Marathon Trainers

10/6-10/12 (Read 276 times)

Bugs

Erika, I wish you were here to do it with me.

Bugs

evanflein

Me too. I'm really bummed about missing the Royal Victoria Marathon on the 12th. I'll be running a long run in a park in St. Louis on that day, sort of my "in absentia" marathon, or almost. I'll probably only do 18 at the most. This will be the first marathon that I've paid to enter and don't go. The more I think about it the madder I get Angry so I guess I better think about something else. Hey, so what marathon is it that's on the 19th and is all hilly and stuff? Not that I'll be able to go, but I'd like to know... Sure wish I was independently wealthy and could travel to any and every race I wanted to run. *sigh* I'm a marathon maniac hobbled by financial issues. Undecided

Bugs

Erika, I'm sorry you're not running your marathon on the 12th. I missed that, thought you were. But you're still running New York City right? It's the Des Moines Marathon. It's about 200 miles south of me. I've never been to Iowa. But I gotta work on my husband first. I'm not sure how he's going to handle this. The reviews say it is really hilly, and they describe it as hills from miles 3-8. People say Twin Cities is a difficult course, good grief, it's not just rolling hills. Could you look at the course elevation and tell me what you think? Say, what airport do you usually fly out of?

Bugs

Dave

Bugs, I looked at the elevation profile (tough to find I thought, it was on the combo map) and it didn't look that bad. Only 200 feet elevation change on the hills and its mostly flat after that. USMC is billed as "flat" and it has bigger hills. Murph, FWIW, on your question in the main forum, cramping can be quite a few things. Sounds like it can be electrolytes (mostly effecting muscles like charlie horse type cramps in calves and legs) and also pushing beyond your fitness level (like the cramps I got on my 10 miler in the last couple of miles, more of a stitch). I think the gallowalk thing (1 minute per mile from the start) is your best bet at a strong showing. MTA: For my next marathon cycle (the one coming up for March), I think I'm going to try something like this: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9254&CategoryID=&PageNum=1 Sort of like what I did this time but with a bit more structure.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Erika: You'll love the park if it's the well known one downtown. http://www.gostlouis.org/2008%20Course%20Map.pdf has the marathon course map that takes you past some nice sights downtown as well. Fall color is just starting to show here. Oktoberfest, http://www.hermannmo.info/ is also going on in Hermann. Lots to do this time of year. Bugs: Very easy drive for you to get to DesMoines. You should do it. I don't remember DesMoines being that hilly but any town with a river is going to have a few suprises I'm sure. You could stop at Boondocks USA on the way down. Recovery run for me yesterday. Felt some soreness from the 1/2. Feels like I was in a race. I'll try it again this morning. Temps are going back down and I'm ready for the cooler mornings to come back.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

I had a massage yesterday, it was after it I felt sore. Yoga last night, that was not easy, and feeling a bit more sore today. My hip flexors are raw sausages. Broke the idea to DH about possibliy running another marathon, wow that didn't go over so well, not a surprise. P2R, good work on the HM. You should be running the Des Moines HM! Dave, Thanks for posting that. I know I need to work on the phases a little. I got a bit stuck in base building this year. I think I was scared to run all out and then get injured. Course I have to remind myself that I've only been running 3 years. Read your race report, WOW! You're going to have a great marathon. Last LR this weekend?

Bugs

Dave

Yep, last long run this weekend. Although with the way my legs feel, long may be 4 miles. Limping around a bit. Will take a rest day today (lots of walking though) and try again tomorrow. MTA: I will admit to understanding where your husband may be coming from. This marathon stuff is pretty inwardly focused stuff. For many of us, its the one place in our lives where we choose to be that selfish but I do appreciate how it can wear on a spouse. I'm going to have to spoil my wife a bit after this is all over with...

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My legs feel GREAT! I almost always take the day after a race off, but this time I did a 30 min recovery run. Then yesterday I ran for an hour and my legs were quite tired. This morning something magical happened and I feel great. Tuesday nights are workout/date night at the Intertia house, one of my favorite nights of the week. I am going to do a tempo run on the treadmill. Because of my performance on Saturday I get a new VDOT! My tempo runs are going to be just a bit faster than they had been. I feel like I'm going to be trying on new clothes.
                    I will probably leave my wife home for this one. She was annoyed at the last one..mostly because it took me so long and she knew I wasnt trained at all. So, I cant really blame her. She was OK when I told her I wanted to do the full in Columbus, but I think I'll let her sit this one out. Too bad Columbus isnt an option Bugs. Theyve always billed it as flat--although there was a long gradual uphill just after the halfway point for about 4 miles. Theyve flattened the course out, and the weather is usually perfect. I dont know about being brave--im just an idiot. But yeah, if I could just get those base miles in..nothing I can really do about that now for this one. But I think I can be in good shape for Vegas in December. Im not sure of my goal for this race--except to get through it feeling good. Improving my Dayton time should be an easy one. Beyond that, I dont know that anything else would be realistic. If I slow down my pace and avoid cramping I could thoretically flirt with 5 hours. But I havent done that in my first 7. I think when I break 5 hours it will be when Im in great shape--and I will just blow through that barrier and do a 4:20:00-4:30:00
                    evanflein

