Marathon Trainers

10/6-10/12 (Read 276 times)

Dave

We've got the Rendezvous which is the previous model of this thing. I wouldn't want it with three kids in the back seat but you can put them there in a pinch (probably not 3 baby seats but damn, how fast can you have them). The backrow seat is fine when we're transporting her friends around and it can seat 7. The second row captains chairs are nice but then it only seats 6. If you have that many kids, you can always graduate to a minivan. I ride in a bunch of different cars because I slug to work (google slugging if you're curious). The Toyota minivans probably have the nicest ride as well as the Honda.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

so here is the car story - we both own our cars outright - DH's car has 105,000 (Honda Civic) and I just paid mine off (1/2 through the load -woohoo) so it only has 40,000 (hyndai elantra) and I've got it in 05 . DH's car will probably go first but he's hoping it's still 80,000 off or more. So when it comes time to buy a car we will be buying one that we can run into the ground (as we will with the cars we currently have). My thought to DH was that it should be a minivan. Because we will need room to grow and he will be pissed if we have to buy a second new car before the last of our current cars have died for the purposes of fitting a bigger family. But if we get the minivan (when the first of our cars goes) even if we only have 1 kid at that point then he can drive my car and we will have room to add. Financially this makes the most sense for us because we are "frugal" as i've been instructed to say. MTA: I've heard good things about the Oddesy. AND our neighbors drive an SUV - 3 kids - 4, 2, new... it's funny to watch them get into the car - it has to be done just right or they don't fit!

Dave

Think hard about a slightly used car. Cars are lasting longer and longer (look at DH's) and the only real difference between new and used is price. For $150 you can get it detailed (although if you buy it from a dealer like Carmax they've done that for you) and it'll be like new. Our next one will be about 2 years old when we get it. The great thing about that is that you let someone else take the big initial depreciation and you can feel better about selling it in 5-7 years for another one.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

oh it will definitely be used... my husbands trunk is wired shut because he's too frugal to get it fixed. MTA: 1.35 miles .5 of it was bounding... bounding is probably the worst and best thing i've done... my leg was kaput when I was done... wish I had a stick (Bugs - I don't have time to butter knife and oil)...

Bugs

Shan, Butter Knife does not take more time than the stick, maybe it just sounds too aggresive to you. I've seen and felt graston done so many times it's not a big issue. The stick is just not that effective, it rolls when you need the pressure. I'd prefer a piece of PVC pipe than the stick. One think I've noticed is type of oil makes a difference, my favorite is Arnica oil which has some healing properties to it. Also, you maybe just as well massaging your legs with ice. DH will drive the minivan, he wanted the extra room for trips, I like cars. I drive a sharp looking silver Intrigue with sun roof...I just love it, he can drive the boat. 6 miles easy today. Legs felt good during running, then I did yoga and now they seem tired. I think an ice soaking might be in order.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I more meant I don't have time for oil LOL!! And yeah I was thinking like a pipe... I might go out tomorrow and buy a piece. I would use my rolling pin - except I actually bake with it and that weird's me out!
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

45 min recovery run this morning 2nd week with 5x per week. Next week is going to be esier. I'm definitely feeling this one.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - how are you liking running 5x/week? It's good that you are varying your paces to suit your leg's.

Bugs

Last night my lower legs simly ached. Not a muscle good kind of sore, a oh you dumb looser you feel like you're 70 years older sick of this crap pain. Running 26.2 on Sunday feels too soon.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm... i wish i had some good advice to offer you on how to get your legs to come around... Have you tried a nice hot shower or bath?

Bugs

Ice feels the best. I would be soaking them now but my relatives are here and they already thing my running takes too high of a toil on my body. They think all my jaw problems are because of running. Ugh, non runners have TMJ too. So anyway when they leave maybe I'll soak them. The thing is exercise is really important to me, and I don't want to do anything stupid.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

And you have come such a long way since your injury. I know how hard it is to back out of a race (believe me I'm still regretting my decision), but we have to do what's best to ensure that we are able to run (or exercise) for the rest of our life because you are right it is too big a part of who we are to not have it anymore. So I say you relax - maybe take a day or two off to be kind to your legs and then just see how you feel. And if it doesn't feel good then don't do it. MTA: I'm lookin at your log - do you have a duplicate entry??

Dave

Hope your legs feel better Bugs. To normal (fat) people, we all look crazy. I ran by two Bob Evans restaurants on my long run this morning. Very few marathoners walking into the door of that place Tongue Did a hard 3.8 last night (my shortest regular route around my house). Pushed hard to finish under 30 minutes. Probably not too bright but I wanted to test my legs just a bit. No issues. Finished 17 this AM at an 8:25 pace. I am befuddled on what to try to run in terms of marathon pace at this point. I ran pretty comfortably (low 140's HR) at 8:30 pace but part of me thinks that I can go faster and still hold it together. I didn't do as well today. Got weary and slowed down after some hills around miles 10-12 and then had to back off the pace at mile 14-15. Finished strong though. Cold shower on the legs right after and they felt pretty good. Taper starts today. Any idea what one of those looks like? Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - could you maybe aim 8:30 for the first half and then if you have some left pick up the pace for the back half?? That way you have a better shot of not falling apart in the first 14 due to pushing it?
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Mr. I - how are you liking running 5x/week? It's good that you are varying your paces to suit your leg's.
                                It's an adjustment, that's for sure. Right now I've got a good schedule and only have to wake up at 4:15 once or twice so it isn't too bad. Yes, varying intensities helps a lot. It would be tougher (and not as fun)if they were all monotonous miles. Ok, I did 31 miles last week, a pretty good start. My plan is to build on that through december. Whatever my average mileage is when December hits, I'm going to stay there through december and the first half of January. When the second half of Jan rolls around I'll have 6 solid weeks of base mileage to start Spring training.