Marathon Trainers

7/7 - 7/13 (Read 149 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

5.02 easy miles. Back half was in the pouring rain - man I love that!!

Dave

Rain runs can be absolutely awesome. 5 miles for me as well. Intended them to be easy miles but with the heat and humidity, I ended up running a bit faster than intended to get it over with. Bugs, when is your next marathon? (just curious since you went so long this weekend)

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hey all. I suk. Need to basically start from scratch and shake my laziness bug. So the 11 week training program starts today. And, really thats about where I was last year even though I was training for Columbus in October--I decided to run in the Air Force marathon--which I am doing this year. The AFM was my best marathon last year and 2nd best of my 6. So, I think I will be able to do well. In the past Ive been able to get back up to speed and feeling good after 2-3 weeks of good running. Hopefully my old body will be able to respond. I also am motivated to beat my old college roommate who I was consistantly faster than until the Flying Pig Half about 2 months ago. Dayton will be his first marathon...so I cant bail on him. REALLY I am focussed on Vegas in December--a decent run in Dayton will be good mentally for Vegas. My dad is flying out to see me compete in this one..That will be the first marathon of mine he's attended--so I have real special motivation to kick ass in that one. Also may have talked my wife's cousin into running that one with me. He's recently taken up running and is doing a tri this month. He's much more athletic than me and will proabably kick my ass if he does the full. But, again, that is great motivation for me to do well there.

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey Murphy!!! Glad to hear you are still around and still running! Sounds like you've got some good goals! I think it is always more motivating if someone is doing the race with you or at least doing a race at the same time. I hope the program stars off good and hopefully will get you back here and posting more often!

Bugs

Bugs, when is your next marathon? (just curious since you went so long this weekend)
            Oct 5. I've only been letting myself run to 17, and have ran that distance so many times it was getting a little boring. I know I wouldn't need to run more than I am to make my marathon goal, but I'm handly my current miles so nicely, seem very healthy, and still got 90 days till M-day. Murphy, Think you are brave going after that many marathons. I am toying with the idea of Fargo in May and Grandmas in June. Shsh, don't tell DH think he'll roll his eyes at the idea. Shan, So why are you struggling to get your running in? Cash, Trust me, I'm plenty 'thick' enough to loose 5 pounds. I don't seem to try very hard. Infact I'm pist to be at Grandma's house and there's no flippin cookies made. What the hell? Today would normally be XTing, but since I am at inlaws there is not much for XTing to do. The morning was perfect running weather, but my stomach was not into it. Now it is 20 mph wind, and running looks like it would suck, but had head out yet. When I grew up in ND use to make me mad when the MN people would say we had no trees. Now that I live in MN and visit ND, I agree. I could never go back to living here. My back was missing my foam roller. I bought a paint roller (semi-smooth) to get me through the week. Smile

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I might need to a try a roller. My IT's are tightening up - probably because of my calves. However, they only seem to bother me when sitting on the couch - not when running... maybe I need to get off the couch! Bugs - I think it's all mental. Now I will be doing them alone, the place i want to run hurt my knees (actually I believe that was all coincidental otherwise I wouldn't be going back). I think if I can get myself there on Thursday and get through the run then I will feel better about it all.
                Bugs-glad to hear you are getting in some miles--guess the health issues are behind you? Shan-saw you ran a half--awesome!!!! belated Congrats!!! My 2 planned marathons this year is a significant decrease from the 4 last year. And, I like the 2-1/2 months between the two. I had less than 2 months between my first two ever in 2006 (Columbus and Vegas) and Vegas is still my PR and it was probably the toughest conditions of my 5 marathons so far. Gonna skip Columbus this year--or may do the half marathon as a training run.

Dave

Welcome back, Murph. Great to see you posting again. You've got your work cut out for you with the two fall marathons. I'm just running the USMC and I kicked off my 18 week schedule 2 weeks ago. Shan, try to remember that you're making steady progress. Every month this year you've had progressively higher mileage and you're on track to exceed June's total in July. A few months ago, 5 miles was your long run, now its mid-week "easy miles" Wink Bugs, sounds like you'll at least get your runs in at the inlaws. Probably nice, cool weather, right? Tomorrow's schedule calls for 400M repeats but I think I'll be asking for trouble if I do that. My legs are feeling pretty beat up after two good runs. May crosstrain or go out for an easy 3 or 4. I'm flying out to the west coast this weekend for my father's 70th birthday party (surprise). I'll be all jet lagged so I'll plan on running early in the morning (5AM or so). Then redeying back Sunday night. Don't think it will interrupt training hopefully.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

. Murphy, Think you are brave going after that many marathons. I am toying with the idea of Fargo in May and Grandmas in June. Shsh, don't tell DH think he'll roll his eyes at the idea. quote> Methinks Bugs is aiming for a Marathon Maniacs singlet, just like Erika.
                    Cashmason

2200 meters in the fishbowl. I am gonna be sneezing all night long with this slight allergy to chlorine.

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - Thanks!!! Big grin Dave - thank you! I do think I tend to forget that! I hope you have a nice trip and your father has a nice surprise!

Bugs

Shan, Well that excuse will not do. When you have a tough time getting yourself out to run just ask what Erika or Bugs do? Murphy, Yup, I currently have a clean bill of health. Docs must have got that vacation home paid for and not need more of my money. Smile Cash, You are so wrong. I'd love to be a maniac, but not sure if my body would be able to make it. I am a social runner, and some friends want to run one and some the other. When I first read your post I thought you wanted to run Fargo too. LOL I'd recommend TCM or Grandmas first. Dgb, I've got three baby sitters, can run whenever I want and temps are in the 70s. So no, not too bad for a vacation, but glad I don't leave here, and could have easily been the case. OK peeps, this group is lacking in that we have nether an Advance Code of Conduct or Ten Commandments. Oh we have to have both just to add confussion. So lets start with the commandments... 1. Runner shall not eat less than two hours before running. (Got burned by this bad tonight, and quit my easy run at 3 miles.) Yuck burbed brocolli slaw for two hours - HTFU! Next poster gets decide #2. (I know it will be Shan.)

Bugs

Went 4 miles today...damn was it hot!! Brought some water. But the combination of getting over a cold, the heat, and not having run in a month made it tough--but I made it with just a bit of walking to take in some water. and bugs, you were wrong--im the next poster, but Im too tired to be creative..so I'll leave it to Shan for #2.

Dave

#2 Thou shalt run thy slow runs slow and thy fast runs fast. Run with a purpose. I break this one WAY too often.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - yeah for your 4 miles! hmm #3 Don't eat the paste - it leads to injury!