Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/20 - 1/27 2008 (Read 345 times)

Bugs

HuskerB, Expect to become addicted. Yes Cash, Have done protein powder before, I suppose I could go back to that. I'd much rather eat real food. The Zone used to say that your body doesn't get the protein out of the nuts, and that doesn't count - not sure if it's true. Shan, Good idea on the flax-seed I've got some and I should be using it. Murphy, Great job on the weight loss. Oh I am trying to loose a few, and am down 3. I'm not a healthier dieter. If I wanted to loose weight I could, but I get sort-of nuts about it. I'm trying to stay at 1500 calories right now, boy that seems like a lot because I used to go down to 1000.

Bugs

Cashmason

Welcome Brian! Erika is traveling today. Back to Alaska. After her race, she and hubby went to Catalina Island. Her only internet connection was on the hotel roof deck, in the dark. Then they were off to Vegas for a business confrence. So we should see her report sometime after she recovers from the travel. Marathon movie tonight.

Oh Mighty Wing

cash - it's a good thing you know what is going on with Erica! I lost track in all the traveling!! OMG that movie made me want to go run a marathon!!! It was also really cool I saw one of my dad's really good friends there. He told me qualified for Boston but might not get to run it because his doc told him he could but he would head straight into hip replacement. I said to him - ok but it's Boston!! (I'm sure he was cursing my naive youth!)
          I was going to goto the movie, but when I tried to get a ticket earlier this week it was sold out. Tickets for the encore go on sale tomorrow, should I go? Just wondering what everyone thought of it. 4 easy miles for me tonight. 26 degrees made it pretty easy to keep the HR down, which was the goal.
            Just finished my 6 miles. After watching the movie--how could I bail? 17 degrees but luckily the wind wasnt so bad. The movie was very good. Worthwhile imo. Deena Kastor is my co-workers cousin. Had no idea until this week. Get tickets for the encore. For $10, you cant go wrong. My wife thought it boring, but she's not a runner--yet. I cant imagine a runner--especially a marathoner not enjoying the movie. Tomorrow rest--meeting my training partner for 11 Saturday. That will make it a 29 mile week.
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

HuskerB, yes, go see the movie. Very good, very inspirational. Covers a broad range of runners from people you can relate to to people so far beyond you you can just look and say "Wow!" Bugs, I'd never heard that nuts won't give up their protein. I rely primarily on legumes for protein, but nuts support that role. Besides, any excuse to eat peanut butter... Did 4 recovery miles on the TM this morning. I'm thinking I'm not even gonna bother trying to run outside tomorrow, I'm just gonna resign myself to the treadmill. I'm a weather wimp; I can accept that. As long as I get my runs in, I don't think that title will haunt me too badly.

Dave

Weather wimp, meet a treadmill wimp. I can't bring myself to run on the treadmill. Strange. Big thumbs up on the oatmeal recipe. Enjoyed it this morning. I'm thinking about adding some chopped apples next time. Maybe eliminating the ground cloves. Also adding sugar. Our crock pot must have some sort of a thermostat issue. Even on low, it seems too hot for the recipe. We had to add about an extra 2 cups of water but it did turn out great. Especially liked the little bit of extra flavor from the toasting. Getting ready for an 8 miler around capitol hill today. Might be closer to 9 with the construction. Great work on the mileage, Murph. 29 miles is a great week no matter how you slice it. Brian, I noticed that you're in the 1500 mile club as well. Something about that bunny is inspiring. I'm on track for my best month ever. Easy miles to all. Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Had a blast at the movie. My favorite part was being in the theater with all my running friends. You put that many women together high on their own endorphins, happy to be in their skinny jeans eating buttered popcorn you have to have a good time. Recommend all to rent, it has some good humor parts in it, and several work their way through injuries. The movie covers a broad range of types of runners but none are the stero-typical runner; skinny to the bone, 5'10" 150 pound male running 100 mpw. Love Deena Kastor so much. Dgb, I use to do oatmeal everyday, and should get back doing that. (As much as the Zone Diet is critized I think it is the perfect diet for an athlete.) This is going to sound weird, but add lowfat cottage cheese to your oatmeal. It gives it a cream-of-wheat taste. Top with cinnamon. DS1 is sick, so TM today, but gives me time for a core-workout. Doing my calf stretches and feet exercises. Legs feel good. I'm running a 4 mile race on Sunday for fun.

