Marathon Trainers

9/29-10/5 (Read 319 times)

Bugs

My only experiences with the great state of Minnesota is a wedding in Minneapolis and Grandmas Marathon in 05, which I loved. What # marathon is this for you, Bugs?
    It's marathon #3. Grandma's is great. Very cool you ran it.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - the only problem is that I sometimes change the screen and sneak a peek hahaha Kimmie - way to listen to yourself!
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Dave - the only problem is that I sometimes change the screen and sneak a peek hahaha
        When I race on saturday I'm going to put duct tape over it.

Bugs

Kimmie, Actually I have been thinking of coming to Virgina sometime. I have a neice that lives somewhere there (she's army girl so I forget actually where.) I just need to find the right race that is worth the plane ticket and fit into the rest of my running season. Inertia, How about no watch? Somebody will else will have a garmin and you can get course distance from them. The reason I say no watch is you should be able to guage your pace by effort, and most of your energy (mental and physical) should be on running hard - make it hurt. Here is my strategy that works well for 5Ks that are flat and fast. First mile hold just a little back, but breath hard. Second mile, push like it's your last mile. This is the mile that 5Ks are won. It's a mentally tough mile, most people get slower this mile. Last mile, sprint to the finish. Be prepared to vomit. {{BUT}} this strategy works better when you've got lots of miles in the books, easier to sprint 3.1 miles when your LR is 20 miles, so never mind, maybe just stick with your plan.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

When I race on saturday I'm going to put duct tape over it.
            ohh that is smart!
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Inertia, How about no watch? Somebody will else will have a garmin and you can get course distance from them. The reason I say no watch is you should be able to guage your pace by effort, and most of your energy (mental and physical) should be on running hard - make it hurt. Here is my strategy that works well for 5Ks that are flat and fast. First mile hold just a little back, but breath hard. Second mile, push like it's your last mile. This is the mile that 5Ks are won. It's a mentally tough mile, most people get slower this mile. Last mile, sprint to the finish. Be prepared to vomit. {{BUT}} this strategy works better when you've got lots of miles in the books, easier to sprint 3.1 miles when your LR is 20 miles, so never mind, maybe just stick with your plan.
              I'd like to wear it to record the race, I can check afterwards how my splits were, etc. That's actually a pretty good strategy you've outlined. I consider any race that precedes vomiting a success. I don't have much mileage right now, but I've been doing tempo runs pretty consistently so I am hoping that I'll be able to tolerate the discomfort.
              evanflein

Ah, the Run Till You Puke strategy (or RTYP for short). Always a classic. I told someone I ran hard up the hill then walked when I couldn't run anymore when training for Equinox. He said "Oh I get it, RTYP, then walk it off!" Heh, I thought of that a few times when I was going up the hill and it made me smile. Hey Dave... I bought several shares of Apple when it was $13...still have 'em. Smile When I ran the Christmas marathon in Olympia last December, I forgot my Garmin at home. Almost felt panicked at the idea of running without it. But I borrowed DH's watch with a stopwatch feature and just tracked elapsed time and watched for mile markers. I actually did pretty well, finished in 3:53:40 (this was three weeks after the Seattle marathon). So, it is possible... but I wouldn't want to run without knowing time at all... Brought my running stuff to work for a lunchtime run. It's warmer today than yesterday, but might snow this afternoon. Just an inch expected if anything, but I still have work to do outside so I hope it holds off!!

Bugs

Erika, Snow? Yuck Inerita, I gave that advice once to someone who runs much less than me and it didn't not work for them AT ALL. So use at your own risk. I think most people have the ability to run 5Ks much faster than they do. Listen to the breathing of those that win, sounds like they are going to die. I feel so pumped. I just want to run, and I will three miles easy tonight. I have a slight stuffy nose. DH and kids have been coughing and sneezing and don't look well at all. Kids I can't avoid, but DH who decides to cuddle in bed just plain ticks me off.

Bugs

Bugs

I updated my first post on this thread with my race goal. Thought it was easier if it was all together. I'm begging my DH to restore my old computer because my garmin files are there and I want to study my splits from last time. Little OCD these days. Smile

Bugs

Dave

Army 10 Miler, Sunday 5 October. You can update it and clean up the first post. OCD away. Listened to my body today (it had a mouth like a sailor) and cut back to 6 instead of 8. Great run about 3 minutes slower than the same route yesterday. I sure wish I would've gotten in at 13 on Apple Wink Hard to believe you've already got snow. Even in Wyoming where I was skiing this past winter it is still in the 70's.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

6 miles in 51 minutes, 8:30 avg pace. Cool. I like nice even numbers like that (no stray seconds). The run felt hard for the first half (gentle uphill most of the way). My back hurt and my shins felt tight, probably from all the tromping around in the garden... bending, stooping, squats, shoveling, lifting. Ugh. I sure felt it today. Chilly at first but warmed up just right... seems I have to "relearn" this winter running thing every year. And yeah, this is a little early for snow, but there's not much... just what didn't melt in the direct sun on Sunday and yesterday. But there is ice. These transition times are hard. Bugs, good goals. I think you'll hit #3.

Dave

Bugs, couple of added thoughts. You are going to crush that PR. I'm betting that you beat it by 5 minutes. You've done some much hard work this summer. Looks like you're either being coached by Nobby or having an affair with him. Not entirely sure from the threads on the main board Big grin Rubbing shoulders with greatness between Nobby and Greg McMillan.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

geez I hardly ever check out the other threads on this forum. I'm obviously missing out on something...!

Dave

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Here it is. Judge for yourself: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/5b8b48323e154475b9e87e71d5ca4612#focus
                                What happens on RunningAhead stays on Runningahead. 5 Awesome miles tonight. Weather finally broke. Low 60's. Decided on making this a tempo run. 1st mile under 9 mm. 2nd 2 under 10 mm. last 2 under 10:30. My legs were burning a bit, but in a good way. I really think I need to work on pushing off when I run to give my legs good workouts. Normally, I always shuffle..I feel way more efficient when I really push through my stride--if that makes sense. Now I need to get comfortable with an in between pace while running more efficiently. Today was my 5th straight day running--started streaking just to get me some motivation to keep at it. It got me out 2 days when I probably would have skipped otherwise.