Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

npaden

Thought I finally had my sub 10:00 6 mile MAF (still using 136) run in the bag this morning.  At mile 3.5 I was at 134 avg HR and 9:57 avg pace.  Had a little hill and then turned to finish with a slight breeze, but instead of speeding up a bit with the wind at my back, the higher humidity than normal this morning and the fact that the wind was blowing about the same speed I was running ended up getting me heated up and slowing down.  Roll eyes

Ended up with a 10:01 avg pace and a 137 avg HR for 6.08 miles.  Mile 2 was a 9:37 pace and a 134 avg HR, but it is a tiny bit downhill and was a nice little cross wind.

Hopefully it will be a nice day on Thursday and I think I will try it again.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

40 minutes recovery run/walk

lots of yard work the past 5 days adding to the load.

good for full body strength

Cool

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ended up doing 5 miles @ 142HR and 11:55 or close to that.  Super humid today.

Damaris

Rse

I've had great luck using the MARCO Marathon Calculator for that.  If you follow the HRs, not the paces,

I like the idea of the Marco race HR's.

I'm going to try to use it on my HM's coming up.

I've decided for my training until the fall I will do

Mon/Weds MAF :30 jog

Tues/Thurs Bike at "MAF minus 10"

Weekend  MAF Long Run

This should get This Beginner to the starting line in the Fall and count as 6+ months of basebuilding.

I certainly won't be speedy but I should be able to finish the Half and spend the next 6 months training for another Half I have coming up.

I was going to MAF/jog 5 days a week but I got nervous I would get injured because I am so new (again) to exercise/jogging

It's hard for me to know what to do as a beginner.  My #1 goal is to avoid injury

Fran

I really like the calculator.  You do have to "know" how your HR drift behaves, though.  My HR always spikes up much earlier, but takes much longer to drift, than the calculator suggests.  It takes until mile 13 for me to line up with what it says.  This is pretty in line with my daily runs--my HR drift tends to happen FAST (1-2 miles), then pretty much stop.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the fall.  I really, really prefer time-based plans to distance-based ones, too.

I like the idea of the Marco race HR's.

I'm going to try to use it on my HM's coming up.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

npaden

I'm also very interested in the MARCO calculator, but like everything else in life, it seems to all depend on the day I'm having for what my HR is going to do that day.

My last 3 MP Tempo runs have been all over the board on my HR, from 4 beats lower than where they say it should be at the end of 13 miles, to 2 beats higher on the next one, and then my last one I ended up averaging 166 when it is saying I should be at 159 avg at the end of 13 miles.  This last one was 79 degrees, windy and sunny so I know that was an issue, but not sure on the others.

Hopefully Sunday will be a good day.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

All my marathon PRs have happened when I do 3 miles at easy HR, 10-13 miles at 155 (target HR) and the last part of the marathon at 157-160.  Something similar to marco that works for me.

7 with 2 @ MP.  148 average.  Not bad.

Damaris

My MAF mile one can vary by up to a minute within the same week--stress from work, quality of sleep, what I'm eating, proximity to a hard workout, weather...

Racing is all about fighting a war against otherwise unresolvable uncertainty and finding what you are capable of in that specific moment--no others. Smile

I'm also very interested in the MARCO calculator, but like everything else in life, it seems to all depend on the day I'm having for what my HR is going to do that day.

My last 3 MP Tempo runs have been all over the board on my HR, from 4 beats lower than where they say it should be at the end of 13 miles, to 2 beats higher on the next one, and then my last one I ended up averaging 166 when it is saying I should be at 159 avg at the end of 13 miles.  This last one was 79 degrees, windy and sunny so I know that was an issue, but not sure on the others.

Hopefully Sunday will be a good day.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I was going to MAF/jog 5 days a week but I got nervous I would get injured because I am so new (again) to exercise/jogging

It's hard for me to know what to do as a beginner.  My #1 goal is to avoid injury

I was able to increase my training days  to 5-6 by staying 8-10 under maff  3 days a week. 2- 3 days at maff .

2 mile walk no HRM

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Rse

Now that's a good idea (below)

I have a lot of Fun on my bike though.

I think I will keep the bike for the Days 4 and 5 for now, and maybe for the six months until the first HM comes around.

After than I think I will feel more confident to add in MAF-10 jog days on Days 4 and 5.

I hadn't thought of under MAF...I was just thinking of going shorter duration, so I'm glad you mentioned this!

I was able to increase my training days  to 5-6 by staying 8-10 under maff  3 days a week. 2- 3 days at maff .

Fran

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I hadn't thought of under MAF...I was just thinking of going shorter duration, so I'm glad you mentioned this!

Thanks to Jimmy for that tidbit

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Chasing the bus

Had another stupid week, complete with a non-running injury. Back on the road thursday, long run friday, finished with 6 miles in the fresh snow Surprised today. 24 miles total this week...

Good weekend, all!

John

Edit;

Just filled in my race calendar and worked backwards to schedule workouts and taper...looks like I start into anaerobic next week?! I promise to run another MAF test, and a treadmill MAF test before starting (treadmill test will be my first anaerobic work since the last one), and then run both again later, before I start MAFFing again, to test results of anaerobic. I have enough races coming up to test out how my base building went.

Later,

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

4 mile walk

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

5 miles at 140, 8:25 pace this morning.  Only second run since the HM and my left knee has not been happyfor either one.  Sounds crazy, but i think my left shoelaces were too tight at the race which damaged the tendon on top of my foot which strained the muscle on the front of the leg which irritated something in the knee.  Chain reaction theory seems plausible anyway.  Guess I'm gonna have to take a full week off and try again.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5 miles at 140, 8:25 pace this morning.  Only second run since the HM and my left knee has not been happyfor either one.  Sounds crazy, but i think my left shoelaces were too tight at the race which damaged the tendon on top of my foot which strained the muscle on the front of the leg which irritated something in the knee.  Chain reaction theory seems plausible anyway.  Guess I'm gonna have to take a full week off and try again.

http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/lacingthelydiardway.aspx

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter