Flying Pig 2010

Welcome to the group. (Read 471 times)

imsoslow

Hi everyone - Is there room for a CR refugee who won't do much but lurk? I'm signed up for the Flying Pig full marathon. It will be my first marathon. I've done a number of half marathons and was slated to run Chicago this year, but had to change my plans due to a tibial stress fracture Sad(March of '07, 8-week layoff, then a long slow gradual return to running). Hoping to remain injury free. I would be interested in any tips from the Pig veterans, particularly in regard to the long climb between miles 4 and 9. Anne
      welcome! I ran it last year as my third marathon. I am still very much a novice (have yet to break 5 hours). But, surprisingl those early hills werent bad for me at all. Now, the last late hill after the point where I convinced myself it would be all downhill and the highway run, did kill me. Be sure to train on hills. Maybe not huge monster hills, but rolling hills at least. For my first marathon (2006 Columbus) I trained solely on the Little Miami trail which is dead flat, and even the mild COlumbus grades got to me. For The Pig I trained on the Lebanon trail which is very hilly, and I hardly noticed the early Pig Hills.
      imsoslow

Thanks Murphy996, that's the sort of advice I'm looking for. If you are hoping to break 5 hours, we might cross paths, as that is my goal also. I am in central Illinois (flat corn country) but we do have some good rolling hills. I checked out the elevation on the website and it looks like the course peaks around mile 9, then sort of stairsteps back down. Our running club has a big group making the trip to Cincinnati for this race, we've got a number of first-time marathoners like myself, and also some of the 4-person relay teams for the people who don't want to run the half or full. It should be a lot of fun! Big grin anne
        Tenacious

Moving right along....

My wife and I were just talking about Disney world. How do you like it? We have three kids and thought about making it a vacation but then started to worry about being to tired to enjoy it afterwards or wearing ourselves out before it. Plus she would probably run the half and me the full so then we would lose two days of our vacation. What are your thoughts on it?
          Well........it was hot again. Maybe not as hot as last year, but I'm telling you, when that sun shows itself, it gets downright tough. I spent time at Universal and Daytona before the race and then Universal immediately after the race. I was tired but not exhausted and so very glad that I kept going after the race and didn't stiffen up. Had a couple new experiences in this race. Last year, the Disney being my very first 1/2 marathon, I was in the back of the pack and therefore had room enough to move around other runners/walkers when they took us down to one lane. This year, having shaved 2mm off my pace I was in the middle of the pace and found it diffiicult to pass people as there just wasn't enough room. It really slowed my pace ---I was a bit disappointed with how they pushed us through some narraow spots (which I didn't recognize last year.) The other thing was that the walkers, as in any race, forget to keep to the right to allow the runners to pass. No big deal I thought. Then I got to the finish, I could see the finish sign, and like most of us, increased my pace for the last 2/10 of the mile. I let a walker in front of me knoiw that I was going to pass her by telling her I was on her right. She was walking at the very edge of the left hand side. Instead of moving over, she jabbed me in the ribs with her elbow as I passed---and I do mean purposefully!!! She nabbed me a good one. I don't get why she did that since she was going to finish maybe 30 seconds behind me----It's not like either of us was going to win a medal. Talk about poor sportsmanship!! Because of the heat in Orlando --even in January-- you just have to run this race for fun. Just can't get serious about it. Since my kids are grown and gone, I will not do it again (and this time I mean it). The course is flat, so if you do decide that you want to do it, train on flat ground if you can find it around Cincinnati. You have to be at Epcot by 4:30AM, so it might be a good thing that you and your wife would run different races since you have kids. The kids I'm sure would love the parks----but beware---tickets are very pricey, but then everything is pricey around there. If you decide to seriously consider the Disney race, I have lots more input for you!!!
          By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin
            Just joined the group this evening when I found out it exsisted. The Flying Pig will be my 1st marathon after many 1/2 marathons and years of putting off the training. I picked the Flying Pig because of the positive things I had read about the marathon on different running forums. Only goal is to be under 4 hours, which should be no problem, but I don't want to aim for the 3:30 time the McMillan calculator says I should run since this is my first shot at 26.2 I look forward to sharing stories and information with all of you up to the marathon
              One more thing..... I'll be coming in for this marathon from my hometown of Pittsburgh, so any suggestions as to good hotels near the course and best vantage points for spectators would be be extremely helpful. I think my wife would like to see me more than just one time during a 3-4 hour event, then again, I could be wrong....
                Hi JC good to have you here. I can't help with your questions at this time but starting to check it out myself. I'm an Ohio guy but only 42 miles from Pitt. I plan on doing the half along with several members of our running club because it's the Road Runners Clubs of America convention. It will be a first Flying Pig experience for all of us.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Try staying downtown--The Westin is nice--there are plenty of choices. That way you can walk to the start..I live just north of Cincinnati and had no problem driving in last year. So, if you cant find a downtown hotel--its not the end of the world. May even stay in Northern Ky. The best vantage points is probably near Sawyer Point..Great view of the city..and shouldnt be to tough to get around to. Its around mile 8 if I remember correctly-its the highest point on the course--and when you may be most in need of support. As far as other points..im ot really sure what is most accesible for the spectators, but Im sure others will chime in.
                    I can't help with the running part of the Flying Pig. However, the spectator part is a blast! For the past 2 years I have pulled 3 kids out of bed and plan to do that again this year. (ages: 9,5,3) Place to Stay: Murphy996 is correct. The Westin is nice and is close to the finish line. After running 26.2 I can't imagine any place being close enough. I also come from the North and traffic is not bad. There is a Travelodge in Northern Kentucky, but looks scary. Place to see runners: First, wear a color easy to see. (of course, comfort is your #1 goal) Most runners wear white. My husband had an orange shirt and we could see him coming. (several had on orange, but not as many) This includes the guy with an orange speedo and "Who Dey" on his legs. My favorite place is Mile marker 17. The running crowd is thin but runners are still in good spirits. The kids always get lots of high five's here. It is a short car ride to the finish line from 17. (just take Columbia Parkway)The finish line was good too. We stand at mile marker 26 just before you run under US Bank Arena. Plenty of space and the runners usually hear us. If you stay downtown and your wife does not want to drive she can catch you on the bridges early.

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October