Letters & Opinions

L&O Karma Thread (Read 911 times)

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Malcolm Gladwell has a blog. His current piece is "How to Fix High School Sports."

I'm curious to see what you all think about it, especially Jan since she has kids who have run high school track. (His solution is specific to cross country.)

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Village people

I think it is an interesting idea. I’d like to see more kids running cross country and I could see that creating a more exciting atmosphere. The coaches pay attention to the points but as a spectator I don’t really pay attention and I rarely know who wins the meet. Like the author mentioned, with more points to be had it could add some drama and excitement to the entire meet. My dream is to get cross country and track meets to have the feel of the high school Friday night football games. 

We have a pretty small school and getting 20 boys and girls each season is kind of a stretch. There are also no cuts at the school. There are JV teams, freshman teams… if we have the interest in that sport there is always a place to play. Football has a very organized group of parent boosters for fundraising but any away school related meet is funded by the school.  We’ve gone to non school meets for the experience but we had to fund that ourselves.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I think it is an interesting idea. I’d like to see more kids running cross country and I could see that creating a more exciting atmosphere. The coaches pay attention to the points but as a spectator I don’t really pay attention and I rarely know who wins the meet. Like the author mentioned, with more points to be had it could add some drama and excitement to the entire meet. My dream is to get cross country and track meets to have the feel of the high school Friday night football games. 

We have a pretty small school and getting 20 boys and girls each season is kind of a stretch. There are also no cuts at the school. There are JV teams, freshman teams… if we have the interest in that sport there is always a place to play. Football has a very organized group of parent boosters for fundraising but any away school related meet is funded by the school.  We’ve gone to non school meets for the experience but we had to fund that ourselves.

First day of school.  Once more unto the breach.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Village people

The girls start at the end of August and the boys go back next week. Older one is moving off campus which will be interesting. He has been working all summer and will get a job to cover rent. The other one is scrambling to get stuff done, as usual. DD starts her program next week and a neighbor has asked her to maybe house with for a couple of months which would be great for her! She’d be next door but have lots of peace and quiet.

StepbyStep-SH

Good luck!

DS has two weeks and two days before he goes back. Which seems like just around the corner.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Village people

Good luck!

DS has two weeks and two days before he goes back. Which seems like just around the corner.

Summer seems to start slow but speeds up as it goes along.

Village people

Moving one kid into an off campus apartment today and the other I

into his dorm tomorrow. It would have been nice if DH had planned his vacation for this week.

craig_c98

Embrace the suck

Moving one kid into an off campus apartment today and the other I

into his dorm tomorrow. It would have been nice if DH had planned his vacation for this week.

Oh he planned all right.

I finally quit drinking for good - now I drink for evil

Village people

Oh he planned all right.

Yeah, haha.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Yeah, haha.

Let us know if you need to have us 'educate' your DH.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Village people

Let us know if you need to have us 'educate' your DH.

Apparently he is busy planning a coup at one of the offices at work.

DS2 is pretty easy. Hopefully because he is moving in early, DS3 won’t be too bad. He moves in the day before most other freshman so it might not be too crazy.

Village people

Got them both landed! DS2 took about ten minutes. He didn’t want me to stay and help set up. He is so focused on being independent.

DS2 was a bit more involved. He is in a forced triple so we did some furniture rearranging to make the space make sense. Parents ate for free at the dining hall so I grabbed some tofu and left DS with his cross country teammates. 

RunJasonRun

Congrats!

You got 'em.  Let the anticipation begin.  

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Glad you got them moved in, DJJ.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Holy shit.  Anyone else listen to the podcast Serial back in the day?  Adnan Syed is out of jail.

Running is dumb.