Letters & Opinions

Whatcha reading? (Read 233 times)

DavePNW

Goodbye, Eastern Europe: An Intimate History of a Divided Land
    by Jacob Mikanowski

This was really good. I read quite a bit of history, but like many Americans, most is focused on US or England/Western Europe. Haven’t read too much on Eastern Europe, despite it being my ancestral homeland. I’ve been missing out! The book was a truly fascinating read. It covers the story of the region—basically everything east of Germany and west of Russia—from Medieval times to the present day. Throughout its history, it’s been a crazy patchwork quilt of ethnicities, cultures, and religions. Borders have been in continuous flux, with the rise and fall of various empires and nation-states. The book seemingly manages to cover just about everything at a basic level, but avoids an excessive amount of mind-numbing minutiae. So it’s a relatively fast and easy read (by history book standards), at less than 400 pages. Highly recommended for anyone interested in history.

Dave

catwhoorg

Labrat

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

A reread from my childhood and teen years, enjoying it now as a bedtime story with the kids.
      Will likely follow with others in the series. (there are 12 completed books but I am going to skip Missee Lee due to the awful racial sterotyping and downright racist overtones)

Pigeon Post (the 5th book in the series) won the very first Carnegie Medal (THE most prestigious British award for children's literature)

The same title popped up in the watching thread during the early days of COVID when I watched the modern interpretation of it if you can think back that far.

And now we are on Swallowdale.

I have been reading The Greatest Story in Sports History of Green Bay 1919-2019 by Cliff Cristl during the downtime waiting for DWs appointments etc.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I finished Martha Wells' new Murderbot book, System Collapse.  Fan-freaking-tastic.  I think I read somewhere these books are an examination of how people on the Autism Spectrum view the world, but if I didn't - I strongly suspect they're an examination of how people on the Autism Spectrum view the world.  I now know that at least one, maybe two or three of my high school friends were on The Spectrum, and reading these reminds me strongly of them, particularly with the excellent narration by Kevin R. Free.

I'm seeing there's an Apple TV+ series coming starring Alexander Skarsgard in the lead, and I'll definitely be restarting my subscription for it.

I also started and finished the Audible Original, Snoop Dogg: From The Streets To The Suites, a "words and music" title recorded by Tha Doggfather himself.  He talks about important events in his life and career, punctuated by musical interludes - mostly off-the-cuff performances of his hits, but sometimes the songs and artists that influenced him.

I'm not as pearl-clutchy about pot use as I once was, so the main burr in my enjoyment of Snoop is the phase he went through as an actual pimp.  I thoroughly enjoyed this short listen - he has a great storytelling voice, very personable (I laughed out loud several times), and it was interesting listening to his behind-the-scenes stories from Death Row, the infamous Source Awards debacle, recording The Chronic, and meeting Dre and various other luminaries.  And the musical snippets - you know, it's easy to just think of him as a walking cloud of weed smoke spouting "izzles" with various consonants put in front, but he is a HECK of a great rapper.  Such a unique flow and delivery.

And boy, is he passionate about the youth football league he founded, for all the right reasons.  Genuinely concerned about guiding the kids who play, not just in football, but in navigating life.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

DavePNW

A Fever in the Heartland: The Ku Klux Klan’s Plot to Take Over America, and the Woman Who Stopped Him

by Tim Egan

The KKK basically ran the state of Indiana in the early 1920s. This is the story of the cult leader who was behind the explosive growth in membership (one-third of men in the state were Klansmen) and power (numerous government officials were bought & paid for), and how he was finally taken down. It’s a riveting tale, I highly recommend this book to everyone, although it will physically sicken you. 

Egan has become one of my new favorite authors. In the past year or so I’ve also read two other excellent books by him—The Worst Hard Time (about the Dust Bowl) and The Big Burn (about a major NW forest fire and Teddy Roosevelt’s establishment of the US Forestry Service).

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

I finished Old Soldiers Never Die by Frank Richards. It's a non-fiction memoir of the author's time on the Western Front during WWI. (I think this one was an algorithmic recommendation from when I finished The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Or did one of you suggest it?) It was very good. The author was fighting on the front lines for the entire damn war, from 1914 to 1918. He saw some stuff.

Moving on to something lighter on the ol' Kindle, Tom Felton's memoir, Beyond the Wand. I'm almost positive that I added this one to the list based on a recommendation from here.

I'm also listening to the audiobook of Cody Rigsby's memoir, XOXO, Cody. He's my favorite Peloton instructor and has led an interesting life full of colorful stories. I suspect most young people who picked up and moved to NYC and had to scrape their way through life for a while have some colorful stories, but Cody has a gift for storytelling. I'm maybe halfway through. I'm just getting into the part of the book where he talks about how his professional dancing career somehow transformed into this Peloton celebrity life he's currently living. He's very opinionated, very hilarious, and he reads the audiobook himself. Super fun listening.

DavePNW

River of the Gods
              by Candice Millard

This is the story of 19th century English explorers Richard Burton and John Hanning Speke, and their search for the source of the Nile—first as partners and then as rivals. It’s a riveting tale of outsized personalities and harrowing adventures; I flew through it. Highly recommended; Millard may be another one of my new favorite authors. She also wrote River of Doubt, about Teddy Roosevelt’s ill-fated expedition in the Amazon, which was excellent as well. She has two others which I’ll get to at some point: Hero of the Empire (a young Winston Churchill in the Boer War) and Destiny of the Republic (the assassination of James Garfield).

