Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/8 (Read 247 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

You have no idea how much I'd like to make this swampy. Just swapping two words.
    don't think I hadn't thought of that already... but this is not the swamp... Erica and Bugs - I hope we will all still be here in 9.something years so I can rant... really I hope everyone in this group is here in 10 years - i'll probably need advice from all of you by then! By the way - big announcement... so we are putting babies on hold till after september. Babies and marathoning don't mix and I have some dreams which I won't get to chase after once we have kids - or at least it will be a lot less likely. So DH and I decided I should chase these dreams first. Then we can worry about kids - but he did make me promise that if kids happens between now and then I won't be upset. Smile anyway i just wanted to give you the update!
    Kimmie

funny stuff you guys... I"ve been married for 10 years so what does that mean? Shan.... just FYI- I've been pregnant twice- both times I had just started training for my first marathon and then I found out that I was pregnant. Smile It's a nice reason to not be able to run one... not that that will happen to you. Ran 5 miles or so in the rain- yay me... Smile but it was dreadfully slow- too tired, I guess. Like the bathroom, by the way, Bugs.... and my daughter makes me laugh when I'm supposed to be disciplining her all the time. Smile

Bugs

Kimmie, I hope we are all here in 10 years too...or some forum together. My DS is 10 years my senior and she has all these reasons she can't run or exercise hard. (She said her lungs burn and rants about aging.) I'm not saying she doesn't have valid medical reasons, but I just hope that age doesn't stop me.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie - don't tell me that! Oh man! Now I'm going to wait a week to sign up for the half! aaahhh
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'll be here in 10 year. And in 50. I'm gonna run till I'm 111 - it's the only shot I have at ever taking an AG win! Tried my first marathon pace run this morning as part of my medium/long run. It was tough. I've got a bit of speed, I'll need to work on endurance as I build my training program. I know it's way early, the 16 week buildup doesn't even start until almost Feb. However, this is going to be my first marathon that has more than just mileage. I've been trying a variety of workouts (Many pulled from Daniels Runnign formula) just so they're not totally new when Feb rolls around. Plus, they help keep things fresh and exciting.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - I think it's a great idea to experiment! You get a feel for the exercise AND you get to see how your body will react while you still have plenty of time for recovery if you need it!! I hope you have fun playing around!

Dave

Kimmie - don't tell me that! Oh man! Now I'm going to wait a week to sign up for the half! aaahhh
                The old Shan would've signed up right away if it meant that it increased her chances of getting preggers Big grin Shan, basebuilding, basebuilding, basebuilding. Maybe through the end of January. (I'm telling myself the same thing). MrI, sounds like you're really progressing well. The MP fast finish long runs were the runs that really helped me build my confidence to hold the faster pace. I've lost a whole lot of that confidence through recovery. I'm really going to have to rebuild. The idea of doing even a HM at goal pace scares me. We've got cold rain today. Hopefully will get out for a few.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

The old Shan would've signed up right away if it meant that it increased her chances of getting preggers Big grin Shan, basebuilding, basebuilding, basebuilding. Maybe through the end of January. (I'm telling myself the same thing). MrI, sounds like you're really progressing well. The MP fast finish long runs were the runs that really helped me build my confidence to hold the faster pace. I've lost a whole lot of that confidence through recovery. I'm really going to have to rebuild. The idea of doing even a HM at goal pace scares me. We've got cold rain today. Hopefully will get out for a few.
                  It's true she would have, but it was making me feel like a caged animal whose owner gets paid for breeding. Besides I have lots I want to do between now and October that I can't do if I'm preggers. Basebuilding huh - I think that's what I'm doing - honestly, my coach says do this - I ask a bunch of questions - and then I do it. Why did you lose your confidence?

