Letters & Opinions

Whatcha reading? (Read 233 times)

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

This one is great!  As is the movie adaptation.

I watched the movie years ago and always wanted to read the book, so here we goooooo!

I read Into Thin Air many years ago.

Same, a great book.

I've read a few of the authors other books; "Under the Banner of Heaven", "Where Men Win Glory" and "Into the Wild" all really good.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

The first one seems like a nope for me. It's strange because the majority of the books I read are about horrific stuff, but I'll see some and think I could never get through it. I just looked it up, and never realized the original was written in 1853. Does it read like it?

It does. I’m about 20% in so far. I feel compelled to read books about the black experience. Some of my closest college friends were women of color, and they got me started with fictional books like The Color Purple. Last year I read The Souls of Black Folk and Uncle Tom’s Cabin. They’re never “enjoyable” reads, but they are good books and I believe it’s important to read them anyway. I am positive that if it ever became legal to own a certain flavor of human again, there’s a subset of the population who’d be all over that shit immediately.

DavePNW

It does. I’m about 20% in so far. I feel compelled to read books about the black experience. Some of my closest college friends were women of color, and they got me started with fictional books like The Color Purple. Last year I read The Souls of Black Folk and Uncle Tom’s Cabin. They’re never “enjoyable” reads, but they are good books and I believe it’s important to read them anyway. I am positive that if it ever became legal to own a certain flavor of human again, there’s a subset of the population who’d be all over that shit immediately.

Not one of my main genres, but I mix in a few. Some good ones I’ve read that are at least somewhat related:

• The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wikerson - I assume you may have read this because it was so huge; if not, I’d put it at the top of your list. Also by her, Caste is on my list.
          • The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (fiction) - I hardly read any fiction, but this one could be real. Also by him, The Nickel Boys is on my list.
          • The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs - spoiler is right there in the title, so you know what you’re getting yourself into.
          • A Fever in the Heartland by Tim Egan - the KKK domination of Indiana in the 1920s; I just posted about this one recently, it’s a must-read.

Dave

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Same, a great book.

I've read a few of the authors other books; "Under the Banner of Heaven", "Where Men Win Glory" and "Into the Wild" all really good.

Agree.  I like Krakauer's writing.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

javed24

Spam

I have a shelf with about 40 of my favorite books on top of my bookcase. This book is up there. N. Scott Momaday died at 89 last week.

https://www.cbc.ca/books/house-made-of-dawn-by-n-scott-momaday-1.6862187

DavePNW

The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World
                  by Simon Winchester

This book looks at the history of our improvements in precision. Each chapter covers a new technology that required a higher level of precision than was previously attainable, and explains how and by whom it it was achieved. They are sequenced chronologically and in order of increasing precision requirements, from steam engines to automobiles to aircraft to spacecraft to microprocessors, among others along the way. I enjoyed this book immensely, having spent my adult life working in engineering and industrial manufacturing environments. I recommend it especially to anyone with a similar background, or otherwise mechanically minded. I’d say that’s very helpful but not necessarily essential, if the subject matter seems interesting. He treads a reasonable balance between avoiding boring those who are knowledgeable on the concepts, and avoiding overwhelming those who are not. There are certainly some cases where he crosses the line in one of those directions, but he has a difficult task considering the content. He does a good job describing each of the technologies in detail, but some of it can be tough to follow and visualize unless you’ve seen it with your own eyes, or at least something similar. It would be great as a documentary series, to show you what he’s talking about, because much of it is hard to describe adequately in words.

On a side note: for anyone who reads a lot of non-fiction, there are far too many books with a subtitle along the lines of “How ____ Created the Modern World.” This one is certainly justified, but still.

Dave

shu_runner

Finished Dream Town: Shaker Heights and the Quest for Racial Equity.  It was a very interesting, well-researched book. My knowledge of Shaker was mostly limited to our youth sports interactions with the community and the beautiful drive it provides when you need to avoid the interstates into Cleveland. Also, Little Fires Everywhere. The benefit of hindsight can easily pinpoint areas where Shaker stumbled or outright failed in their pioneering and continued quest for racial integration within their community and education system.  However, my main takeaway was being struck by how many deeply caring, well-intentioned people fought to make this community what it is today, albeit flawed but still striving for the equity most affluent communities abandon in order to maintain their established privilege.

One of these days I’ll read some fiction, but I’ve been on quite the nonfiction tear lately.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

I finished Touching the Void. It was good. Awe-inspiring, really. Joe Simpson is a fucking beast.

Short version of this true tale: Two guys climb a mountain. On the way down one of them falls and breaks the shit out of his leg, then falls from a great height into a crevasse. His partner believes he is dead and continues down the mountain, but the bastard SURVIVED. This tough son of a bitch somehow manages to climb out of the hole with one working leg, then hops and crawls all the way back to the camp over the next few days.

It is a crazy story. In the epilogue, he talks about having six surgeries on the leg so far, and despite what doctors told him, not only is his leg functional again but he is back out there CLIMBING MOUNTAINS ffs.

There's also a documentary/drama film by the same name that keeps true to the events. The two men narrate the tale during the movie, so you get insight into what they were thinking and how they were feeling, just as you do in the book. I do not remember being quite as grossed out by descriptions of the broken leg during the movie as I was during the book. Talk of scraping bones and twisting gristle.... /gag.

DavePNW

I’ve been on quite the nonfiction tear lately.

:highfive:

Dave

DavePNW

It is a crazy story. In the epilogue, he talks about having six surgeries on the leg so far, and despite what doctors told him, not only is his leg functional again but he is back out there CLIMBING MOUNTAINS ffs.

Common story but I cannot even imagine. People are just wired differently; if that’s what you do, that’s what you do. All the disastrous 19th century expeditions I read about—guys are stranded near death in the middle of the ocean or stuck in polar ice, for like a year. They somehow make it home just barely alive, and soon enough they get right back to it.

Dave

RunJasonRun

I finished Touching the Void. It was good. Awe-inspiring, really. Joe Simpson is a fucking beast.

Short version of this true tale: Two guys climb a mountain. On the way down one of them falls and breaks the shit out of his leg, then falls from a great height into a crevasse. His partner believes he is dead and continues down the mountain, but the bastard SURVIVED. This tough son of a bitch somehow manages to climb out of the hole with one working leg, then hops and crawls all the way back to the camp over the next few days.

There's also a documentary/drama film by the same name that keeps true to the events. The two men narrate the tale during the movie, so you get insight into what they were thinking and how they were feeling, just as you do in the book. I do not remember being quite as grossed out by descriptions of the broken leg during the movie as I was during the book. Talk of scraping bones and twisting gristle.... /gag.

If I remember correctly, the climber who went down the mountain believing that his partner was dead endured a lot of criticism from the climbing community after that, although it is easy to see why he would have believed that his partner was gone.  I cannot imagine the mixed feelings, guilt and such, that he must have had when his wounded partner made it back to camp alive.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

RunJasonRun

Stephen King has a new book coming out in May.  You Like It Darker is a collection of 12 short stories.

I have always loved King's short fiction, and, in fact, often prefer his short stories to his novels.  He tends to be more unapologetically bleak with the short stuff.

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

DavePNW

On the subject of upcoming releases from some of our favorite authors—Erik Larson has a new one coming in April called The Demon of Unrest. It covers the 5 months between Lincoln’s election and the start of the Civil War. I’ve already got it on hold on Libby.

Dave