Letters & Opinions

FSocks Mesquite Canyon 50K (Read 109 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Excellent timing of this RR as I'll be running my first ultra (also 30 miles and also crazy elevation changes, hopefully no bees, maybe bears) in a few month.

I'll be looking for some trail shoes, hand held bottle and possibly even camelback (not for this first ultra, but for my second one The Canadian Death Race in August). I've never ran caring anything in my life. This is a new territory for me.

Did you do any specific training for this race ? Hills, downhills, trails ?

Goo, I was woefully unprepared for this.  Coming off a couple of marathon training cycles over the winter my endurance was good but virtually zero hill/trail work.  Over the last 2 weeks I did go out to the trails and run Goat Camp (13 miles round trip) and the "Competitive Loop" (7 mile mildly challenging trail).  I only had 1 run longer than the 13 mile Goat Camp run since my mid-February marathon.

Hydration?  Like you I hardly carry anything on my runs except during the blazing Phoenix summers.  I actually bought a camelback with the intent of using it.  Then I though about running the first 13 with just water bottles and picking  up the camelback at the drop point.  Due to the weather being mild (high of only 79) I decided to skip the camelback altogether and run with two .5 liter bottles of water in my shorts pocket. Fuel belt?  pfftt!  Beginners wear those.  I did wear a small fanny pack to carry my food in though.  There were 2 portions where there were no aide stations for 9 miles.  The 2nd of the two I did run out of water about a mile before the aid station.  Fortunately it was downhill and I was able to ease into it.

Trail shoes?  YES!! get busy now finding a pair that are comfortable and that work for you.  I was very lucky to have a friend loan me a pair of his demo shoes that worked great.  New Balance MT 1210 in case you're wondering.  I tried a pair of Brooks Cascadias that felt great in the store but gave me blisters on an 8 mile road run.

You people have issues 

MI_Tim

Run the extra mile or gtfo.

shu_runner

Nice job and beautiful pictures!

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

11.5k elevation change? eff that noise.

it's cool that you've found something fun and new with trail running though. great race, and congrats on not getting stung to death.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Awesome!  I love reading ultra RR's.  Good job on those beastly climbs.

paulski66

miscreant

Nice job on your first ultra, FS.  Don't worry about the distance being off - that's pretty normal.

+1. Those trail hippies aren't real sticklers for accuracy.

But dude...are you fucking nuts? That looks like one crazy-ass race. Good job in sticking it out and making it through.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Seems like a nice hike.  Good job.

craig_c98

Embrace the suck

Great run.  I can almost envision a 50K ultra. That 50 + mile shit -- no way in hell.  Can't help but think running through the bees might have given you a little adrenaline kick to the finish.

I finally quit drinking for good - now I drink for evil

#artbydmcbride

Great job!  You have me convinced...no Ultra races for me!  Big grin

Runners run

those pictures are teh awesome.

makes me want to try an ultra

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

#artbydmcbride

those pictures are teh awesome.

makes me want to try an ultra

Roll eyes

Runners run

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Confirmed:  Goal #2 met.  I was not DFL, I placed 44th out of 66.   Roll eyes

You people have issues 

WickedWitchofTheMidwest

This sounds miserable in every way.  Except for the getting new shoes part.

Really awesome job, though.  You definitely have the ability (speed/positive attitude/work ethic/touch of crazy) to be competitive in trail races and ultras.  You're probably even ready for your first 50k now!

Duke of Douchebaggery

Damn it!  Here I am trying to get my achilles healed up enough just to do normal mileage and FSocks has me thinking about one of my local trail runs.

http://www.sweatrc.com/Whiskeytown_Trail_Runs/

Must focus on rehab.  Do not start thinking about events again.  Must focus!!!

Damn it!  Here I am trying to get my achilles healed up enough just to do normal mileage and FSocks has me thinking about one of my local trail runs.

http://www.sweatrc.com/Whiskeytown_Trail_Runs/

Must focus on rehab.  Do not start thinking about events again.  Must focus!!!

Rehab is for sissies.