Flying Pig 2010

Roll Call (Read 423 times)

The Flying PIG is only 31 14 days away.  Who's running it? The Full or Half?  Make yourself known. 

I'm running the Full. This will be my 2nd time running the full, and I have no idea for a goal time.  I'm thinking anything under 3:30 would be a good result.

Runner  Streak Race Goal PR Result Note
    BigJoe 0
    Full 3:30:00 4:17:00 First full in 6 years
    CincyRunnr 5
    Full 2:59 2:59
    runningwild 0
    Full 4-4:30 3:53:50 second marathon
    BearcatRunner 5
    Full 3:18:00 3:20:59 BQ
    rase 0
    Full 3:59:00 3:50

nothing to see here.  

Savoir c'est pouvoir

BigJoe,

That would be a huge improvement on your PR if you can get under 3:30! Your recent half seems to indicate you are on track to get it done.

I'll be running the full also. This will be my 5th Pig and 8th marathon. The '03 Pig was my first marathon and I've participated in some way every year since having done either the relay, half, 5k or as a volunteer.

My current PR is 2:59 from last year and my goal is to finish under 3 hours again.

Lia's Daddy

I registered earlier this week for the full. I was on the fence but have always wanted to run it so I am going for it. This will be my first time running it and only my second marathon. Not in as good shape as I was for my first so I am shooting for between 4 and 4:30. I have a lot of family in Cincy and although my wife and kids will not be joining me, I should get plenty of support.

Woohoo! Getting psyched!

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I am very interested in seeing how you do Joe.  That half was just awesome but the full is such a different animal.  Your half says you can do a 3:10 but yet I know people who can run great halfs but not run a good full.  I think you are smart to shoot for 3:30ish and then see how you feel at the end of the thing.  Better to finish passing people then to being passed.  How are you feeling about your training Joe?

This will be my 5th straight PIG and 10th overall marathon.  I am shooting for 3:18 ish but will be happy with anything under 3:20:59. 

My training has been all over the place for this race so I have no idea what will happen this year.  I think I have logged the miles needed but not sure I have done enough speed work.  This week is all about the miles then the following two weeks is slowly bringing the miles down while adding some speedwork and then the last week is just a maintenance week. 

Mike how is your training coming along?

2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I registered earlier this week for the full. I was on the fence but have always wanted to run it so I am going for it. This will be my first time running it and only my second marathon. Not in as good shape as I was for my first so I am shooting for between 4 and 4:30. I have a lot of family in Cincy and although my wife and kids will not be joining me, I should get plenty of support.

Woohoo! Getting psyched!

Glad you jumped off the fence Bob.  I think you will really like this marathon.  The crowd support is great.  It is a tough course though but I like the challenges that it offers.  Flat and boring are not for me.

2011 Goals:

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Woohoo! Getting psyched!

Runningwild,

I hope you have a great experience at the Pig. As BearcatRunner already mentioned, there are a few hills but that is what gives this race its character.

If you are looking to follow a pace group, the leaders this year were recruited by The Running Spot, a local running specialty shop. They are all local runners who will know the course very well. Consider either joining a group or keeping one in sight to help you pace the hills.

Crowd support is fantastic but can get a little sparse in the final few miles along Riverside Drive. I hope your extended family can get out to support you. They'll have multiple opportunities to see you on the course.

I had a good weekend running 8 miles (6 @ MP) on Saturday and 20 miles at Miami Whitewater yesterday. My schedule is a little out of sync due to the half marathon I raced last weekend. I'll be doing another 20 this Saturday - ECHO "Last Long Run on the Course" before starting a 3 week taper.

My training has been very good.  Although my feet would like to disagree.  I ran a couple runs this week on some overly worn out shoes and I've got some new blisters to show for it.  I went to the local running store to get some new shoes and they were pushing me to buy some "support" shoes.  Never in my life have I run in support shoes.  Needless to say, I took my business elsewhere. 

I'm still kicking around the idea of running with the 3:20 pace group. I know there's a huge difference in racing a half and racing the full.  I know I don't want to bonk out at the end so I'll probably run this one very conservatively.

I may hold off on trying to BQ until the fall or next year all together.

I'm still on schedule ( Hal HIgdon, Intermediate I plan) and this week is the peak of training. One more 20 mile run, for a total of 3. 

nothing to see here.  

I'm in for the full!  Training has had some ups and downs, but I am looking forward to it.  This is my first PIG.  PR is 3:50, I would be happy breaking 4 hours at this point.

Savoir c'est pouvoir

I'm still on schedule ( Hal HIgdon, Intermediate I plan) and this week is the peak of training. One more 20 mile run, for a total of 3.

I've stuck with Higdon's intermediate 1 for the last few years until this year when I switched to intermediate 2. I like the sequence of two weeks of increased distance then a step-back week. It will be interesting to see the effect of an extra 90 miles and longer pace runs in May.

I've used Higdon's training plans for all of my marathons with varying results:

2003 Spring - Novice - 3:35 (injured and started training late, finished strong)

2004 Spring - Novice - 3:14 (totally spent at finish)

2005 Spring - Novice - 3:25 (didn't push this one)

2006 Spring - Intermediate 1 - injured and ran half instead in 1:31

2007 Spring - Novice - 3:15 (finished comfortably),

2007 Fall - Intermediate 1 - 3:02 (finished strong)

2008 Spring - Intermediate 1 - 3:15 (first try at sub-3 and crashed hard w/ a 15 min. positive split)

2009 Spring - Intermediate 1 - 2:59 (started to fade last 3 miles)

2010 Spring - Intermediate 2 - ??

After my injuries in 2006 (Stress fx) I started adding more trail miles and then trail ultras starting in 2007. I have run at least 1 ultra per year since. I now get at least one run per week on trails and credit those runs with reduced injuries by improving lateral strength and stability in my legs.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

@ CincyRunnr:

Where is the ECHO group starting at and what time?  I saw a message from Mr. Fenton about it but I must be missing all of the ECHO group messages.  I'm connected with the facebook thing.  Maybe I did something to tick off the god father Mr. Nash .  Amazing what he has been through lately!  Is he walking it again this year?

