Flying Pig 2010

Getting passed 20-22 miles?? (Read 174 times)

Tenacious

Moving right along....

One of the things that frightens me the most about finishing a full is getting passed the 20th or 22nd mile where most people hit "the wall." I would be interested in hearing anything special aside from taking it one step at a time that anyone has used to help them through those miles. J
    By failing to prepare, you are prepairing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

Imminent Catastrophe

It seems simple, but know your pace and stick with it, especially in the early miles. I keep learning this, over and over again. Jacksonville last month, I went out too fast and it was a disaster, it was a death march in the second half. Result: 4:15 and I felt like I was gonna die Dead Friday in Dubai I went out at a good disciplined pace and ran even splits (or very close). I was being passed by a lot of runners in the first half. Toward the end, I was running the same pace and passing them. One of them remarked, "you're running fast". I said, no, just steady! Result: 3:54 and felt good Big grin I much prefer the second method! Oh, and one more thing--carbs. Know what you need during the run and get it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Even though I hit the wall at 21-22, the pain increased exponentially through mile 25. It took every drop of my will to not stop "running," my pace fell to 12:00 min miles and I was in aweful pain. Perfesser is right, know your pace and stick to it through out. Looking back, I ran way to fast the first half even after telling myself I would not do it. I got caught up in the moment and felt so great that I thought I could sustain it. The other thing I plan to do different this time is add one training run that is between 22 and 24 miles long. I know there is controversy over this distance of your longest training run, but I think it would have done me good to experience that much time on my feet prior to the marathon. Hopefully I will add that run in this program as my last long run around 4 weeks out and we can all see if it works. I would like to experience finishing the marathon with something left in the tank and not crash the way I did last time.