Flying Pig 2010

Course longer than 26.2 (Read 186 times)

I had a great race, hope everyone else did as well. I was aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon, and ended with a chip time of 4:01:55. My Garmin said I ran 26.7 miles, and the course was adjusted because of the fire, so I think I did break four. I hope no one missed qualifing for Boston because of the added distance. This is the offical line from the marathon website: Due to a multiple-alarm fire on Mile 22 of the Marathon course, the start of the race was delayed by about 15 minutes. The course was re-directed around the emergency, adding an estimated fourth of a mile to the route. The route still will be certified as an official course.
      I had a great race, hope everyone else did as well. I was aiming for a sub 4 hour marathon, and ended with a chip time of 4:01:55. My Garmin said I ran 26.7 miles, and the course was adjusted because of the fire, so I think I did break four. I hope no one missed qualifing for Boston because of the added distance. This is the offical line from the marathon website: Due to a multiple-alarm fire on Mile 22 of the Marathon course, the start of the race was delayed by about 15 minutes. The course was re-directed around the emergency, adding an estimated fourth of a mile to the route. The route still will be certified as an official course.
      nlfortner, I would do the math and figure out your real time. It seems to me like you just got under the 4:00 mark. 26.2 is the distance, regardless of what their web site says. Consider yourself a sub 4:00 guy, you deserve it. My wife said she heard people talking about added distance after the marathon. I heard anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 mile. I know I had fallen off my pace a little bit after mile 19, but it didn't feel like I had fallen back as much as the numbers said I had. Still, for my first marathon, I'll take a 3:37:47. I just wanted to break 3:40. If you subtract about 2 minutes for the added distance, it comes out to about a 3:35. Either way, it was a successful race. All in all, the race was well organized, and the crowds were outstanding. I look forward to doing this race again sometime.
        I mapped the extra distance and came up with 0.24 miles. My goal was 4 hours as well. I was having a good day and was going to make 4 hours easily based on my garmin splits. However, I did not realize during the race that the course was adjusted. I just thought it was part of the course. I had to gun it at the end to make it under 4:00 by just a few seconds.
          Thanks jcapozzoli99. I am not completely fixated on the time, I am happy with the race I ran. I did not go out to fast and ran "the hill" exactly as planned. Congrats on your time, that is a killer first marathon time Shocked. It was definitly a good day to run. Nice job Ace on squeaking in under the 4 hr mark.