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

DavePNW

Avast!  Repent, ye scurvy dogs!

This thread's called "Whatcha reading?", so...are you reading this? I imagine it would be entertaining at first, but wouldn't take too long to get exhausting.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

This thread's called "Whatcha reading?", so...are you reading this? I imagine it would be entertaining at first, but wouldn't take too long to get exhausting.

No, not reading it, but didn’t know where else to put it.

I agree, I think the gag would get pretty thin, pretty quick.  I’m completely undecided whether I think the whole thing is a genius idea or horrifying, but if it’s the first, I can really only see it as a source to pull verses from for comedic effect.

RunJasonRun

Avast!  Repent, ye scurvy dogs!

Fun fact: "Pirate talk" was not a thing until the 1950 Disney live-action movie adaptation of Treasure Island.  Robert Newton's Long John Silver, brought us what is now universally recognized as the stereotypical “pirate voice.”

Arrr, matey, I has me a threshold for how long I can listens to 'tis here accent, but, ahoy there, that there Newton acts out the role so lively well that he be forgiven. Don't ye be worried about that there over-the-top dialect, as it won't harm a hair o' your little head.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

DavePNW

Back to our regularly scheduled book reports:

AftermathLife in the Fallout of the Third Reich, 1945-1955
                        By Harald Jähner (Translated from German to English by Shaun Whiteside)

This book is excellent. It describes the experiences of living in post-WWII Germany (mostly focused on the West), in a wide variety of aspects. If you haven’t read much in depth about the period (which I hadn’t)—so many things you wouldn’t have thought about. For example: a whole chapter about all the rubble that had to be cleared, and how that was handled. The book mainly covered how people lived day to day—in the immediate post-war times, dealing with abject poverty, hunger, homelessness, and complete lack of infrastructure. Gender roles adapted, with women being the ones left behind and taking control of their situation. There were millions of “displaced people,” wandering with nothing but the clothes on their backs. People were forced to rely on a black market economy to survive. It explored the various interpersonal relationships—with returning spouses, with former Nazis, with their Allied conquerors. The book ultimately took us through the recovery—economic, political, cultural. But it also addressed the idea of repression—how Germans dealt emotionally with what their own country and people had done. There were a few portions that were not so interesting to me, such as a significant section on the abstract art movement that emerged. But overall, fascinating and highly engaging. It did an admirable job of putting you inside the heads of the people living through the era.

Dave

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

I finished reading both of the memoirs I posted about here. Tom Felton's was great. I'd recommend it. Cody Rigsby's, not so much. His book appealed to me bc he's hilarious as a Peloton instructor, so I erroneously expected a hilarious memoir. It had a few amusing bits but was mostly serious with a lot of advice and "life lessons." It's hard to take that kind of thing seriously from a dancer-turned-fitness-instructor who's still in his 30s. Not terrible, but not what I was after.

I also finished the audiobook of Into Thin Air about the 1996 Mount Everest disaster. The author is one of the climbers who survived, so it's a first-hand account augmented by a lot of content he gathered through interviews. The book has really high ratings, and the tale itself is wild, but for some reason I found the storytelling in this book to be a little dry. Maybe it was the guy reading the audiobook, I don't know.

For my next Kindle book, I've started Twelve Years a Slave. For my next audiobook, Touching the Void, another mountain climbing disaster book.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I also finished the audiobook of Into Thin Air about the 1996 Mount Everest disaster. The author is one of the climbers who survived, so it's a first-hand account augmented by a lot of content he gathered through interviews. The book has really high ratings, and the tale itself is wild, but for some reason I found the storytelling in this book to be a little dry. Maybe it was the guy reading the audiobook, I don't know.

I read this book on paper several months ago. It held my attention pretty well. I can understand why you would call the storytelling to be a little dry though. The book really opened my eyes up to the industry that surrounds climbing Mt. Everest - something in which your life is at risk under the best of circumstances. Thankfully, climbing Mt. Everest is not anything that I have ever wanted to do. If it had been something I wanted to do, I think the book would have squashed that desire down.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

DavePNW

I read Into Thin Air many years ago. I enjoyed it, and agree with Bob's comments. If the author's intent was to highlight the dangers of the overcommercialization of Everest climbing and reverse the trend, if anything I think it's had the opposite effect.

For my next Kindle book, I've started Twelve Years a Slave. For my next audiobook, Touching the Void, another mountain climbing disaster book.

The first one seems like a nope for me. It's strange because the majority of the books I read are about horrific stuff, but I'll see some and think I could never get through it. I just looked it up, and never realized the original was written in 1853. Does it read like it?

I haven't read any climbing disasters aside from Into Thin Air, but other types of disaster stories are one of my favorite genres - typically 18th-19th century ocean-going or polar exploration debacles. I've got lots of recommendations in those areas!

Dave

RunJasonRun

For my next audiobook, Touching the Void, another mountain climbing disaster book.

This one is great!  As is the movie adaptation.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.