Letters & Opinions

L&O Karma Thread (Read 911 times)

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

Aww, congrats on the new fur buddy.

My friend has a similar looking dog named Chase, so he looks like a Chase to me.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Cute pup.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

We are car shopping. We're replacing my 2008 Mazda, so it'll be my car. The transmission is acting weird, the check engine light keeps coming on, and every time it rains there's water getting in on the passenger side. It's time.

I went into this thinking I wanted a crossover type vehicle, but my husband wanted to check out a couple bigger SUVs, and now I can't seem to figure out wtf I want. We are down to either the Honda CRV or the Kia Telluride lol, which are nowhere near each other as far as size. The Telluride is definitely overkill for our family of 3, but with the back row of seats folded down it has about the same amount of space as any other SUV we looked at. Both are at the top of multiple "best car" lists, and both have won a bunch of safety awards and whatnot.

I have not picked out a new car for myself since 1997 when I bought my Saturn. We drive cars until they are on the brink of death. The 2008 Mazda I'm driving now was something we wrote my in-laws a check for in 2014 because they were ready to get rid of it. I was pregnant, and we needed a 4-door vehicle, so it made sense. But now, after 26 years since I actually shopped for and picked out my own car, back when I was poor and working a shitty food service job and had to be cheap about it, there's definitely a part of me screaming to make the impractical choice and GO BIG, YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO THIS AGAIN UNTIL YOU'RE 70! But sensible Jen says the CRV has plenty of space for us, gets better gas mileage, and will be a hell of a lot easier to park.

Anyone own one of these vehicles and/or have strong opinions about them?

DavePNW

But sensible Jen says the CRV has plenty of space for us, gets better gas mileage, and will be a hell of a lot easier to park.

My 2 cents is to listen to Sensible Jen. I know this is ‘Murica, but I don’t get the need to go so big, unless you’re regularly hauling a lot of people and/or shit. Especially with gas prices these days. We downsized from a Ford Freestyle (full-sized crossover) to a Ford Escape. It’s considered small but it’s all we really need.

Dave

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

For whatever it’s worth, we like our 2018 CR-V.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'm a big fan of the current Mazda CX-5/50

Heck with just the three of you, the CX-3/30 may be on the table.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

n a m

1stBrn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Unicrn

Nice dog Dave, congrats!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

Thank you all for the car input. I'm still undecided. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

I'm a big fan of the current Mazda CX-5/50

Heck with just the three of you, the CX-3/30 may be on the table.

We went and looked at the Mazda CX-5, but we both liked the Honda CRV better. And they didn't have a single CX-50 on the lot for us to see.

I did not enjoy admitting that to my husband haha. I drive a Mazda 3 right now and really like it, plus it's been a reliable car, so I was pushing to buy another Mazda. He was the Honda advocate.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

Does anyone here know much about "Section 8" housing? My property management company called me today. They have a person interested in renting my house, but they are Section 8, and she wanted to check with me first before showing her the house. I told her that I'm just not familiar with it or the whole process. She gave me a brief explanation that it just means that this woman doesn't make a lot of money to pay rent and the government would be paying me rent through my property manager. She said this is a plus, because the payments are consistent and on time. She also said this woman has a good credit score, which is rare in section 8 situations, and has lived in one place for the last 4 years (this makes it easy for them to do a reference check with her current landlord). She has 3 kids and doesn't make much money, and that's why she needs government assistance. Does this sound like an accurate explanation of "section 8"? I Googled it, and I didn't find any info that made it look like a bad deal. The interested party also makes a living as a house-cleaner, which means there's a good possibility that she would keep my house clean. Definitely a PLUS!

DavePNW

I just know it as the thing Klinger was trying to get on MASH.

Dave

alywheel

I only know from the Netflix series “Maid” that the main character, Alex, had a very difficult time finding someone who would rent to her through government programs. It was heartbreaking.

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

I remember my parents being super pissed when we lived in Vegas a looooong time ago. Our next-door neighbor rented their house out to section 8 and they were all OMG OUR PROPERTY VALUES. Basically, they assumed the worst and believed the people who moved in were going to trash the place. They decided to move, so I never got to see if their assumptions were based in reality.

SO! If you have like-minded turd neighbors, they might get mad at you. That's all I've got.

DeathRunnr

That Death Thingy

I remember my parents being super pissed when we lived in Vegas a looooong time ago. Our next-door neighbor rented their house out to section 8 and they were all OMG OUR PROPERTY VALUES. Basically, they assumed the worst and believed the people who moved in were going to trash the place. They decided to move, so I never got to see if their assumptions were based in reality.

SO! If you have like-minded turd neighbors, they might get mad at you. That's all I've got.

How would anyone in the neighborhood know that someone is renting the house under section 8? Unless that person tells everybody or puts a sign in my front yard that says “I RENT THIS HOUSE WITH GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE”, I don’t understand how anybody would know that.

Little Blue

Does anyone here know much about "Section 8" housing? My property management company called me today. They have a person interested in renting my house, but they are Section 8, and she wanted to check with me first before showing her the house. I told her that I'm just not familiar with it or the whole process. She gave me a brief explanation that it just means that this woman doesn't make a lot of money to pay rent and the government would be paying me rent through my property manager. She said this is a plus, because the payments are consistent and on time. She also said this woman has a good credit score, which is rare in section 8 situations, and has lived in one place for the last 4 years (this makes it easy for them to do a reference check with her current landlord). She has 3 kids and doesn't make much money, and that's why she needs government assistance. Does this sound like an accurate explanation of "section 8"? I Googled it, and I didn't find any info that made it look like a bad deal. The interested party also makes a living as a house-cleaner, which means there's a good possibility that she would keep my house clean. Definitely a PLUS!

We've had rentals for 20+ years. Everyone we've every talked to advised that we run screaming away from section 8. It looks good on paper, but isn't worth the hassle. Perhaps since you have the property manager running interference,  it might work. Do they have actual experience with it? If not, I'd pass.

Everyone we've every talked to advised that we run screaming away from section 8.

this is the correct answer

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn