Toronto and Beyond

How is your training going? (Read 268 times)

Went out last night, clear skies, cool air, and did the first tempo run in quite some time. Legs felt great, could easily have run faster, but lungs were a limiting factor. i will have to do some more faster running between now and my half at the end of April so i can judge my pace accurately for the distance. I feel good today, slight twinge in the left Achilles. How is your training going?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

I am having fun actually. I've done my best to not "worry" about everything. I've run outside a couple of times and am looking forward to another run outside tomorrow - maybe down by Cherry beach?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I've slowed way down over the winter which may or may not be good, but I was having some piriformis issues that appear to be better. I joined a RR half-marathon clinic and they are almost up to my mileage but I have had some breathing issues at the beginning of my runs and there isn't anyone in the group that runs at my pace. The cold and wind seem to really bother me. We have started hill training and I am enjoying pushing myself on the hills. I've signed up for Harry's Spring Run off 8k and Sporting Life 10k. Looking forward to them. And SO happy the ice and snow are gone!!! Cool

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

things are going OK with me.... felt very worn down last week so I took it easy. I seem to be rebounding OK...... I'm about to head out for an easy 10 miles. Around The Bay next Sunday. I'm also running Harry's and Sporting life. I'm leaning towards running the Half in Ottawa.
            I can't complain. I had a nasty calf strain that basically tanked the last half of February for me but March has been great so far. Not much tempo yet as the calf is still dodgie and I have a groin strain from last December that still flairs up every now and then. Just taking it easy and slow and it's working for me. After today I will have run more kilometers this March than any month ever. Hoping to get to the point where I can push the tempo a bit more by the time warm weather comes around.
            And who am I anyway?
            Just another fat jogger, evidently.
              After today I will have run more kilometers this March than any month ever.
              That's awesome! The first 100 mile month is a great milestone! no need to push it too hard in the winter and early spring.........its all just a warm up for the fall raceing season.
                .........its all just a warm up for the fall raceing season.
                Yeah, you have fun with that. lolol
                And who am I anyway?
                  I joined a RR half-marathon clinic and they are almost up to my mileage but I have had some breathing issues at the beginning of my runs and there isn't anyone in the group that runs at my pace. The cold and wind seem to really bother me.
                  I feel ya, kiddo. I poked around at a few groups a week or two ago, just asking the organizers about pace and whatnot and it seems to be a universal truth that I would be the slowest one in every group, to the extent that "you would basically be running alone". I've actually seen my pace improve significantly in the last few weeks, from around 8:45 per k at easy pace to around 7:45 or 8:00. It's still kind of a struggle in that I always want to run faster but I have committed myself to this heart rate monitor for a year just to see how it plays out. So far, very frustrating at times, but the results have been good. I think that summer will tell the story on that one. As for the cold and wind... testify. I had no problem running in it back in January, was out there when the wind chill was -38, but it is wearing me down. For as much as I looked forward to my runs a month ago when it was -20 wind chill I now find that I have to talk myself into going out there when it's +3 because it's too cold. I think I'm just sick it. Of course, as I type this it's -1 with a windchill of -6. I prayed for days like this back in January. Now I'm sitting here typing instead of stretching because if I wait til 4pm to run it will be a whole 1 degree warmer.
                  And who am I anyway?
                    The evenings are getting nice now, Finemess, a good time to run. I have had some scheduling problems as my wife does tax preparation, so a busy time of year, and I try to help[ with the phone and answering the door, but I am way ahead of last year and starting to feel more confident that I will be prepared in time for Hartwell. Ruth, is your group too slow for you, maybe you could do faster runs or hills on your own and use the group runs as easy miles? Simon.

