Flying Pig 2010

Training runs on the course (Read 167 times)

I'd like to run one in February and a second time in March and possibly a third in April. 

Anyone interested in running part of the couse a few times before the big day?

I'd be up for any weekend in February for 14-18 miles of the course. 

Its pretty easy to park around Newport and hit the 3 bridges and then head up Gilbert Ave to Eden park. 

nothing to see here.  

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Hey Joe I am definatley up for that.  If you don't mind running between 8:30 - 7:30 pace (depends how I am feeling that day).  Today I ran the first nine miles of the course and then back downtown.  I like to park at Staples on 42 because it is easy parking and then you hit all of the bridges in order.  It is also easier to get back to when you finish.  You can see where I started today to get an idea of where I am talking about if you don't know where the staples is.  It is very easy to get to. 

I am open for any Sunday runs that you want to do.  I am trying to get on the course every two weeks at least.  I was going to do some race pace runs at Lunken today but the guy I was running with bailed out at the last moment so I decided to do the first part of the course again.  I am open this Sunday if you have any desire to run then.  If so would you be okay with an 8 AM start time?

Anyone else is welcome to run with us.  We don't all have to run together.  It would just be nice to start out at the same time and know that other people are running the course as well.  I don't see myself going any faster than 7:30 or slower than 8:30.  7:30 is my race pace and 8:30 is my easy pace.  However, with those hills no pace is ever easy. 

2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

8AM start times would be fine with me.  and that pace works well with me too.  I might be able to recruit another guy (not a RA'er yet).  I'll have to check my schedule to see what next Sunday looks like.  

By the way, you have a very impressive log!  those 200 mile months should put you in good position for your 3:20 or less.

I have no idea what a realistic time for me is going to be.  If I enter some recent race times in the pace calculators its spits out anywhere from 3:09 to 3:30.  all of which seems really optimistic.  Like I have said before, I'm hoping to race a HM in march to give me some guidance, but a HM is only HALF of the marathon so I don't know how well it will translate.

nothing to see here.  

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well it seems to be we are using different schedules.  I'm running more miles at an easier pace but you are running less at a faster pace.  I would like to run more runs at race pace.  Sounds like if we could become one runner we would be doing great.

Your 5k race definatley points that you can run in the 3:20 range.   A HM I think will give you a great test of where you are and what you can expect for race day.   I'm debating which races I am going to run as warm up and how they fit into the schedule. 

This Sunday I am planning on 13 if we are running hard around 7:30 pace or 16 if we are running a slower pace in the 8 - 8:30 pace. 

How far do you have scheduled?

2011 Goals:

I'm following Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 plan. i started w/ about a 20mpw base, so I'm slowly building up my long runs. This Sunday calls for 12 miles at an easy pace.  I'll probably do them around 8m/m.  I could stretch it out to 16 if I backed it down to 8:30s.  Hal's plan has a lot of Marathon Pace runs on Saturdays.  I've been trying to hit those at 7:15/7:30 for now. 

Here the entire plan w/ dates:

<col width="75" style="width: 56pt;" /> <col span="8" width="64" style="width: 48pt;" />
            Week Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
            12/28/2009 1 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest
            5 m pace 8
            1/4/2010 2 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 5 m run 9
            1/11/2010 3 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 5 m pace 6
            1/18/2010 4 cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run rest 6 m pace 11
            1/25/2010 5 cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run rest 6 m run 12
            2/1/2010 6 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 6 m pace 9
            2/8/2010 7 cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run rest 7 m pace 14
            2/15/2010 8 cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run rest 7 m run 15
            2/22/2010 9 cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run rest 7 m pace 11
            3/1/2010 10 cross 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run rest 8 m pace 17
            3/8/2010 11 cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 8 m run 18
            3/15/2010 12 cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run rest 8 m pace 13
            3/22/2010 13 cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 5 m pace 20
            3/29/2010 14 cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run rest 8 m run 12
            4/5/2010 15 cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 5 m pace 20
            4/12/2010 16 cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run rest 4 m pace 12
            4/19/2010 17 cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run rest 3 m run 8
            4/26/2010 18 cross 3 m run 4 m run rest rest 2 m run race

I'll have to check with the wife to make sure she's OK with me heading downtown as it will add an extra hour+ to my workout. 

nothing to see here.  

No running downtown for me this weekend.  I've got too many little things to do around the house on Sunday.  I'm going to have to start my long run well before  the sun comes up. 

nothing to see here.  

Savoir c'est pouvoir

I'm doing a run with 3 other guys in the morning starting at Hyde Park Sq. We'll probably follow the course out to Mariemont and then break up Delta returning to the square for 15.2 miles.

Run starts at 6 am in front of Awakenings Coffee & Tea.  Pace will be in the mid-7s.

Feel free to join us.

Mike

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks Mike.  Would be great to run with you but I've scheduled a run in West Chester with Big Joe.  Keep me up to date on these runs though.  I'm sure I will take you up on a few and maybe we will have some other RA'ers as well.  I plan to be on the course again next week.  I want to be on the course at least every other week.
                    2011 Goals:

Savoir c'est pouvoir

How did everyone's run go today?

My group of four ended up running part of the Pig course in reverse from Hyde Park Sq. down to the Purple People bridge crossing into Kentucky and stopping at Newport on the Levee for a quick water/restroom break . We had only done 6.5 miles to that point so we continued into Covington and came back over the Ohio River via the suspension bridge returning to HPS the way we came. The sun was just coming up as we ran along the overlook at Eden Park.

Our pace started off in the 8's for the first two miles and then hovered in the mid 7's until mile 11 (Eden Park) where another runner and I picked it up to average 6:33 for the last 3.77 miles. It was a strong finish and felt good to stretch it out a bit.

14.77 miles in 1:49:44 (7:26 pace)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

How did everyone's run go today?

My group of four ended up running part of the Pig course in reverse from Hyde Park Sq. down to the Purple People bridge crossing into Kentucky and stopping at Newport on the Levee for a quick water/restroom break . We had only done 6.5 miles to that point so we continued into Covington and came back over the Ohio River via the suspension bridge returning to HPS the way we came. The sun was just coming up as we ran along the overlook at Eden Park.

Our pace started off in the 8's for the first two miles and then hovered in the mid 7's until mile 11 (Eden Park) where another runner and I picked it up to average 6:33 for the last 3.77 miles. It was a strong finish and felt good to stretch it out a bit.

14.77 miles in 1:49:44 (7:26 pace)

Sorry for the late reply.  Joe and I had a nice run.  It was good to have company as the run goes by much faster that way.  Our pace was a little slower than I was anticipating but just getting out in that cold, snow and bad coniditions is a major win.  We got in 13 miles and it felt good. 

2011 Goals: