The Hills are dark and full of terrors.
Nothing burns like the Monkey. But only for a while. Then it gets inside you and starts to fill you up, and after a while you don't have the strength to fight it. It's easier just to sit down to go to sleep. They say you don't feel any pain toward the end. First you go weak and drowsy, and everything starts to fade, and then it's like sinking into a sea of warm milk. Peaceful, like.
Does the Monkey scare you? It should. A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in every man's life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose. Indeed, only a man who's been burned knows what hell is truly like. Only one who has run Monkey then knows despair. So it is that only when you have to Monkey will you know whether you are truly brave. Or just some bold craven.
Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it. So know this; when you play a game of monkeys you win or you die.
Monkey is coming.
And note this well -
- We STILL have charity registration spots available, but not for much longer. The charity spots support a donation to the park where we hold this little event. Convince your friends of madness, invite them to come and share in the wars to be fought in the hills.
- We honor the laws of hospitality and ask that you bring some food and/or drink to share with the rest of the monkeys post race pot-luck style. As always, I will be making home-made monkey pumpkin pies. Lots of them. What will you bring?
- We are still looking for volunteers on race morning or for the Thursday night before the race from 4-8pm. If you know of anybody smart enough not to run who wants to come out and spend a sweltering or freezing morning in the park helping out, please let us know. Volunteers are awesome!
- Your registration info is posted on the Monkey's website AND here: http://www.runningahead.com/events/Monkey/participants. Please take a look to make sure it is correct.
- Is it so far from madness to wisdom? If you have the wisdom to realize you won't be able to make it to Monkey, please let me know so I can offer your spot to one of the foolish fools on our foolish wait list.
- Packet pickup is planned for the Gordon JCC on November 22, 2014 between 2pm and 4pm. The JCC is located at 801 Percy Warner Blvd, Nashville, TN 37148. This is less than 2 miles from the race start/finish area. Here is a map to the GJCC: http://tinyurl.com/MonkeyPacketPickup . Packet pickup will also be available race morning adjacent to the starting line.
- For those of you who want a post-race shower but are checking out of your hotel room, you can return to the JCC located at 801 Percy Warner Blvd, Nashville, TN 37148. They will need you to show your bib and bring your own towel and soap. They may also charge you the $5 guest fee.
- We still plan to offer Yazoo Beer after the race to those who are of the correct drinking age. Yazoo is good brew, local and tasty. If you want to enjoy some, please bring your ID with you to the race. You don't have to run with it, but once the beer is available after noon, you will need your ID. If you want to tweet your grand appreciation for this, use these tags: @YazooBrew and @yazoobrewmaster
- We plan to have swag for sale at packet pickup and then post-race, with all proceeds going to support the Friends of Warner Parks, the charity that keeps Monkeyville spectacular. We like to support the parks. Cash appreciated. And cheap!
- The Twitter Monkey hashtag: #MonkeyMarathon. You can also Tweet @hhFlyingMonkey, if'n you want.
- The website lists information about where there is lodging near the race and restaurants where you can dine over the weekend. In addition, if you have further questions, feel free to holler or to put out a query on our message board: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/HHFMM/forum. If you post there, please don't mind the monkey business.
A runner needs hills as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
A Dance with MonkeysTrent
I'm running somewhere tomorrow. It's going to be beautiful. I can't wait.
Looks like we are in for another Monsoon Monkey
Nashville 10 Day Forecast
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH EVERYBODY??
"PM LIGHT RAIN"
ARE YOU PEOPLE FUCKING MONKEYS OR ARE YOU MICE?
I AM STILL DIGGING OUT THE MUD FROM MY SHOES I WORE POST MONSOON MONKEY. LIGHT/HEAVY, ITS GONNA BE MUDDY
THE RACE IS ON ROADS
THE RAIN WILL BE LIGHT
THE RAIN WILL BE IN THE PM!
IT IS 10 DAYS OUT, WHO KNOWS WHAT THE WEATHER WILL REALLY BE.
A LITTLE MUD IN YOUR SHOES IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR BEING SPARED BY THE MONKEYS!!!
Slowr than Speedn Turtle
will there be a pre-race cargo dinner on Saturday evening?
Nothing specifically organized this year.
Will Crew for Beer
Seriously? It's like someone said, "Let it rain, but only during the marathon."
Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.
Lived through a rainy race, but no experience with wind. Maybe the wind will make the flying monkeys stay home.
old woman w/hobby
"Just stop fucking drinking too much and being fat. Pretty simple. Who the hell cares if you like beer.
We can't always do the things we like all the time." --Candice
Still too early to worry about the weather...
It's never too early to panic.