Connecticut Runners

2016 Racing Thread (Read 14 times)

Good job Kevin.  Too crowded and I didn't know how to find you... Perfect weather but it seems I am not in a good shape.

It was extremely crowded. I think we were probably standing right near each other at the start, but it was packed like sardines up there. Never been so crushed in the start of a 5k. Was two-three rows back of the line and still took 2 full seconds to cross.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

Well, not my best effort. 16:56 and third old guy. Was fun to meet the guys and girls on the team though. Missed yond and mike too!

not that it makes a big difference, but 16:54 chip time

Not your best but still damn good!  Nice job on the placement.

I'm doing the O'Putnam 5K this Sunday.  I don't know what to expect and it's driving me nuts.

<3

I'm doing the O'Putnam 5K this Sunday.  I don't know what to expect and it's driving me nuts.

What to expect: pain & suffering (but definitely less than 15 mins - the first 5 are relatively pain free). Then relief. Then regret. Then acceptance. Then resolution. And the vicious circle can begin again.

Seriously though, you've been running well. Expect a strong race.

delicate flower

What to expect: pain & suffering (but definitely less than 15 mins - the first 5 are relatively pain free). Then relief. Then regret. Then acceptance. Then resolution. And the vicious circle can begin again.

Seriously though, you've been running well. Expect a strong race.

I am bracing myself for this.  There is nothing like standing at the starting line of a 5K, knowing the suck you are about to experience.

<3

Lane

This spring, I'm running the HM in Middletown (4/3) as well as Vermont City Marathon (5/29).  I'm hoping to run 1:16:30 for the half and then set a goal for the full based on how it goes.  It looks like I'll see mgerwin and Ntown Kevin in Middletown.  I'm getting pretty excited for my first long race of the year.

This spring, I'm running the HM in Middletown (4/3) as well as Vermont City Marathon (5/29).  I'm hoping to run 1:16:30 for the half and then set a goal for the full based on how it goes.  It looks like I'll see mgerwin and Ntown Kevin in Middletown.  I'm getting pretty excited for my first long race of the year.

Nice lane. Look fwd to seeing you there. Given the course, I think I'll be okay with anything under 1:20. But I'm not the biggest fan of half marathons. I like my races fast and over quickly.

delicate flower

Lane and Kevin, good luck in Middletown Sunday!  Looks like it'll be breezy and cool.

I'm doing the Greater Hartford Quarter Marathon.  This is my third attempt at making it to the starting line after paying for a registration.  The first time, I tore up my knee after registering, then when I decided to volunteer, I ended up having to put my dog down on race day.  The second time I ended up having a schedule conflict and missed the race.  Soooo, I am crossing my fingers that I actually get to race this time.

<3

Lane and Kevin, good luck in Middletown Sunday! Looks like it'll be horrendous and shitty.

fyp

Make it to the line and good luck!

Lane

Lane and Kevin, good luck in Middletown Sunday!  Looks like it'll be breezy and cool.

i just tried to sign up for it but it's sold out.  Looks like I'll be running Danbury or something else... Scrambling for a new plan!

Lane and Kevin, good luck in Middletown Sunday! Looks like it'll be horrendous and shitty.

fyp

Make it to the line and good luck!

So horrendous and shitty that they cancelled/ postponed it. Bummed, but a little releived too.

Lane

I'm going to do Danbury instead (provided the roads aren't too bad).

So horrendous and shitty that they cancelled/ postponed it. Bummed, but a little releived too.

delicate flower

Someone on facebook posted a video of them driving along the course this morning.  It looked awful...with slush and snow.  And that was before it got windy.  It'll be interesting to see what the make up date is.  I went and registered for Cheshire yesterday before too many Middletown people jump into it and sell it out.

43:16 at the Quarter Marathon yesterday.  6:36 pace.  8 OA and 1 AG.  Raining and 45 degrees.

<3

beat

Break on through

goal:  04/03 - beat - Greater Danbury Road Races Half Marathon, Danbury, 1:28:00

actual result - 51st, 1:42:34

I had something like pneumonia last month, which sapped the strength out of my legs.  It's slowly getting restored.  Result wasn't what I was envisioning in January, but it's the first time I've run under 8 minute per mile pace for several weeks, so that's encouraging. Maybe get back on track for the Redding Half Marathon next month...

The roads in Danbury, Bethel and Redding were not bad - a lot of puddles, but not very much ice or snow.  The wind was what really made an impression - really strong wind today!

They changed the course from previous years.  The initial loop around Rogers Park was removed, and they added an out-and-back section just before the train station in West Redding.  The start and finish are both in front of the War Memorial building.  The rest of the course remains the same.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Lane

I was in Danbury too!  I was shooting for 1:16:30 but ended up with a 1:18:22.  The wind was bad and there was the huge reduction in the number of people running when compared to the last two years.  It didn't look like there were any groups larger than 3-4 and there were a lot of people running by themselves (myself included) which I think reduced the boost that people usually get from races.

goal:  04/03 - beat - Greater Danbury Road Races Half Marathon, Danbury, 1:28:00

actual result - 51st, 1:42:34

I had something like pneumonia last month, which sapped the strength out of my legs.  It's slowly getting restored.  Result wasn't what I was envisioning in January, but it's the first time I've run under 8 minute per mile pace for several weeks, so that's encouraging. Maybe get back on track for the Redding Half Marathon next month...

The roads in Danbury, Bethel and Redding were not bad - a lot of puddles, but not very much ice or snow.  The wind was what really made an impression - really strong wind today!

They changed the course from previous years.  The initial loop around Rogers Park was removed, and they added an out-and-back section just before the train station in West Redding.  The start and finish are both in front of the War Memorial building.  The rest of the course remains the same.

beat

Break on through

I was in Danbury too!  I was shooting for 1:16:30 but ended up with a 1:18:22.  The wind was bad and there was the huge reduction in the number of people running when compared to the last two years.  It didn't look like there were any groups larger than 3-4 and there were a lot of people running by themselves (myself included) which I think reduced the boost that people usually get from races.

Congrats on second place overall!  It was a lot sparser than usual.  I could see that on the out-and-back, where the runners toward the front of the race were really spread out, going by one at a time.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."