Good Times 5K of Lowell MA

2011 Goofy's Race and a half Challenge (Read 906 times)

I know this is a year away, but registration fills up very fast. I am running this and will be heading down to Disney w/o the family. I wanted to see if any other Good Times runners are crazy adventurous enough to join me. For those who don't know what the Goofy Challenge is:

Goofy Challenge

You can also choose to run just the Half Marathon or Full Marathon if you are smart not as adventurous.

The races are expensive, but I am a huge Disney fan and it's a one time thing for me.

I'd be up for sharing a room on Disney property, but that can be worked out later.

I'm all set with running 13.1 the day before 26.2, but you have fun with that.  

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm all set with running 13.1 the day before 26.2, but you have fun with that.  

I'll take that as you not being very adventurous

Who said anything about running, I plan on racing both. Of course, that may change after the 13.1 on Saturday

I know of a number of people who did this year's Goofy Challenge...in 30+ degree temps!! That stinks. To go down to Florida expecting a warm half/marathon only to get New England weather. Now that's a true Goofy Challenge.

Fil and I were discussing whether if this was something we would ever want to do, but we can't seem to  justify the cost of getting down there, spending a few days to run both races, + race fees. Sounds like a good time though.

I'm hoping for better weather next year, but would prefer 30 degress over 95. At least I'd be used to the cold.

Jason, I hear you on the cost. Unfortunately anytime you have to fly to a race it gets expensive. If I wasn't such a Disney fanatic I probably wouldn't do it. Plus, I'm assuming this will be a one time thing.

I ran the half.  Just got back from Florida.
                I ran the half.  Just got back from Florida.

Any important parts suffering from Florida frostbite?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The conditions for the race were pretty close to what we had at Baystate last year.  It was cold and snowing the entire time.  The race starts at 5:45 AM and they want you in the staging area by 4.  Of course I did not bring cold weather racing gear so I was stuck wearing my sweatshirt.    I didn't need to race in it but I was stuck with it by that point.  Keeping with tradition, I learned a lesson the hard way.

Overall I did pretty decent considering December was a bad month for me.  I submitted a good placement time and got seeded in the first corral. 

Actual time:  1:50:36

Chip time:    1:50:21

Overall: 1167

Finishers:  17110

Here is the link for the photos they have of me:

photos

Probably would have been more if my number was on my chest. 

For anybody who wants to track my slow deathDead next month in the Disney races:

http://live.activeresult.com/msg/MSG-signup.tcl?event_id=3

For anybody who wants to track my slow deathDead ...

That's the spirit Eric, go get 'em.

E.J.

C-R

Good luck Eric. I'm out for Disney. Opted for a 50k here and saving some coin for my uber stupid sub 3 attempt at Boston.

Enjoy the Goofy. I liked it (except the 3 am bus crap). Hope the weather is warmer than the 28 from last year.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks Norm...I paid extra for the race retreat just incase the weather is a repeat of last year. It's a one time deal for me, assuming that I actually make it to the starting line. I need to get back to training and heal up from this damn tendonitis / ligamnet or whatever is causing my knee pain. Training had been going great until two weeks ago..go figure

For anybody who wants to track my slow deathDead next month in the Disney races:

http://live.activeresult.com/msg/MSG-signup.tcl?event_id=3

Well may end up a DNS depending on what I find out at the ortho on Wednesday

I'll be there.  Doing the 5k and the 1/2.

Well may end up a DNS depending on what I find out at the ortho on Wednesday

Against my better judgement, looks like I am going to still give it a go...will be lucky to even finish both races, so not really planning to try to race either one..

link to HM results...I'm BIB # 20302

http://live.activeresult.com/index.dude?id=9

link to Marathon results...I'm BIB # 426

http://live.activeresult.com/index.dude?id=8

I'll be w/o internet until I get back so no "race" report until I get back..assuming I make it back