Letters & Opinions

Traveling Tuesdailies! (Read 20 times)

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

DW and I are sitting on Amtrak train #42, pulling out of the station in Pittsburgh. Destination NYC. Then Bayeaux France, then Norway. 

What’s in your plans for the day?

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

StepbyStep-SH

Have a wonderful trip, Bob!

Walked on the indoor track with a friend this morning - rain/snow mix started while we were there and is supposed to continue through tomorrow. Happy April.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Baboon

delicate flower

Safe travels, Bob!!

I had a track workout this morning.  3 x 1.5 mile tempo, which I ran at a 6:40 avg, which is the fastest I've been during this training cycle.  7 miles total for the workout.  I moved this up a day due to some awful weather in the forecast the next couple of days, and to give myself an extra day between this workout and my Saturday race.

<3

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

I’ll be teaching an hour of BODYPUMP™ tonight after work. I’ll also be making my attempt to sign up for Dopey’s Challenge in about 30 minutes.

MTA: I don't think Dopey is happening. It's been 20 minutes, and I haven't even received the link for registration on my Club runDisney account. I keep refreshing the page over and over and nothing comes up. I can try general registration next week, but it's unlikely I'll get in with the masses. This is the whole point of having the membership! It's supposed to help me out with this shit! WTF?

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

I’m in! I was so close to giving up, but the link finally appeared, and I am officially signed up for Dopey’s Challenge in January of 2025! I also made my room reservations for The Wilderness Lodge. It killed me to click on “None” when it asked how many park tickets I needed, but this is the only way I’ll survive 4 races over 4 days, ending with a full marathon. However, it will be a nice change to really explore a Disney resort and appreciate my room. I’ve heard The Wilderness Lodge has a nice running path. Too bad I won’t be using it at all that week.

Baboon

delicate flower

WOO HOO!  Congrats, Deathy!  Yeah the only bummer about doing the Dopey is sitting around for four days without going to the parks, but that's a smart plan.  At least you'll be at a Disney resort to lie around, instead of an off-site VRBO condo like we had.  There will be plenty of other Dopey runners there too so you won't feel alone.

<3

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

WOO HOO!  Congrats, Deathy!  Yeah the only bummer about doing the Dopey is sitting around for four days without going to the parks, but that's a smart plan.  At least you'll be at a Disney resort to lie around, instead of an off-site VRBO condo like we had.  There will be plenty of other Dopey runners there too so you won't feel alone.

I’ve never been to The Wilderness Lodge, but I think and I hope that it is far from the parks so I don’t have to see or hear all the fun. Usually after a Disney race, I hurry back to my hotel so I can shower and hit the parks, but this time will be different. I think I’ll have a lot of fun hanging out at the finish line, checking out all the silly costumes, and I can take my time going back to my room. I can enjoy a nice big breakfast after each race, and I will definitely be napping after those early AF wake-up times for each race. DH says he likely won’t be able to go with me on this trip, so I’ll have a giant king bed all to myself!

shu_runner

We stayed at Wilderness last summer.  It's beautiful.  Take the boat over to Contemporary and get that badass stack burger at Steakhouse 71.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

We stayed at Wilderness last summer.  It's beautiful.  Take the boat over to Contemporary and get that badass stack burger at Steakhouse 71.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll reserve a table as soon as reservations are available! I’ve been to a lot of Disney resort restaurants, but I haven’t explored this one yet. I think my goal will be to eat at places I’ve never been to.

DavePNW

Congrats DR! Although to me, Dopey seems like the worst experience ever. To each their own! BTW - I think it's been a while since your last full marathon - how are you feeling about that?

10 miles with 4x1200m today, which I somewhat expected to be a total fail, but actually went surprisingly well.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I can enjoy a nice big breakfast after each race 

I’ve been to a lot of Disney resort restaurants, but I haven’t explored this one yet. 

I assume you've been to the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort?  We've been to pretty much all of the WDW breakfast spots across our various race weekends and Kona Cafe was the best we've had and it's not a particularly close contest.

<3

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

Congrats DR and have a nice trip Bob.

an hour on the trainer this morning

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

shu_runner

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge also has a bangin' breakfast.  I'm not a buffet fan, but hoo boy.  That's a good one.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

Congrats DR! Although to me, Dopey seems like the worst experience ever. To each their own! BTW - I think it's been a while since your last full marathon - how are you feeling about that?

My last marathon was Chicago in 2019, and I was sick on marathon day with a miserable cold. My plan for Dopey will be to walk the 5K, walk the 10K, and the half and full marathons will be a mix of walk/jog. That's all I can do to hopefully make it through all of this. I did the Disney World Marathon back in 2009 after several days of walking around in the parks. It sucked, but I got through it. I'm not doing any parks this time around, so maybe it will be like a repeat of 2009.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

I assume you've been to the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort?  We've been to pretty much all of the WDW breakfast spots across our various race weekends and Kona Cafe was the best we've had and it's not a particularly close contest.

I have not been to any of the restaurants at the Polynesian, so I'll add this to the list as well! The Polynesian Resort is going to be my resort of choice for my retirement party.

I've been to Boma when I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge some years ago, but we had dinner instead of breakfast. It was good!