Marathon Trainers

10/6-10/12 (Read 276 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

3 today. I feel bad I have nothing to add to this great conversation!
    evanflein

Murphy, do you have time to try it on a long training run? When's this race.... the 19th? Hmmm, you'd have to do it real soon. I think it's worth a try. But Dave is right on with that "damage may already be done" comment. The idea from Jeff Galloway is that you start the scheduled walk breaks before you need them. And no, we're not talking about going from all out sprint to screeching walk right in front of other runners! It also helps to practice the transitions... oddly enough, a lot of people have a hard time going from run to walk and back to run. I practice this on my long runs so it works out ok for me. While I don't "Gallowalk," I do plan walk breaks in my races. I have my favorite (and needed) walk breaks along the Equinox course, and I do them in training, too. Other races, I study the elevation chart and see how it looks. I know my legs well enough to know when they'll need a break. The key is to know you're doing it, plan for it, and stick to the plan (i.e., if you plan on a one minute walk break, don't let it drag into a five minute thing...). This is not to say I don't drop down to a walk sometimes when I just have to do it. That's fine too. Just keep it short and make it accomplish something (meaning, give your legs a break but don't start slacking off!). A friend of mine just did the Portland (OR) Marathon. She stuck with the 4:15 pace group till the very end, then broke off and went on ahead for the last couple of miles with downhill, which she's good at. Her 4:12 time was not a BQ, but she felt good throughout and really liked the having the pacer so she didn't have to worry about it. As she said "Any mile after 20 where I don't feel like crap is like a gift" (or words to that effect) and I think that's soooo true!
        Erica, I do plan on doing the walk/run at the start of the race. I think I commented on running slow. But I plan on run/walking at the start of the race. Basicaly to flip the marathon and do it on my own terms. So, if I do this for about 8 miles (and possibly again over the uphill miles) I will go into my normal run til (hopefully) the finish. If I went with my normal strategy Id run til about mile 18 and crash--I figure--do some walking early to be fresh when I go to straight running..and if I do get to the point where I crash it should be later in the race than normal..and Ill be more likely to suck it up the last 2 miles than if it happened with 8-10 miles to go. My schedule did have a 17 miler this weekend. But thats probably not smart since I decided on the full. Im thinking of doing that run Thursday night as my test. I will run/walk the first 8, and jog the last 9. I'll see how that feels. Im off for my run tonight. Will stick to 4. May run walk a mile or two by feel to see what kind of pace that puts me at.

Bugs

Yep my travel plans screwed up the RVM deal, but NYC is a definite GO. We leave on Friday Oct. 31, stay with my niece the first couple of nights, meeting up with some masters runners on Saturday, race Sunday and stay with friends Sunday night, leave Monday early afternoon from LaGuardia. A real quick trip. I'd have scheduled more time if I'd known we could stay with my niece! Otherwise the hotels are too much money for us now.
          I wish I could fly you here (it's the kind of thing I would do) but if I said to DH, "Hey I'm going to use our FF miles to fly my Iinternet friend from Alaska in so I don't have to run this alone", well he would commit me.
          Those aren't hills! Good grief we have overpasses worse than that. You'll do fine. Funny looking loop-de-loop at mile 12, but it looks like it could get very scenic after mile 16 or so. Looks nice, actually. Might have to keep that one in mind if I ever try the "50 state" thing.
          LOL, I asked Erika, the queen of runnig hills. I like where the hills are positioned. 'If' I do this one it'll be more about having fun, finishing strong, doing two marathons in two weeks without injuring anything. Runner's World says I should wait at least four weeks to do another marathon, else I'm going to get a SF. Sad It's a good thing I didn't over think doing my first marathon, else I would have never done it. I want to see how the weekend goes.

Bugs

Did four miles at a 5/1 run/walk. It was faster than I would have thought - an 11:45 pace. It was comfortable--but I think I need to slow down from that for this to be effective. I will probably do my long run Thursday. And I will probably run/walk the entire way. Figure if thats the race pace of my run/walk, I will try to go that way for 20 miles during my race..and if Im doing well, try to run the rest (that starts the downhill portion). I aso believe that 20+ is bonus time. Any extended period of running after 20 miles is better than what Ive done recently.
            Kimmie

Ran 4.5 miles with my running group tonight. The major debate I had going with everyone was: Should I run 22 miles this weekend, which will be 2 weeks out from my marathon. Pretty much everyone said no. I still kind of want to do it. I asked my running coach ( he coaches the whole group- so not really personal training) His answer was do it if you can take it easy and you think it will give you a boost mentally. Don't do it if you think you won't recover in time.... So, I'm still not sure what I'll do. I'm going to wait and see. Murphy: I know lots of people who have had great success with Gallow walking.
              evanflein

Kimmie, your coach is right. If you can recover from it and be in good shape for your marathon, go for it. Sometimes I think I prefer a two-week taper anyway.... Bugs, that's funny. All of it. BTW, my DH said if we run Des Moines he can find someone to put us up... Well, bottom line is, I'm busy that weekend so can't do it anyway. Rats. Hey, one of these days we WILL run a marathon together, ok?? I ran at lunch today, ate too much tonight. I hate it when we get home late and I get soooo hungry before dinner, so I munch and nibble until dinner is ready and then I get too full! Oy. We had to go vote right after work and then went shopping, so didn't get home till after 6. Now I'm too full, too tired and cranky. Angry

