Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-30 (Read 351 times)

evanflein

When I ran the relay in AZ, we were in the last starting group. I didn't fully understand what that meant until later when one of the guys at the exchanges asked when we started. I said 5 pm and he said "Oh, wow, you're one of the faster teams then!" That was kind of cool. I want to do more "fun stuff" with my running. Sort of wish I lived somewhere closer to "all the action." Cash, actually, we have a flat roof garage that sort of serves as our deck. That's the roof he does his thing from. Right in view of the kitchen window. Lovely. 45 minutes of pool running tonight. I had the deep end, 4 lanes across pretty much all to myself. Water aerobics was going on in the shallow end, but they blocked off the entire 4 lanes for it. Two lanes left open for lap swim, and each had swimmers. So, I strapped on my belt and did laps (loops?) around the deep end, including about 9 at a faster harder effort, with a "recovery" lap after each. That water aerobics class is kind of funny, and scary. They play pretty good music (the teacher is a past women's masters fitness champ for the State and I think some regional competitions, Sheila Bratten I think) but it makes me wonder what the water displacement factor is for that group... Oy. I always finish with a couple laps of my lame breaststroke, if only to prove to the snickering young men in the hot tub that yes, I CAN swim! My foot sure likes that pool running. I end with a few minutes of holding it under one of the stronger vents at the end of the pool... sort of a water massage thing, felt good.
    Cashmason

4 miles tonight on the treadmill after teaching cycle. Thought about swimming afterwards, but just not much energy. I have been cutting back on the calories in the succesful attempt to lose weight, but just doesnt leave much energy for going beyond an hour or hour and a half work outs. First time doing 7 pull ups, and after running and cycling ( usually I do fewer pull ups after exercising).
        Cutting calories is a great way to lose weight. Before I started running, I lost 20 pounds just by cutting calories. How fast are you losing the weight? Maybe if "too" fast, a happy medium can be met by splitting the difference on the calories, giving you more energy for the workouts. 7.1 miles, 57:14, 8:01/mi, AHR 153 (78% MHR) including 8x20sec striders

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Thanks for the accolades. Um, it's time to cut back. Often when I run on the TM I use the random setting, level 5 (out of 20). It's pretty easy, but gives me a little more effort during a medium run. Yesterday I bumped it up to level 7 since I've been running so strongly. There's a big effin difference! So this morning when I was doing my intervals, I bagged it during the first one. After the tough hill workout yesterday, 5k race pace intervals are not gonna happen. I thought about pushing through, but enough is enough. So, this week no speedwork and a slight reduction in mileage, including one day off. Next week I'll hammer it.
          Kimmie

Mr. I- sounds like you're paying attention to how you feel and adjusting accordingly. Had a nice 6.5 miles with some hills thrown in. 59 and sunny outside- felt warmer than that. Thinking about Bugs' family and friends in Fargo.

Bugs

GOOD WORK INERTIA! That rest is important too. Family is Fargo is doing good. Boy they've had it rough though. They just got done sandbagging and a blizzard hit. Those in Fargo have been shut-down from work and school for two weeks. They initially shut-down so that sand trucks could get to the dikes without traffic issues, and so that all able bodied people could help sandbag. Now they are shutdown because of blizzard. Makes weather in Alaska sound inviting. I'm having health issues again. Last two days just climbing the stairs is a workout. I'm not really sick-sick, but have a slight fever and dragging my body. It just feels like a bad bug but I can't break away from it. It's moved beyond a "I can't run frustration" to a chronic "I'm getting tired of pulling myself through the day." I don't really want to go back to doctor, as it seems they never find anything. So I think I will have to just deal with the hand dealt me and rest and see what happens. Sorry I can't report back with a great run.

Bugs

evanflein

Makes weather in Alaska sound inviting.
                Heh, that's what I was thinking! Makes my whining about the new snow on the road making my running difficult sound downright snivelly. (is that a word?) I sure hope you can kick whatever it is that has you by the tail. Such a drag to be sick or just feeling poorly for so long! More pool running for me tonight. I was thinking of trying a run, but there's nothing really to be gained by that (not even making a PR month... I'd need a 12 miler to do that!) so I bagged up March and put it in the books at 214.3 miles. 600.9 YTD. I think that's ahead of where I was last year at the end of March, but my month was 226 last year.

Bugs

Erika, Are you pooling running because your foot hurts or just as a preventive matter? I emailed doc, and we're going to try a new medicine. Glad to be trying something.

Bugs

I emailed doc, and we're going to try a new medicine. Glad to be trying something.
                    Good news -- best part is that your doctor is so accessible.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I'm pool running to keep some semblance of running up while I recover from whatever funk I'm in. Running on the roads or treadmill has no appeal to me now. None whatsoever. I'm feeling like if I never run again, that's just fine with me. My hip is sore, but better than it was. My foot is sore, but not anywhere near as bad as it was late October. I'm tired. I'm grouchy. I'm just pissed at everything. So, into the pool I go. It's good for me. Really. (and I think what I really really need is springtime and no more snow... I'm so tired of slipping and staggering around on the snow and ice I could puke. I think that's the real source of the problem.)

Bugs

Good news -- best part is that your doctor is so accessible.
                        He is a friend, fellow runner, works with my husband and values a working computer, and I saw him last week. But yes, I was really nice for him to help me via email. Erika, That's how I feel about me being sick. If I could just bake in the sun I'd feel better. Hopefully you have good weather for Boston, not just for the race but to get a break from the weather. Snowing here today, it won't last long.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Push ups and 8 this morning. 4 Advil this evening. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

I couldn't help myself... 7.5 miles today, nice and easy. Total for March was 100.1 miles. Not my highest month total (133 something last November), but I've now topped 100 4 of the last 6 months. Thankfully, my body seems comfortable at this volume.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Congrats Yapper! I ended up at 80 something..im ok with that since I didnt run until March 14. I was short on time tonight..DW wanted me to pick up pizza, and I would have felt bad making a pregnant woman wait 2-1/2 hours. So I moved my tempo run to tonight - which was probably smart since I had fresh legs taking yesterday off. Went about 1:45 mm faster than my long run. I will go longish tomorrow. Erika, Im sure spring will cure all. I imagine Winter in Alaska would be tough. Its bad enough here. I am getting nervous about my marathon. Wish I would have found my motivation about 1 month earlier. Not sure I will be up to the long run stamina that I'd like.

Bugs

tyap, good job on the 100+ miles for the month. You are right on track for a great fall marathon. It's your first right? murphy, don't look back only forward. You also seem to really improve when you run those marathons one month apart. Maybe you need to find one in June but keep running in between them this time. P2R, You need to wash down those advil with beer. Helps the aches. Hope you're right about tomorrow.

Bugs