Dave

It's true she would have, but it was making me feel like a caged animal whose owner gets paid for breeding. Besides I have lots I want to do between now and October that I can't do if I'm preggers. Basebuilding huh - I think that's what I'm doing - honestly, my coach says do this - I ask a bunch of questions - and then I do it. Why did you lose your confidence?
                    Wow. Caged animal paid for breeding. That's an awful thought. Has sort of a Michael Vick ring to it that disturbs me. I recall the blister people being pretty supportive of waiting Undecided I missed that you have a coach. As far as my confidence goes, I think I lost it because I've dealt with about a month of leg pain that I connect in my mind with the really hard efforts leading up to my 10 miler PR and marathon PR. It takes a certain amount of confidence/insanity to push out at a 7:10 pace and hold it there for 10 miles when your regular pace is closer to 9's and even your tempo runs are 7:30ish. It hurts. A lot. And it makes me a little gun shy about going there again. Good grief, that sounds so lame but probably one of the most honest posts I've put up on here.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

ran 5.5 miles on the treadmill because of the cold rain that Dave mentioned that we have here... Dave if you run outside in this, I will feel like a wimp. Smile I tried to do 1/2 mile repeats... the only way I can take the treadmill. alternating between cruise intervals, goal MP intervals, and threshold intervals. Felt good.... Good runs everyone.... Dave, I bet you'll find that your speed will be back before you know it.

Oh Mighty Wing

Wow. Caged animal paid for breeding. That's an awful thought. Has sort of a Michael Vick ring to it that disturbs me. I recall the blister people being pretty supportive of waiting Undecided I missed that you have a coach. As far as my confidence goes, I think I lost it because I've dealt with about a month of leg pain that I connect in my mind with the really hard efforts leading up to my 10 miler PR and marathon PR. It takes a certain amount of confidence/insanity to push out at a 7:10 pace and hold it there for 10 miles when your regular pace is closer to 9's and even your tempo runs are 7:30ish. It hurts. A lot. And it makes me a little gun shy about going there again. Good grief, that sounds so lame but probably one of the most honest posts I've put up on here.
                        It's not the waiting that the issue - or getting pregnant for that matter. It was in the mechanical nature in which we resorted too. Every time he wanted it he said it was time to make babies, I often got - so it is time to try yet it's got to be getting close. we should do it every other day and every day when it's about that time. WHERE IS THE PASSION IN THAT???? If I turned out preg. sure i'd be sad that I have to cancel the 09 plans for marathoning, but I would still be happy. Conflicting goals are hard - we've decided that it would not be a bad idea for me to focus on running right now and that babies can wait till after our trip to tahoe. Wow Dave you really pushed yourself! You are right that would take alot out of any person! And the fact that you then had to deal with an injury didn't help. But, hopefully somewhere inside your fire was fueled and once you get back into hard training you will remember that feeling and be hungry for it. Thank you for being honest and sharing with us.

Hail to The Victors!

As far as my confidence goes, I think I lost it because I've dealt with about a month of leg pain that I connect in my mind with the really hard efforts leading up to my 10 miler PR and marathon PR. It takes a certain amount of confidence/insanity to push out at a 7:10 pace and hold it there for 10 miles when your regular pace is closer to 9's and even your tempo runs are 7:30ish. It hurts. A lot. And it makes me a little gun shy about going there again. Good grief, that sounds so lame but probably one of the most honest posts I've put up on here.
                          Yeah, you aren't the only one who has had those kind of confidence issues. I couldn't run hard for three months after Toronto because of exactly those kind of mental things. It will pass. Its hard because it seems like it will NEVER pass, but it will pass. Look at the bright side: It's winter, so it's not like you should be running tons of speed anyway, just go with the easy miles and pick your spots when you feel good, and things will come around. Trust me on this one.

Dave

This place is like group therapy. "Dave is joining us today" "Hi Dave" "You need to say it out loud. Its OK. You're safe here." "OK, OK, I admit it. I'm afraid to run hard. I'm afraid" - bursts out in tears. "It's OK, man. We've been there. You'll get through it." You guys are the best Big grin 5 miles on the treadmill. At a nice easy pace.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

AAWWWW [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[GROUP HUG ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
                              Kimmie

Hey dave, thanks for running on the treadmill so that I didn't have to feel bad about myself.