Letters & Opinions

Whatcha reading? (Read 233 times)

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

My favorite Beastie Boys album, by a considerable margin, is Check Your Head (1992), for the exact reason that it has more real instrumentation and jamming than the band's other albums while also bringing great raps to the table.

I remember having the cassette for license to I’ll and wearing that mess out, but I think the album I’ve prob listened to the most is to the 5 Burroughs. 

Have any of y'all watched the documentary that I guess was inspired by this book?

DavePNW

I started Lessons in Chemistry.  It's been sitting on my kindle for a while and I'd like to read it before I watch the show so I can be disappointed that the series is different from the book as a matter of course.

When the movie Wild came out, we wanted to see it but DW insisted on reading the book first. It took her forever to get around to it; after she read it, she decided that now she didn't want to see the movie.  I think I ended up watching it on my own on a plane.

Dave

DavePNW

Girl, right??? This thing has crazy high reviews and I’m baffled as to why. I love a good origin story but ffs. It’s not an awful book, but I’m beyond ready for them to get on with it. I’ve had quite enough background story on their years as punk rock youths bouncing around NYC. Maybe it gets better once they become famous.

I don't typically read celeb bios, but usually the origin story is the most interesting part for me. DW & I listened to the Dave Grohl book on audio, on a road trip. By the time our trip ended I think we got through Kurt Cobain's death (spoiler alert!) That was sufficient for me. I don't need to hear about the Foo Fighters playing stadiums and Dave the family man. Some of you will tell me the rest was really good, I'll take your word for it.

Dave

Tar Heel Mom

kween

For real.  Though I wouldn't dare say anything like that on social media or my mutual friends would tar and feather me for daring to besmirch the great Beastie Boys in any way.

I started Lessons in Chemistry.  It's been sitting on my kindle for a while and I'd like to read it before I watch the show so I can be disappointed that the series is different from the book as a matter of course.

Lessons in Chemistry is on my list, too, but I don't get Apple TV so I will never see the series.

I am probably going to supersede it with David Baddiel's Jews Don't Count and Dara Horn's People Love Dead Jews. It's been that kind of week (month).

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

DavePNW

I just finished The Mysterious Case of Rudolf Diesel: Genius, Power, and Deception on the Eve of World War I, by Douglas Brunt. The inventor of the Diesel engine was found dead under mysterious circumstances in 1913. Only a small portion of the book covers this; most of it is his life and work before then. He was one of the most influential inventors most people know nothing about.  I really enjoyed it—a great story of engine technology developments in the early industrial age, set amid the shifting European geopolitics that ultimately led to WWI. And the part about his death turned out to be fascinating too. Recommended.

Dave

DavePNW

I borrowed Look Out for the Little Guy, by Scott Lang. Yes, Ant-Man. It’s basically a recounting of all the stuff that happened in the Marvel movies, from his perspective. It seemed like it would be enjoyable, since everything Paul Rudd does as that character I find hugely entertaining. However I don’t know if he had anything to do with the book—it sure doesn’t read like it. It’s a retelling of everything you already saw in the movies, in a sort of casual, conversational style, trying to inject humor into it but not being very successful. It’s terrible. I toughed it out for a while, but ultimately decided to give up.

MTA: I told DD about it; she said they should have had Luis write it, then it would be worth reading.

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

The beastie boys book DID get better. I really enjoyed the stories. There is some totally random stuff in there, too, like a handful of janky recipes from some chef they’re friendly with, a spike jones essay about them, Amy poehler reviews 17 of their music videos, and so forth. If you’re looking for an emotional telling of Yauch’s death, don’t bother. They keep that private, which I think is appropriate. I’m glad I read it.

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

Finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. 

I know Tom Hanks is in the movie. If I do watch it I’ll watch alone.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

shu_runner

Continuing my trends of frustrating and depressing reads, my library hold become available so I had to abandon Lessons in Chemistry.  I'll pick it back up eventually.  It's probably my most neglected Kindle book to date.

I'm reading The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore.  She also wrote Radium Girls, so I anticipate this will also be a well researched, captivating, and depressing read.  Eight chapters in and I'm already mad. lol

DavePNW

Continuing my trends of frustrating and depressing reads, my library hold become available so I had to abandon Lessons in Chemistry.  I'll pick it back up eventually.  It's probably my most neglected Kindle book to date.

I'm reading The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore.  She also wrote Radium Girls, so I anticipate this will also be a well researched, captivating, and depressing read.  Eight chapters in and I'm already mad. lol

I have virtually nothing but depressing reads! I enjoyed Radium Girls; great story, although her writing style...meh. When I was reading that, I looked up other stuff she had written, and it was mostly romance novels.  Anyway, the one you're on now sounds like a good (i.e. horrible) story too.

Dave

shu_runner

Mr. Shu didn't care for her writing style either.  I don't mind it.

I don't think I'll be reading her work beyond these two.  Despite what my Kindle lock screen ads suggest, I don't typically enjoy romance novels.

DavePNW

I read The Wager, the latest book by David Grann, the author of Killers of the Flower Moon. The latter was outstanding, so I was looking forward to the new one. I was not disappointed. Add it to my list of harrowing tales of seafaring disasters, a recurring theme in my reading. It was a riveting story of shipwreck, mutiny, and conflicting accounts of what really happened. I’m usually pretty slow and push the Libby 3 week limit, but I flew through this in less than a week. Highly recommend.

Dave

I just finished this two days ago. My Dad loves these kind of books and sends them to me. Mostly what I got out of it was how tough people used to be. Nobody in today's world would be able to survive the hardships that they went through (although the majority of those sailors died). Also how dumb they used to be with things like scurvy and diseases. Doctors in 1740 weren't much good at anything other than sawing off limbs.

I read The Wager, the latest book by David Grann, the author of Killers of the Flower Moon. The latter was outstanding, so I was looking forward to the new one. I was not disappointed. Add it to my list of harrowing tales of seafaring disasters, a recurring theme in my reading. It was a riveting story of shipwreck, mutiny, and conflicting accounts of what really happened. I’m usually pretty slow and push the Libby 3 week limit, but I flew through this in less than a week. Highly recommend.

DavePNW

I just finished this two days ago. My Dad loves these kind of books and sends them to me. Mostly what I got out of it was how tough people used to be. Nobody in today's world would be able to survive the hardships that they went through (although the majority of those sailors died). Also how dumb they used to be with things like scurvy and diseases. Doctors in 1740 weren't much good at anything other than sawing off limbs.

I read a lot of these kinds of books, so can make some recommendations, but I imagine your dad has read all the same ones.

To me these books are more than anything a testament to the human survival instinct. How many people died during some of these disasters is not nearly as shocking as the fact that any of them lived. And yes they were tough, but it's mostly sad they also didn't have many options in life. It's striking how after going through such near-death ordeals, almost every one of them got right back on a ship putting themself in the potentially the same situation.

And yeah, medical science didn't really advance too much from ancient times till relatively recently. Getting treatment was often more harmful than doing nothing. A good book about John Hunter, who revolutionized things by applying more scientific methods to surgical techniques, is The Knife Man by Wendy Moore.

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

This was my takeaway when I was introduced to the civil war as well. I saw one of the “medical kits” when we visited Gettysburg, and it was basically a set of saws in varying sizes.