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey, one of these days we WILL run a marathon together, ok??
                  YEAH in 2010!!! Smile Kimmie - I would say if you think you can recover and if you WANT to then do it. If by the end of the week it feels like a daunting chore then cut it down to something that doesn't feel so cumbersome. Murphy - I think Mr. I had to practice with it a little before. I know the key for me is not letting my walk be a leisurely walk. Hi Cash, Brian, Pace, and Mr. I.
                  Kimmie

Thanks you guys. I'm trying to be smart and not stubborn this time. Runners are great people, but we knew that already didn't we? Last night while we were running on the trail, a girl on a bicycle started to come around us.... We were not in her way. And we hear this "Whoa... whoa!" She veered off the path and onto the gravel and fell into the ditch. Of course we stopped and helped her up. One guy in our group ran back to where we started to get his car. Others helped her hobble down to the closest street. She seemed to be dealing with some minor bruises on her leg. The guys in our group told us to continue our run. I felt kind of guilty... a little like... "Yeah, you're ok lady? Because I'm trying to do a tempo run here." So we ended up needing to cut it a little short since it was getting dark, but we still got some faster miles in. So when we got back to the store, I saw the guy who had drove her home and told him how nice he was. He said that she lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and he CARRIED her up three flights of stairs. Hope she's ok today. When I told my DH this story he said "Was she good looking?" Confused What does that have to do with anything? After the run, our running coach gave a seminar on marathon preparation. I almost didn't go since I've run others in the past but I am so glad that I did. I was reminded of some of the basics. Mostly having a very well thought out plan. And he went over the course map and I realized that there is a MAJOR hill on the course that wasn't there the last time I ran it. Dave, do you know about the Reservoir at mile 8? I'm guessing you do. I also asked our coach what I should shoot for... he said sub 4 is definitely possible. Who knows? But it's nice when you hear from someone who knows more than you do. Today's going to be another lunch time run. Have a good day all.

Dave

Kimmie, yes to the hill at mile 8. It was there last time too but we're running it in the opposite direction this year. Last year, when we came off the key bridge we turned right up a steep hill and into a neighborhood before cruising down around the reservoir. This year, its a steady climb out and steep part at the end followed by a fairly quick decent back into Georgetown. Its early enough, and there are some nice flat miles after it, where I'm not too worried. Legs are still seriously pissed off from this weekend's race. May take a second rest day.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Kimmie, I have done a 2 week taper (June 2007), but I really needed it, it was also a PR. Nobby is really against them and honestly I think I prefer a 3 week with the last long run of over 20 miles and very fast or at least progressive. Nobby has his girl for TCM do a three hour very hard run 3 weeks out. So if you have a last LR that is just normal pace or progressive, well maybe that's not much different than what he would suggest. I kind of screwed up this training time, that last LR is really important, plan it carefully. I think you will be under four. Your running group sounds fun. I'd be nervous some stranger carriyng me. Hope he got her phone number for his efforts. Would make a great love story. Erika, Hym, that would be really funny, when DH asked where we are staying, "someone my Internet's DH knows." Yes then he would really think my heads screwed on wrong. As a teenager I use to hang out with lots of rodeo guys (cute butts) and they were dirt poor and always going from town to town. They hitch hiked everywhere and slept anywhere, all for the thrill of eight seconds (most of the time less). I hope this running obsession doesn't turn to that. You must be eating for me too. This dam TMJ, I can't eat anything but soup and ice cream. I should be hungry as all hell this week, but can hardly stomach food. And YES we are going to run together one. Hell ya! Murphy, How many marathons will this be for you? I've had some good luck when it comes to money lately, but I really should spend it on fixing up my house or something wise..maybe the affordable stock market. DH really needs a car. People seem to think it's better to buy stuff. I think it's better to spend money making experiences and on people. So I know it wouldn't phase me to spend money flying to a race, hotels, etc.., but time is always an issue. I do worry about my body breaking down though. I'm going to run at lunch. I'm trying to forget I ran a marathon and just tell myself I ran a LR last weekend.

Bugs

Bugs, this will be marathon 8. Crazy when I think about it. Only started running in Spring 2006. I definately need to take the next step and really lower my time. I think I could be in the low 4's if I trained right. I need to get back to my low weight first. Im about 10-12 lbs over where I ran Vegas in '06.
                            Now this is funny, in a good way. Kimmie, I was just logging in to ask the same questions. We've got a "Mock Marathon" here 2 weeks before the marathon (just an organized run on the same course, run as far as we want) and I was wondering if it was a good idea to do my last 20 that day. For me, it will definitely be an easy pace becaues I need to get used to dad's pace (10:45/mile). So, recovery shouldn't be a problem as I usually recover well from long runs as long as I keep the pace easy. So, all that said, should I try a 20 miler 2 weeks out, or stick to what worked last time and do my last 20 miler 3 weeks out? By the way, I know some of you have hillier marathons that me, but check out the elevation map. Kinda putting us to sleep with a nice flat course, only to punish us with some hills at mile 22 or 23. http://www.route66marathon.com/Participant-Info/course-maps.html
                              Here's the Columbus map/elevation. Not much elevation change. They shortened the uphill--so its flatter than in the past. The first 2 times I ran it--it didnt feel as flat as advertised. http://www.columbusmarathon.com/docs/ColsMar_FS_FNL_9_30.pdf
                              evanflein

Brian, elevation profiles are funny things. Look at the change in ft... from just before 22 to mile 23 you climb about 100 feet. No biggie. It's just setting you up for a nice zip down to the finish! Bugs, I like to spend money on experiences too. But having something leftover to retire on would be nice!