Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/28 (Read 320 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - great story about you and your husband.  I write worship music and led worship at our church for 7 years while youth pastoring before launching out on the speaking circuit.  It is definitely one of my passions and I love the times that I get to lead crowds in it.  It doesn't work out everywhere I speak, but when it does, I am in heaven.

Well, I got in 8 miles today.  I woke up very tired so it took me a bit longer to get out the door, but the run went well.  I used the last mile as a sprint and felt good at the end.

Who all is racing this week-end?  I can't ever keep track.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice 8, TY -- good to get out the door.

Kimmie - I don't drink wine much, PDR does more, but I generally don't drink the beer after a marathon anyway -- it's usually crap.  Time goals?  Not sure -- PDR is thinking of seeing how she feels as she's worried about BQing for 2011 (4:05).  I'm not as worried and we have more opportunities coming, so I may go for about 3:35 (BQ) or may not.  I guess I'll start and see how it goes.  More important is to be able to run in two weeks again.  I definitely won't try to PR.

Re: piano - I started teaching myself quite a while ago but didn't have enough time in the day.  I'll do that again when I retire Smile.  Maybe even get lessons.  I played the guitar when I was younger, and I'll pick that up again.  Maybe the sax, too.  I love playing music and am looking forward to having the time to do it again some day.  (My voice, on the other hand, isn't so "smooth", shall we say Wink)

Oh, and Freedom Run -- we looked at that for the marathon but the few and far between water stops scared us off.  That is not nearly as important for a half, so you should have a great time.  If you can, I'm interested in your impressions on how it would have been as a marathon. 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Yes Lou, the beer at the end is always crap, and they want to card you for it anyway. Who runs with their ID?? I think you guys will do great at Wineglass! You are primed to run a really good race, and I think PDR might surprise herself.

Kimmie, I'd rock that downhill (but then again, I love me some downhill running!), and tackle the hill at the end with all you've got. The steep uphill is only a half mile, then it gets more gradual to the end. Gotta admit, the uphill finish kind of sucks... the full marathon has a downhill finish. Nice for a good kick. Good luck with it, and I'm sure you'll do better than last year. Running when you're sick is hard (I remember that from last year, felt bad for you!).

Pam, you should take Frankie in; he's had that fever for a long time. Whatever he's got, he's having a hard time shaking it off.

Jelly, what'cha racing this weekend?

We need a better upcoming races thread. Maybe start a new one, and everyone replies with what their races are, and the person who started the thread makes the updates? That way, the schedule is always at the beginning. (Lou, like Ilene's Intrepid Racers thread) What would everyone think of that? I like knowing what folks are running... just nosy I guess.

Oh Mighty Wing

pick me pick me!!! I can be in charge of such a thing!!! Big grin

MTA: oh and I have another 5k.

pick me pick me!!! I can be in charge of such a thing!!! Big grin

MTA: oh and I have another 5k.

ding-ding-ding-ding-ding

We have a winner!

Start the thread with what's there, and someone who can will make it sticky (and remove the other one, I guess)

MTA: hold the presses!  You already own the current sticky thread.  I'd say just update the top with what is in the bottom.  Check for updates periodically and make changes.  (my $0.02)

evanflein

Cool, that works. But yeah, maybe should start another one? I don't know how to make a stickie (that sounds really weird).

Oh Mighty Wing

I was SSSSSOOOO way ahead of you guys!!!!
                theyapper

On the road again...

I like Jelly even more now.  Of course, it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with my 1 race.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cool, that works. But yeah, maybe should start another one? I don't know how to make a stickie (that sounds really weird).

If you make me an admin, I'll figure it out.

But I can't promise anything soon -- I might be busy for the next couple of days.

Erika when I realized that today was the 7th day he's had a fever I took him right into the clinic where I was referred to the ER. Instead of the ER I took him to Emergi care which is more like an urgent care. The doctor didn't seem to think it was pneumonia however he took xrays anyway. Well you guessed it he's got Pneumonia Sad  and from the x-rays a good case of it too Sad  Other than his coughing today you would never even think he was sick. He woke up in a great mood with lots of energy. I feel like crap for waiting Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I'm running the Brooksie Way HM this weekend with Jhallum and Rvelich.

I won't call it racing since I'm not anticipating a very good showing.  I'll be super happy if I can finish it without serious problems.

Back on the road right after the race with another flight to DC and then in DC for work through Wednesday.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I won't be running tonight. I'm too worried about Frankie to even think about going out. He had some weird chest pain and heart palpitations earlier. Doctor says if it happens again to bring him right into the ER. I HATE when my kids are sick Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

oh Pam i'm so sorry!

Dave

Hope he feels better, Pam.  We'll keep him in our prayers.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

So sorry Pam... just know that a fever that long = something icky brewing. I sure hope he gets better soon. He's on meds now, right? If it's bacterial pneumonia, antibiotics can clear things up pretty well. Good to keep a close watch on him.

{{Frankie}} {{distraught mom}}

Skipped a run, even though it's so perfect out there today for running! That was hard... but you know, that discretion being the better part of valor thing and all. Hmph.

15 minutes on the elliptical followed by 22 minutes of crunches, planks, bridges and other assorted core crap.

Tomorrow I run, even though the weather won't be nearly this nice.