crossing, cause the front of that field was moving along about 5min/mi, and I wasn't sure I could run back to my spotting position in time after they went by the middle for the last time --even though they had to go further and up a big hill, I thought they still might beat me if I waited too long Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My two pair of "new" shoes have 280mi and 290mi. I've just bought another pair of even newer shoes, but looks like I need to keep buying Sad

Good morning!

Sorry about Dave's foot, but glad it is getting better.

No running for me in a tapering kind of way.  

Starting to get excited about Sunday's marathon.  I had one of those dreams where I showed up at the starting line and everything was wrong: I had on my work socks, I had my wallet which needed to be put somewhere, was wearing a really heavy backpack, and forgot to bring my about gels and ecaps.  Harriet (in the dream) had decided at the last minute to run the ironman option, which started the night before so that the marathon could be early morning.  The backpack had her wet towels in it from the swim.

I decided to take today off of work to brew beer, but now I am procrastinating.  I'll head downstairs to start soon, though. 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Good morning all!

Ran 7 miles yesterday with weights sandwiched in the middle... that was fun but I may not do that again.   Ran 4.5 miles this morning a little faster.

Kevin (Tri-Kev) is going to take my bib for the Marine Corps Marathon.   So, if you see a really fast time posted in the results under my name, you'll know it's not me.  Smile  I think that was a good decision.  I'm not in any shape to run.... I probably COULD complete the distance but I risk injury and I don't have the desire to just struggle through.

Lou- good luck to you and Harriet!   Are you guys shooting for a time goal?   

Glad your foot is better,, Dave.

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - I think you made the right call.  Plus, now you get the glory of a really fast time without the effort!

Good luck Lou and Harriet on the race.

Did a 1 mile warmup followed by 6 mile pace run.  Cooler temps really help me, and I was shocked when I got back and looked at my times. 

9:14
            9:00
            9:02
            8:39
            8:48
            7:38

Never felt like I was pushing until at the end of that last mile when I was striding.  It was the kind of run that will make me smile randomly during the rest of the day. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lou- good luck to you and Harriet!   Are you guys shooting for a time goal?   

Not really.  The summer was too hot for any speed work.  I'll go out at a certain pace (maybe 3:35 target) but won't feel too bad if I have to back off.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's an entertaining sounding dream, although it probably didn't feel fun in the dream - with the stress at the starting line. Hopefully reality will be nothing like that.

MTA: Just got an Army results email from Dave (thanks) -- I came in 80th in my age group - woohoo Smile

Cashmason

Just went to Road Runner Sports clearance store in San Diego.   Got twice worn shoes for 30 dollars,  Asics GT 2150's.  All their twice worn shoes are 30 dollars.

Once worn were 50 dollars.

So if you are ever in the San Diego area,  you can score some decent shoes for a good price.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, that's a great deal.  I mean, even if the two wearings were two marathons, that's only 50mi used Smile

We'll be out there, for sure.  We might just check it out, between spending time with our grandson.

So for you local and semi-local people, the Frederick Marathon is no more.  The organizers decided to focus on the half marathon, and they have proposed a course for a Saturday race (first Saturday in May).  I guess the up-shot is that Frederick isn't really built for a marathon, and they have been having a hard time getting enough entrants for it to be worth the cost and effort (e.g., last year there were 2600 half and only 600 full participants).  They plan to expand the half to support up to 5000 entrants.

theyapper

On the road again...

That's a great deal, Cash.  I'd def pay that.  Of course, I'll never be near there...

Paul

evanflein

It was the kind of run that will make me smile randomly during the rest of the day. Big grin

I love this! Nice run, Paul. And enjoy that feeling. Not all your runs will be good and smile-worthy, of course, but I think you're on track to have more and more of them.

Good luck and fleet feet to Lou and Harriet this weekend! And Kimmie running fast by proxy. Hey, it works.

No run yesterday, made up for it by snacking and eating all day. One of those days where you're busy, but not active, and you munch and snack, but never get "not hungry." So I'm fat and lazy this week. Some kinda crash-taper I guess. I'll try to get out at the end of the day today, leave work a little early to see if I can find some cleared sidewalks or bike paths. Won't be easy: we got more snow today! It's the sort of day where I'd love to go for a run, but nothing's been cleared yet. We'll see how it goes. I might give up and hit the treadmill at home.

Cashmason

No run yesterday, made up for it by snacking and eating all day. One of those days where you're busy, but not active, and you munch and snack, but never get "not hungry." So I'm fat and lazy this week

Don't worry Honey.   If you only do this a couple weeks a year,  I will still love you.

Just don't ask me if that pair of running shorts makes your  arse look fat....  wink.

Ran a mile and a half with each dog seperately.  3 miles total.    Both are drag chutes ( those parachutes behind race cars to slow them down after a race)

Never thought dogs would run slower than I do.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice easy 12 mile run this morning.  It's getting colder, for sure.  I enjoyed my cutback week, and was glad to close the books on Oct with 200.2 miles.  Most ever by a long shot.

Paul

Nice month, Paul!

Just 2 for me this morning.  I'll run further tomorrow, I swear.