I got a bunch of people involved in running the PIG so we are running the course at 6 AM on Saturday.  I have a feeling you will be passing us.  What is your route?  This is ours.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/oh/cincinnati/825126952182248883

Do you know who is running the 3:20 pace group?  Tell me it is Pacer Chris!

@BigJoe

I thought you needed a 3:15 for the BQ. 

2011 Goals:

Savoir c'est pouvoir

@ CincyRunnr:

Where is the ECHO group starting at and what time?  I saw a message from Mr. Fenton about it but I must be missing all of the ECHO group messages.  I'm connected with the facebook thing.  Maybe I did something to tick off the god father Mr. Nash .  Amazing what he has been through lately!  Is he walking it again this year?

I got a bunch of people involved in running the PIG so we are running the course at 6 AM on Saturday.  I have a feeling you will be passing us.  What is your route?  This is ours.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/oh/cincinnati/825126952182248883

Do you know who is running the 3:20 pace group?  Tell me it is Pacer Chris!

@BigJoe

ECHO start is 7:00am at Sawyer Point. They don't charge for parking that early and it is a good place to finish. This is the course. It doesn't hit any of the bridges downtown, just starts right up Broadway to Gilbert @ 8th St. and then heads east along the course.

We'll be heading in the same direction as you but will be about 10 minutes behind heading up to Eden Park. Even if my pace is 30 sec. faster per mile, it would take me 20 miles to make up the 10 minutes so it's very unlikely that I pass you before you turn right @ Erie to head for Delta.

Brian was the recruiter/organizer for the Running Spot pace groups so he'll know who is leading the 3:20 group. I know PacerChris is running the Pig but not sure if he's pacing. If he is, either 3:10 or 3:20 is likely.

@BigJoe

Acutally I need a 3:10 for BQ and I just don't see it as a real goal at this point.  maybe if I keep up the miles I'll try for it in the fall at Columbus or Indianapolis.  (i don't know if I'm that committed to this marathon thing). 

nothing to see here.  

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Mike is that a 20 mile course?  I have 16 miles for next week and have been wrestling with going down Columbia Parkway.  I knew the group that I am running with wants no part of it this weekend.  I did it once on a 14 mile run but it required me to go up Delta on the way back. 

I am thinking I will just do this course next week.  So I can skip the Delta piece.  I worry a little about getting arrested running on Columbia Parkway.  I know, I know but it would be my dumb luck I catch a pissed off cop looking to give a ticket to the next person he/she sees.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/oh/cincinnati/326127049301474950

Then I think I might do a 10 mile run from Kroger through Mariemont the following weekend. 

2011 Goals:

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Mike is that a 20 mile course?  I have 16 miles for next week and have been wrestling with going down Columbia Parkway.  I knew the group that I am running with wants no part of it this weekend.  I did it once on a 14 mile run but it required me to go up Delta on the way back. 

I am thinking I will just do this course next week.  So I can skip the Delta piece.  I worry a little about getting arrested running on Columbia Parkway.  I know, I know but it would be my dumb luck I catch a pissed off cop looking to give a ticket to the next person he/she sees.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/oh/cincinnati/326127049301474950

Then I think I might do a 10 mile run from Kroger through Mariemont the following weekend. 

Yes, the ECHO course is 20 miles. 

If you're concerned about Columbia Pkwy, there is a detour that only adds 1/4 mile. You can turn south at Wooster Pike where Columbia Parkway starts and run parallel to Columbia Pkwy then cross over the railroad tracks at the pedestrian bridge at the end of Hutton St. It brings you back onto the course right about where your 8 mile turn-around is. The detour is more industrial than I'd prefer but it only misses 1.75 miles of the actual course. It's a shame to miss the Mariemont section in training just to avoid Columbia Pkwy.

If you want to do 16 with us, you could start at Madison and Woodburn (where the 1/2 splits) and pick up our group there. I'd be happy to drive you from Sawyer Point back to your car.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

"If you want to do 16 with us, you could start at Madison and Woodburn (where the 1/2 splits) and pick up our group there. I'd be happy to drive you from Sawyer Point back to your car."

Thanks for the offer.  I promised to run with a group from work.  I talked most of them into it so I thought it would be a good idea to get them thinking in the mode of race day.  BigJoe is going to run with us so he will be the perfect pace for me as long as he holds back a little.  After his half marathon a few weeks ago I feel like I might be holding him back. 

I do want to run with the Echo group though as I would love to get some faster runs in.  Not right now but during the summer as I am working on my 5K time.   I don't think you guys get together as much during the summer right?

How does everyone else have your last few weeks set up?  I'm always wondering if I am resting enough but then I also worry that I will lose some fitness.  It is a fine line to run enough so you are mentally ready but not too much so the body is ready. 

Here is mine (this is subject to change as I am always tweaking!):

Week - Long run  ---  Mileage

13          21                    67

14          16                    52 (Speed work on Tuesday)

15          10                    43 (Speed work on Tuesday)

16          26.2                 43 (with marathon included!)

2011 Goals: