Letters & Opinions

Whatcha reading? (Read 233 times)

DavePNW

I have been remiss in reporting my recent reads!

The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker

This one was a beast—about 800 pages, which is usually well past my attention span. It’s the story of violence over the course of human history, and how it has unquestionably, dramatically declined over time. It looks at all different types of violence, across eras, cultures, and regions, and is chock full of data, graphs, and charts to demonstrate the trends. In each case he develops explanations for the causes. So many fascinating takeaways. It’s phenomenally well researched, eye-openingly informative, and well written. It took me quite a while to get through, but I highly recommend it if you’re willing to invest the time. 

Opposable Thumbs: How Siskel and Ebert Changed Movies Forever by Matt Singer

Brilliant title! This was a bit of fun if you’re a movie fan and remember watching them. Special appeal to me, growing up in Chicago where they started as critics for competing local papers, and had their original TV show on the local PBS affiliate. The book traces the rise of their fame and development of their relationship. They really did dislike each other at first, and disagreed on everything. But eventually came to a grudging respect and even friendship. Of course they were inseparable in the public’s mind, and their impact on the field of movie criticism was indisputable. This book was a bit repetitive and somewhat longer than it needed to be, but overall enjoyable. I actually read it while taking a break from the above book, as sort of a palate cleanser, lol. 

Terry Jones’ Medieval Lives by Terry Jones and Alan Ereira

Yes that one, of Monty Python fame, who’s also quite the accomplished Medieval historian. This looks at life in England from the Norman invasion of 1066 to the early 16th century. Rather than the usual focus on nobility and warfare (which I’ve read plenty of), it’s more about how the common man lived, and dispels some of the typical myths and assumptions people have about that period. Pretty interesting. I would not call it a Python sense of humor, but it’s written with a light touch and casual style. 

Evolution Gone Wrong: The Curious Reasons Why Our Bodies Work (Or Don’t) by Alex Bezzerides

This one was really enjoyable—super informative and a highly entertaining writing style. It goes through evolutionary explanations of how humans ended up so messed up—blurry vision, crooked teeth, painful knees & backs, nightmarish childbirth. Some of the answers you might expect, but many are surprising. I highly recommend this one.

Dave

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Loop Group by Larry McMurtry was a quick and enjoyable read. As THM put it, there were plenty of wacky characters. I will read something else by him soon.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

DavePNW

I read 27 books read this year, plus a few others I got part of the way through but aborted. A lot of really good ones; below are what I would consider the three standouts. I was going to list the top 5 but there was like an 8-way tie for #4, so I’ll leave it at this.

The Wager by David Grann - the wreck of an English warship off the coast of South America in the 18th century

River of Doubt by Candice Millard - Teddy Roosevelt’s ill-fated post-Presidential adventure into the Amazon

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick - personal stories of life in North Korea in recent decades

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

28 books for me in 2023. I have 2 in progress right now but won’t finish either tonight. 

The Dungeon Crawler Carl book series were my favorite fiction books this year. Boys in the Boat favorite nonfiction.

DavePNW

28 books for me in 2023. 

Oh damn!  Well done.

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

Oh damn!  Well done.

I was kind of surprised when I counted them up on Goodreads. If I spent less time on my phone it would be a much higher number lol.

DavePNW

I was kind of surprised when I counted them up on Goodreads. If I spent less time on my phone it would be a much higher number lol.

LOL truth. What got me recently is joining a Facebook book group a couple months ago, to look for recommendations. But I seem to spend more time looking for recommendations and tagging them on Libby than I do reading any of them.

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

LOL truth. What got me recently is joining a Facebook book group a couple months ago, to look for recommendations. But I seem to spend more time looking for recommendations and tagging them on Libby than I do reading any of them.

Do you have a good FB group you wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m in two, but they’re both full of women who enjoy mainstream popular fiction. Not judging, just not my cup of tea most of the time. I get 95% of my nonfiction recs here from you lot.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

28 books for me in 2023. I have 2 in progress right now but won’t finish either tonight. 

The Dungeon Crawler Carl book series were my favorite fiction books this year. Boys in the Boat favorite nonfiction.

I haven’t kept stats, but I’m sure my number is smaller. I have stepped up the pace in the fourth quarter.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

DavePNW

Do you have a good FB group you wouldn’t mind sharing? I’m in two, but they’re both full of women who enjoy mainstream popular fiction. Not judging, just not my cup of tea most of the time. I get 95% of my nonfiction recs here from you lot.

It’s just called “Serious Non-Fiction Books.” LOL, not too self-important sounding, but it’s what I was looking for. I just found it by doing a search, and picked it over some others based on having a large number of members, so I figured there would be a lot of activity. I’ve definitely gotten some good recs, although of course it doesn’t make me read any faster, so my list has certainly grown. My main issue is that it’s still Facebook, so the comment threads can get toxic when someone posts a book on a controversial subject. Typically that’s (1) something political, either from the left or right, or (2) something on Israel/Palestine. And there are some spam/irrelevant posts although the mods usually take care of it.

Dave

RunJasonRun

I only read a few books this year.  The new Stephen King and a few music-related books about punk/post-punk/goth.

I need to spend more time reading actual books and less time scrolling social media, watching unscripted news-related stuff on YouTube, doomscrolling in general, or whatever else.

A big part of this, I suspect, is that I need reading glasses and am in denial.  It wasn't an overnight thing, where I just woke up and couldn't see as well, but more of a gradual insidious thing that I didn't realize until it occurred to me that I no longer read a novel a week like I used to do 15 years ago and am wondering why I do not do that any more.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

shu_runner

I ended the year with 13 books.  I was aiming for 10, so nailed it.

Highlight was finishing the Harry Potter series for the first time.  
                          My power ranking:

1. Deathly Hallows

2. Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Half Blood Prince

4. Order of the Phoenix

5. Goblet of Fire

6. Sorcerer’s Stone

7. Chamber of Secrets

Curious what it would have been if these books came out when I was a kid.  I imagine I have a different perspective reading these the first time as an adult.

My favorite running book was Good for a Girl by Lauren Fleshman.  Kara Goucher’s book was good, but I found Lauren’s book more relatable.

Honorable mention to Never Enough: When Achievement Culture Becomes Toxic and What You Can Do About It.  That book stuck with me the most and has actively changed the way I approach my teen regarding his class work.

I have some curious titles lined up for 2024.  Happy reading!

DavePNW

I have some curious titles lined up for 2024. 

Such as…?

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

That Never Enough book looks interesting, shu. Added it to my list - thanks. 

Also, teenager??? UNPOSSIBLE. Like 5 mins ago I remember you posting a cute pic holding him in a buzz light year costume. wtf time, SLOW DOWN.

shu_runner

Such as…?

I’ll review them as I read them.    Dream Town is the one I’m most looking forward to reading.  Living in NE Ohio for so long, I can say Shaker Heights is a very strange place.  I’m trying to plow through Kerry Washington’s memoir first.