Flying Pig 2010

Where to train for the Pig? (Read 226 times)

Thought it would be interesting to hear where the local runners are preparing for the Pig and the hills. My nomination for the best place to prepare for it is the Lebanon bile trail--starting at Countryside Y. Lots of rolling hills, and one monster (downhill going out at the 3 mile point--coming back is a challenge). For longer runs it hooks up with the Little Miami trail. IMO its the perfect course. Good mix of alternating up and sownhill, and an extended gradual uphill 1-1/2 miles from finishing on the turnaround. Columbus was my first marathon in '06 and the slight slope after the 1/2 way point killed me after training only on the very flat Little Miami trail. Trained for the Pig last year, and the hills werent much of a problem after running a bit on this path. I had plenty of other problems--but thats another story. This time Im doing all the training I can on this trail.
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Hey Derek: I love the Little Miami Bike trail. I often start at Grandin road and then if I don't care to run more then 13.1 and want some hills I run up to Countryside. That hill after the buisness sector is a Beast of a hill. I like that trail because it is in the sun light so it helps keep you warm this time of year but it is open so the wind will hit you. However, the best place to run hills is by far in the Hyde Park area. At least that I know of. I started running with a training group that runs in that area and every where you turn you find some great hills. If you don't want to do that it never hurts to run the first half of the flying pig course. It is a long way to go from Countryside down to downtown though and I really do love the bike trail. I am thinking of doing an easy 16 miler along the course this weekend from Grandin to Morrow. It will be my first 16 miler so I figure I will do it on a flat path. My training group is only doing a 7 miler as it is a step back week. We did a 11.5 miler this past week that was very hilly and very windy. I ran it at a good pace so I figure if I slow down by 30 seconds and don't have the hlls that I should be okay for 16 miles. If you start at Counrtyside then you must be catching the big hill on the way back!
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
        I have 14 scheduled for Sunday. I will likely do it on the Countryside trail. Its convenient because I can leave water, etc in the car and run right to it, grab it and go. Also I live 2 minutes from Countryside. Ive had water stolen from my car near Oregonia on the Little Miami trail. And I hate carrying more than a bottle with me. Never got used to the amphipod belt. But I will likely do one of my 20 milers from Oregonia past Morrow and then back. Can refuel in Morrow. Yeah, I get that hill on my way back. And for my 14 mile run, I may get it twice if I do a series of 3.5 out and backs. I will likely do 5 miles out and back, then 2 out and back to avoid the big hill the 2nd time. The wind is bad in parts..At Countryside is the worst, and in the oipen fields before the business park. The rest of it was bearable-even yesterday.
        Tenacious

Moving right along....

I run with Meters and Miles. They most often used the Pig course for the training runs. Best way to train for a race is on the course, right??
          By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I would say that is sort of true. You get the feel for the course but then doing the same runs gets boring and you are never pushing yourself harder then the course. So if you run a variety of routes that have hills that are harder then the ones you will see on the flying pig course I think it will be more fun and make the hills seem easier. I do think it is important to know the course though. Just because you made it up Eden park does not mean you are done with the easy part of the course. You still have some other hills to deal with and it is good to know that so you don't kill yourself going up that hill. I guess what I am trying to say, do some runs on the course but also do some runs off the course. Some of them easier for easy days and some harder so that the Pig course does not seem so challenging. Hope that makes sense or helps. Every person has his/her theories on what is the best thing to do though.
              2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              Personally,I strongly prefer to stay off the roads and hit the trails for my training as much as possible. I pretty much agree with what Bearcat said. Last year I thought I was home free and the last short steep hill caught me off guard as did the run on Columbia Parkway. Knowing about that now, I will be better prepared and pace myself accordingly.
                If I can interest anyone, I'm RD for a half marathon in Youngstown Ohio March 2nd. It is 1180 ft. of up & down, so it's a great marathon training run. Also it's the Road Runners Club state championship race. Youngstown Road Runners- members.aol.com/ytownrrc/

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.