Ruth, is your group too slow for you, maybe you could do faster runs or hills on your own and use the group runs as easy miles? Simon.
                      Hahahahahahahahahaha! Smile Smile ***snort*** Sorry Simon, you just have to see me run. Smile Clowning around No, my group consists of a bunch of women starting in their mid-20s up to my age. They dart off like something is chasing them which turns me into a huffing and puffing idiot and I have to start a fast walk / run to recover then watch the distance between the group and me increase until I can't see them anymore. I honestly don't know why I keep going except that I paid my money so I'm going to keep it up. Most of the time I run alone. Especially the long runs, which is unfortunate because I would like to run on the trails around here but not alone. That said - something must be working, because I feel very good - no piriformis, IT band problems etc like I was having before. But that might have something to do with the Yoga classes. I am running at the recommended speed for a "finish" half-marathon and I have covered 18km on my longest run so I'm hoping that I will get some of that "race magic" when I actually go for my half. I wouldn't do a RR clinic again though.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Ruthie, Our paces are very similar. I normally do a long run every nine or ten days and you are more than welcome to join in. I would love the company. My routes are all mapped publicly, very public areas such as streets and well used trails, very safe. I'm sane and very happily married, so no worries about axe murderer or creepy hit on you guy. The biggest caveat is that I do produce my share of snot rockets and I do tend to swear at cyclists and motorists that veer too close. My routes are all loops that begin and end in the Lawrence / Bathurst area. Today, for example, I'm doing 22k at somewhere between 7:15 - 8:00 per k. Based on my last week or so I'm guessing it will come in pretty close to 7:45, with the last half being a bit slower as it is mostly uphill. Here's a link to a typical long route for me. I'm running this one this afternoon, in fact. http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ca/on/toronto/519123813052341509 My schedule is such that I work til around 4:00am every night ( the main reason I don't race, I can't run anywhere at 8:00am ) so I don't get everything done and get ready to run until 3:00 or 4:00 pm. That time is bad for some people but I always see plenty of people on the trails so it must work for a few, lol. Anyway, if you want to join in either today or any other time drop me an email at blindfish@ymail.com. MTA: I didn't mean that just for Ruthie. I love running w/ people but rarely find someone willing to grind out k's as slowly as I do. But if anyone wants to come along on one of my runs, please feel free to email me and we'll set it up.
                        And who am I anyway?
                          Sorry, I must have misunderstood something! Ruth, your log shows for the last 30 days you ran 174kms at an average pace of 5:26, how fast are these women? That's faster than I run. Anyway, I am sorry you are not enjoying the clinic- I have done a couple and found then enjoyable. It is true people get spread out but there are usually groups that are slower or faster, not just individuals.

Hey Simon My post was pretty vague on the speed so could have been interpreted either way. Regarding pace.....Hmmmmm..... Log says I ran 108.3 miles in time of 15:47:00 equivalent to a pace of 8:45/mile. Confused Conversion: Using 1.6x for miles to km I get 173 km. 15:47:00 x 60 minutes = 928.2 min / 173 km = 5.35 min/km Confused Something can't be right here. If you look at my speeds in the Workout section I'm running 12 - 13 minute miles. Anyway, I do run slow - that's just me. Someday I may surprise myself... MTA smilies Smile

I just figured this out when I opened my eyes this morning. I haven't logged all my times so the calculation using total hours running is wrong. Amazing what your brain does while you are sleeping! So my times are 11:30 to 13:00 minute miles most of the time. These women (and one man) run probably sub 10:00. At 12:00 min/mile that is about 7:27 min/km.

redleaf

tried to read all the math up there and got confused...reminds me how appreciative I am of Eric's work... I had a really bad run on the TM last Thursday, so much so that I thought an extra day off on Saturday would be good too. Went out in the rain on Sunday and had a great run (getting soaked and all) - shins still acting up a little but maybe the running gods thought they'd be nice to me on my birthday. Doing 6:1s and after the first one I consciously forced myself to slow down and I still managed to go quicker than usual...I think I'm going to ignore the TM from now on! Surgery seems to be healing well. I took a short session with my workplace's yoga teacher on Friday and I can do most of the stuff using a fist with my right hand instead of flat so I start yoga tomorrow at lunch too! I'm very excited about that. Follow up with the surgeon in three weeks to get the final okay for hockey! (first game tentatively scheduled for April 27 in case you're interested in some mediocre hockey Wink)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362