I'm sorry you're not running your marathon on the 12th. I missed that, thought you were. But you're still running New York City right?
                      Yep my travel plans screwed up the RVM deal, but NYC is a definite GO. We leave on Friday Oct. 31, stay with my niece the first couple of nights, meeting up with some masters runners on Saturday, race Sunday and stay with friends Sunday night, leave Monday early afternoon from LaGuardia. A real quick trip. I'd have scheduled more time if I'd known we could stay with my niece! Otherwise the hotels are too much money for us now.
                      The reviews say it is really hilly, and they describe it as hills from miles 3-8. People say Twin Cities is a difficult course, good grief, it's not just rolling hills. Could you look at the course elevation and tell me what you think? Say, what airport do you usually fly out of?
                      Those aren't hills! Good grief we have overpasses worse than that. You'll do fine. Funny looking loop-de-loop at mile 12, but it looks like it could get very scenic after mile 16 or so. Looks nice, actually. Might have to keep that one in mind if I ever try the "50 state" thing. Murphy, I think the Gallowalking approach would be a good one for you. Keep you from burning up and flaring out too early in the race. A friend of mine who always thought he had to run every step no matter what the cost has had much better times (and recovery afterwards) since he's incorporated planned walk breaks into his marathons. And most people are very surprised when I say I've never NOT walked in any race, even Boston. I think it keeps me in the game for the whole thing.

Bugs

Murphy, I could fly, I have frequent flyer miles, but if one is close by my as well do that. Dgb, I understand DHs grief too, he actually came around to the idea. We agreed first I needed to see how I feel. A friend is considering doing the half in Des Moines so I wouldn't have to go it alone. I tell you though, my TMJ is really bad. I've been told nothing but very soft foods, not even 1 chocolate chip. Sad It goes from jaw, into my neck and shoulders, and sucks worse than running in rain for 2.5 hours. I've feel like somebody punched me in the face. Legs feel good.

Bugs

Ive got to mentally get over the hump with my aversion to Gallowalking. I always struggle with running for an extended period once I do any significant walking. I am kinda getting my arms around kinda reversing the marathon...bear with me here..it just hit me so Im working it out as I type. Typically Im good for 16-18 miles at an 11:30 average pace, and I hang onto an under 5 hour pace up until 19-20 at which point I start going 14-18 minute miles..which is worse than a walk. If I take it REALLY easy for the first 6-8 miles..13-14 minute miles--yes this will include Gallowalking--or very slow jogging..I should still be fresh, and run a faster pace to the finish. There is a long downhill section towards the last few miles that I usually dont take full advantage of. If I hold back early, I think I will be able to be fresh to run the course more efficiently. And it would be cool to pass people for once which I should pretty much guarantee if I start out going 13-14 minute miles. Did quick spreadsheet work. If I run the First 8 at a 13 mm pace, and if that leaves me able to run my race the rest of the way, I will shatter my PR. I guess the key is, will starting with a 13 minute mile prevent the 16-18 minute miles later on?

Dave

I think it will help. The thing on gallowalking is that it prevents you from ever getting your HR up to the point where you start to crash. If you wait until Mile 8 to start doing it, the damage may have already been done (so to speak). I wouldn't focus on 13 minute pace run. I'd focus on 1 minute of walking and 3 minutes of running at an 11 minute pace so that at the end of 12 minutes, you've run for 9 minutes, walked briskly for 3, and covered the mile (I'm sure the math is off but you get the idea).

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Gallowalking absolutely and completely salvaged my last marathon. It turned what should have been a wretched, painful slow experience into a 20 min PR. It still hurt, but had I even tried to run the whole thing, I would have been carted off on a stretcher. That's not really an exageration. Do not fear the Gallowalking. It has its place.
                                Just so Im not one of those Gallowalkers that stops from a dead sprint regardless of who is behind me and how close they are, Im ok with it. Ideally, Id love to run the whole thing..but Ive run enough to know that is not in the cards based on where I am at. Maybe in Vegas. Im really starting to dig the thought of getting through the first 8 by gallowalking and running easy. And then starting to run after that point..tricking my body into thinking Im just starting at mile 1. I also think this will have a mental benefit..If Im struggling at mile 23--its a lot easier to HTFU for 2.2 miles than it is for 8.