Letters & Opinions

Whatcha reading? (Read 233 times)

TheSuze

The Enders Game thread talked more about the books (which I have not read, should I?) than the movie, which got me thinking that we have not had a book thread in a while. I get a good chunk of my reading suggestions from you people and I'm in dire need of suggestions.

I recently finished The Shipping News and have also been trying to get through Anna Karenina since spring. It'a good, but I'm reading it on my kindle (it was a free book) and it's very disheartening to see that I'm only 1/4 of the way through. I'm a SUPER quick reader (I read Shipping news in a few hours), but this is my first foray into Tolstoy.

runny eggs

I'm going brain dead by reading Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.  Not very good but I want to know how it ends.

"Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies: On Myths, Morons, Free Speech, Football, and Assorted Absurdities"

Amazon link

Written by Chris Kluwe, former punter for the Minnesota Vikings, founder and bassist of the band "Tripping Icarus". Do not dismiss him as a meathead football player. A very interesting human being.

TheSuze

I'm going brain dead by reading Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.  Not very good but I want to know how it ends.

RE - I didn't finish it. The only King book I didn't finish because it was crap (I didn't finish Salem's Lot because I had nightmares from it Blush Wink

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

World War Z.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

it's a man's world

World War Z.

I loved this book!

"Everyone who can stand, stand now. If you can help others, do so." - Welles Crowther 

-

GO 49ERS! 

it's a man's world

Unbroken

It's AMAZING! Total page turner. That Louis Zamperini is fucking awesome.

"Everyone who can stand, stand now. If you can help others, do so." - Welles Crowther 

-

GO 49ERS! 

TheSuze

SL - is that the one written by the chick that wrote Seabiscuit?

gusgordon

A paper called "Critical Branching Neural Networks" which describes a neurally inspired model that can reproduce experimentally observed 1/f fluctuations in cognitive performance variability.

Birdwell

"Run Gently Out There" by John Morelock. Great book about trail and ultrajogging.

"Racing Weight"

it's a man's world

SL - is that the one written by the chick that wrote Seabiscuit?

Yep, it's fantastic

-

GO 49ERS! 

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

I loved this book!

It's great. The research Max Brooks put into it is really amazing.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

runny eggs

RE - I didn't finish it. The only King book I didn't finish because it was crap (I didn't finish Salem's Lot because I had nightmares from it Blush Wink

Salem's Lot is one of my favs because it was very disturbing.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

"Run Gently Out There" by John Morelock. Great book about trail and ultrajogging.

Me too.  And he graces us with his presence in the trail forum as well.

Running is dumb.