Bugs

Brian, I noticed that you're in the 1500 mile club as well. Something about that bunny is inspiring. I'm on track for my best month ever.
                    Ya, Not sure about getting to 1500 this year. I signed up because it is motivating to see the bunny in front of you a ways. I'd be pretty excited to hit that goal. Right after my long runs I get pretty close, but then fall back during the week, and especially after rest days. Staying healthy will be the key. -Brian

Bugs

Man those pace groups sound fun but don't know I dare, being competive enough with myself is never an issue. But I am cheering you guys on.

Bugs

Happy Camper

TGIF to all! Missed the movie last night. It sold out here which is great. Hope it is available on dvd at some point. Should be good conversation during the group run tomorrow. I'm shooting for back-to-back long-runs this weekend again. Saturday should be easy with the group effort. It took me until Wednesday to get over the fatigue from last weeks effort. I will eat during the run Sunday to see how it effects me. Think I'll try some m&m's. I also have some wierd muscle pain. I fell on some ice Tuesday and thought I had bruised my backside. Now I think it is just some tight muscle back there. Starts in my left glute, left rear upper leg and then the back underneath side of my left heel. I can still run but it changes my stride and how my left foot lands. I rested yesterday and didn't feel improvement this morning so I will just keep running.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

P2R, M&MS? Oh my, bring toilet paper.

Bugs

evanflein

Hi guys... I'm back at work. Glad Cash could keep you all apprised of my whereabouts. Carlsbad was fun, Catalina was wonderful, Vegas was Vegas (ick). Full race report is almost done (yes, it's long...!) and will be posted today sometime. BUT, can't resist giving you all a preview, dinner on Friday was a lot of fun, but the highlight really was this... It's really good to be home, even with the crappy weather. Couldn't run in Vegas because I wouldn't pay $25 to run on the stoopid hotel treadmill (I just wanted to run on it, not make a payment!!), so I did a lot of walking and cross training. Day after the marathon DH and I hiked/ran 4 miles up a 10% grade from Avalon to the East Summit on Catalina Island. Awesome views... amazing workout! Interesting post-marathon recovery plan, but it was fun. Bugs, how cool... Angus Queen from 1988! I love it. Glad to hear you got some good news from the doc and are cleared to run. P2R, you are cranking out amazing mileage. I know you're careful, but I'll say it again anyway: be careful! Even us neutral runners get hurt! (but you are definitely cut from some sturdy stock) Hi Brian! Post often to let us know how your Nebraska training is going. Murphy, sub 4:30... I know you've got it in you. Just gotta find the right combination of training/tapering/weather/good course to drag it out of you! Hi Shan! Good running, girl. Like Bugs says... get over the motivation issues and RUN! It's a gift, don't waste it. And yes, there'll come a day you look forward to those business trips.... Mine used to do them all the time and I loved the "me time" I got, even with the kids in the house! Hi Dave!
                              welcome back Erica!! Glad you arent in The Monte Carlo today. I see its burning Surprised Ive joined both the 1000 and 1500 mile groups. If I stay healthy and train properly for both my marathons, I will surpass the 1500 miles. No way I would get to 2000 though. And enough can happen that I know I cant assume I'll hit the 1500--although that is my official mileage goal.

Oh Mighty Wing

Hi Erica!! I DID 10 MILES TODAY!!!!!!! Had my TP for the first 6. We ran very slow and walked some averaged between 12-13 min/mile then she stopped and i was cut loose for the last 4. Did them between 10:15 - 10:45. SO GO ME!!! I think that was the mental hump i needed. Good running to you all!! oh i'm sore on inside of my big toe. what's up with that??